Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 10-20mm or Tamron 10-24mm?

Which of these 2 lenses do you think is the best bet? Both are less than $500 on Amazon.

Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

I would prefer the more expensive Sigma (Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX HS) because it's faster, but it's more than I can spend.

So between the 2 lenses above, which one would you buy?

I'm going to be taking a trip soon and would be taking this lens, plus a DA 40mm and DA 55-300 only. I'm trying to keep it down to 3 lenses in my bag so will leave out my kit 18-55. Thanks for your expert opinions, I need them!

04-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See the Lens Review section of this forum, and the various other threads that exist comparing the different wide angle options. The Sigma generally does pretty well; the Tamron decidedly less so.
04-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I chose the tamron...

I rented the sigma 10-20 while on vacation last year. The images were OK, but I was expecting more. As a result, I purchased the Tamron earlier this year. I like the colors more from the tamron....

naturally, your "mileage may differ".

mark
04-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club.html
I'm sure it'll help you decide... I don't think I need to say where I'm casting my vote

04-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I would prefer the more expensive Sigma (Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX HS) because it's faster, but it's more than I can spend.

So between the 2 lenses above, which one would you buy?
The new, more expensive version of the Sigma is generally accepted as being poorer (in image quality) than the older version.

As for the Tamron, according to DPReview it has better (ie less) distortion than the Sigma, but is soft wide open and has soft corners at all apertures. It is also faster (f3.5-4.5 vs f4-5.6) and has better range (10-24 vs 10-20).

However, the Sigma is apparently a noticeably sharper lens (not that either are going to beat a Takumar!), and of the two I'd have that. In fact I just did: one is en route to me as I write.
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I decided

Okay, original poster here. This has been a long, arduous process :-) , but I decided to go with the Sigma 10-20. I've never had this much of a wide angle, so it will open up completely new images for me.

And like I said in another post, I'm going on my "dream trip" soon that will include Moscow's Red Square, the Gobi desert and the Great Wall of China. I just 'had' to have a big wide angle.

My next purchase will be something like the new Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM that's coming out (if the reviews are good and I can afford it!) and then I'll be 'done'.

Thanks to everyone for helping me through this decision.
04-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #7

Glad to hear you've made a decision!

I've found my Tamron 10-24 soft when I pixel peep, but I think that it is unrealistic to judge a low-cost lens at that level of detail.

I've printed several shots from my tammy at 11x17" on my new Epson, and they look amazing, much better than on the screen, and at that size there is no softness visible. I've yet to decide on a 13x19 paper, but I don't expect the results to differ when I do step up to that print size.

The only fault I hold against the Tamron, and maybe it's more a body problem, it consistently exhibits slight over exposure in bright conditions. I've tried matrix, center weighted and spot, all OE. I'm shooting in RAW now so it's not a big problem to correct.
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I will do a trip in Greece soon and I make my choice also going with Tamron

04-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Okay, original poster here. This has been a long, arduous process :-) , but I decided to go with the Sigma 10-20. I've never had this much of a wide angle, so it will open up completely new images for me.

And like I said in another post, I'm going on my "dream trip" soon that will include Moscow's Red Square, the Gobi desert and the Great Wall of China. I just 'had' to have a big wide angle.

My next purchase will be something like the new Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM that's coming out (if the reviews are good and I can afford it!) and then I'll be 'done'.

you know how many times have I said that?
my wife doesn't even bother to give me sarcastic grin when I say that every now and then again...
04-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
SEalonsf: I decided

Congratulations--you are going to love this one.