Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Wide angle lenses are not for landscapes. This is some sort of a popular myth: since the world is wide we need a wide angle to cover it. But a wide angle lens has the effect of pushing away and diminishing anything that is not close to it, which means everything in the landscape. Mountains become hills and hills become molehills. This is not the way to build a dramatic or interesting shot.
I don't agree with your statement about a wide angle lens not being for landscapes.

That's not to say that I think in order to be a landscape photo you must use a wide angle lens - Never once in the OP did I say that. I've used my 50-200 or my 150mm plenty of times shooting landscapes. But neither does that exclude a wide angle from being useful for such photographs either.

It does work more like you describe later, when you drop the lecture, that wide angles are (in general) more for enclosed spaces - or places where you simply cannot zoom with your feet enough to encompass the entirety of what you want to capture.

Either way, there have been plenty of times where I've been in shooting situations and could have used a wider angle than the 28mm I've got now. The 12-24 is indeed a great looking choice, except a bit too pricey for me just now. By the time I'm done wrenching my gut over spending the money, maybe I'll have saved up enough for it.

So, continuing on the topic - Tamron's got a 10-24, (my price range is around $500) but when I had the 18-55 I barely ever thought "I wish I had more"

Hmmm... I've got some good things to think about though, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice, it's been very helpful pointing me to different ideas to check out.

04-27-2010, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
It does work more like you describe later, when you drop the lecture, that wide angles are (in general) more for enclosed spaces - or places where you simply cannot zoom with your feet enough to encompass the entirety of what you want to capture.
What do you mean, drop the lecture? The whole thing was the lecture! And pay attention in the back there!
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Charts rule!
YouTube - SID THE SCIENCE KID | "I Love Charts" | PBS KIDS

On a more serious note, you are seriously lacking in the wide department. I have the 16-50mm, which stays on my camera about 90% of the time. It's such a useful focal range, and I use the wide range a LOT, even for portraits.
My son LOVES Sid the Science Kid!
yes I've always thought for a light walkaround lens when you don't want to carry the whole kit with you, the 16-50 or something similar would be awesome.
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
He's a chart guy (like me ;~)
You have no idea! LOL

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I'd sell the 28-70's and the 50-200, then get the 12-24mm or 17-50mm (if i needed f2.8)
not bad advice...

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
khardur,

In your chart, you have an M55mm f1.8 listed and it should be k 55mm f1.8.

Edit: Since you are leaning towards being a prime guy, I think a good place to start would be with the DA 15mm ltd or even the DA 21mm ltd since you currently have the DA 40mm and the K 55mm f1.8. (Of course another possibility would be a DA 70mm/FA 77mm later on).
Oooops - sorry about the misnaming.
Both are lenses that I've been looking at - the 15mm and the 70mm limiteds.
04-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...If you want wide angle, the best and most versatile is the DA12-24mm. The only reason to get the DA15mm is size. It is as good as but no better than the zoom and you miss out on 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24mm.

EDIT: To be clear... I realise this same argument could be made for any zoom; it's better than a prime since it covers more focal lengths. But only on the wide end does each mm make a really different shot. The difference between, say, 50mm and 55mm is not as pronounced. Besides this, one can always step closer in portraiture and other applications, but one cannot always step back to get a wider image of, say, an entire room.
This argument is why I would redo the chart with scales that emphasize small changes in focal length at the wide end, minimizing them on the long end.

04-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
This argument is why I would redo the chart with scales that emphasize small changes in focal length at the wide end, minimizing them on the long end.
In other words, redo the chart using field of view.
04-27-2010, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #21

Photos: Albums
Get the Tamron and sell the short-mid zooms.

I bought the 17-50 after putting together a 3 lens kit of reasonably priced but quality primes. The primes gave me great images, but my shooting style required constant lens changing and I just got tired of it. Since I've gotten the Tamron, it's been on my camera almost constantly. It is fast, sharp and useful for almost every type of photography that I do. The only thing that I personally find lacking is field curvature at short focal lengths and large apertures, but it's not so bad that I have stopped using it at short focal lengths and large apertures.

If you need something wider than 17mm, the Zenitar 16/2.8 is more like a 14/2.8 when you correct the fisheye, is reasonably priced, compact, and surprisingly sharp. The drawbacks are the MF/manual exposure, a slight warm tint, and the huge, flare-prone front element.

Good luck!
Anthony
04-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

In other words, redo the chart using field of view.
Huh, Now you've got me interested in seeing an FL chart and an FOV chart side-by-side.
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Huh, Now you've got me interested in seeing an FL chart and an FOV chart side-by-side.
Maybe this will do for now: plots of focal length vs. field of view.

04-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
Get the Tamron and sell the short-mid zooms.

I bought the 17-50 after putting together a 3 lens kit of reasonably priced but quality primes. The primes gave me great images, but my shooting style required constant lens changing and I just got tired of it. Since I've gotten the Tamron, it's been on my camera almost constantly. It is fast, sharp and useful for almost every type of photography that I do. The only thing that I personally find lacking is field curvature at short focal lengths and large apertures, but it's not so bad that I have stopped using it at short focal lengths and large apertures.

If you need something wider than 17mm, the Zenitar 16/2.8 is more like a 14/2.8 when you correct the fisheye, is reasonably priced, compact, and surprisingly sharp. The drawbacks are the MF/manual exposure, a slight warm tint, and the huge, flare-prone front element.

Good luck!
Anthony
A good piece of advice there, and I'm sure as most of the time when I'm shooting that wide I'm going for depth of field, I wouldn't be shooting 17mm at f/2.8 anyway...
We'll see by next week's paycheck if I've done enough overtime to get something.
04-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you mean, drop the lecture? The whole thing was the lecture! And pay attention in the back there!
what, huh? *wipes drool off chin*

Sorry, I dozed off.
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe this will do for now: plots of focal length vs. field of view.
no, i think people want a chart like this.

I posted the blank sheet on the forum some time ago

04-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I also charted my lenses a while back (out of date now ) but actually, I really awas looking for a chart like Robin posted portraying the relationship between FL and FOV.
04-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually, I think what people want is a chart with the axis scaled by FOV not focal. What I provided is the translation from what was at the top of the thread and what is required.