Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #16

Darn it, this thread makes me want to go especially considering I've gone to the one at the Mall a dozen times, but not to the one in chantilly while living just a few miles away...I hate having to pay $15 alone.

04-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Are you confusing the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center with the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum on the Mall? I used a monopod last year without issue at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, but things change.

Thank you
Russell

Here's the email....

(Mine)

Hi:

I will be visiting Washington DC on a mostly photographic vacation.
I will be bringing a monopod (essentially a tripod with only one leg) with me. It measures about 26" when collapsed.
As I plan to be riding public transportation, I will not have the opportunity to put this item in a vehicle for storage purposes should you not allow it in the buildings.
Is there a problem bringing it inside?
Hope not, as I assume it is fairly dark inside...

(Theirs)

Your inquiry of March 13, 2010, regarding your visit to the Smithsonian has been received in the Smithsonian's Public Inquiry Mail Service for response.

For safety reasons, the use of tripods and monopods is not permitted at any time in any Smithsonian museum. Security officers will permit you to carry your monopod with you inside the museums if you assure them that you will not use it.

Blah, blah, blah...

Further helpful information you can use to plan your visit may be found at Smithsonian: Visitor Information

We appreciate your interest in the Smithsonian.
04-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Here's the email....
We appreciate your interest in the Smithsonian.
I think you got the standard wet blanket response. The Center operates on its own as it is out in the boonies. There usually aren't the crowds that you get on the Mall and even if it did, the place is huge. Monopod, flash, they let you touch a spacesuit, try on the gloves, touch parts of the Wright Flyer, crawl into a Cessna 150, you might find an author/pilot of a book doing a signing, the place has its own personality, much better, than anything on the Mall.

At worse if they say no, your car is outside or there are plenty of lockers if you are a drop off. There is a runway about one or two miles away, and at 3:30-5:30pm the planes start landing. I've been there once when they were using it for take offs and the planes pretty much curve over the Center. Take a tripod and leave it in the car for this. No one is going to chase you out of the parking lot once the building closes.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 04-26-2010 at 08:02 PM.