Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

lenses for Miami

Hello,

I'm planning to go to Miami in June. Right now I only have two lenses the pentax 18-250 and a 50mm 1.4. I was wondering what lenses would you recommend.

For the everglades scenery and the beach, I was thinking of the takumar 28mm, it seems to have really good quality, then I saw the 21mm limited and was really impresed by it. Is there much difference between both to really pay the difference. Also I see some people recommending the sigma 18-200

I also have an extension tube for my 50mm to take some macro shots. I was also planning to buy the m 200mm f4 and buy a 1.4x teleconverter for it. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

04-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsauna Quote
Hello,

I'm planning to go to Miami in June. Right now I only have two lenses the pentax 18-250 and a 50mm 1.4. I was wondering what lenses would you recommend.

For the everglades scenery and the beach, I was thinking of the takumar 28mm, it seems to have really good quality, then I saw the 21mm limited and was really impresed by it. Is there much difference between both to really pay the difference. Also I see some people recommending the sigma 18-200

I also have an extension tube for my 50mm to take some macro shots. I was also planning to buy the m 200mm f4 and buy a 1.4x teleconverter for it. Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
DA 21mm F3.2
04-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have the basic range covered, so why do you think you need another lens?
04-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
@ felixkh
I will need close to $2000 to buy those lenses. My price range is really really low right now

@ sterretje
Although I like the quality of my 18-250 lens. I've heard that the 28mm takumar prime lens is much better at 28mm, and i know for a fact that the 21mm limited is much sharper.

Also, I think i need a long range lens to take pictures of alligators, etc. with my 18-250 the aperture is 6.3 at 250mm.

Do you think it's enough with what I have?

04-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Moved to SLR lens discussion.
04-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with sterretje above, you already have two good lenses and perfect for overall travel to just about any place, what are you looking for that those two don't provide?
Consider this...The 18-250 already covers the range of the Sigma someone recommended to you. Also, June in Miami will likely have great lightning conditions, so there inst much worry about the 18-250 being to slow and in darker conditions, the 50/1.4 is a stellar performer. The Takumar 28 is a fine lens by the way. I have the Super-Tak 28/3.5 and it's a very nice lens when I want a certain feel. If I didn't also have a couple of lenses that covered the wide angles, I'd consider the DA21 or FA20 too...

Jason
04-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

I think what you have is going to be fine, but two things:

1) You want a polarizer for the heavy sun days.

2) You want an umbrella, because you're getting into our rainy season.

Where do you plan on going in the Everglades? Do you have your itinerary laid out yet at all?
04-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Original Poster
@Jasvox
Thanks a lot. I'm pretty new with photography and I didn't know the lens i have are so good. I'll take a look at the super takumar, since they are so cheap.

@Ira
I do have a polarizer filter, thanks for the recommendation though. I didn't it was going to be so rainy, maybe I should've planned another dates. I really hope it doesn't rain while I'm there.

I have no clue about where to go in the Everglades. I'm going to South Beach for 4 days, and I wanted to go to Everglades for one. Maybe a monday, but i haven't done any research yet, any recommendations?

04-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
Also do you think the lenses that I have good enough for the architecture there?
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

@Jasvox
Thanks a lot. I'm pretty new with photography and I didn't know the lens i have are so good. I'll take a look at the super takumar, since they are so cheap.

@Ira
I do have a polarizer filter, thanks for the recommendation though. I didn't it was going to be so rainy, maybe I should've planned another dates. I really hope it doesn't rain while I'm there.

I have no clue about where to go in the Everglades. I'm going to South Beach for 4 days, and I wanted to go to Everglades for one. Maybe a monday, but i haven't done any research yet, any recommendations?
Rainy season really starts July, so hopefully you'll be lucky, but once you get into that territory, you just don't know.

If you want a good whiff of the Glades, and hopefully have a car, take Tamiani Trail (or Alligator Alley) over to Everglades City/Chokoloskee:

Everglades, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a far drive at all from Miami, about an hour and a half, and it's really, really cool.

First, the drive there cuts through Big Cypress Preserve, which offers its own photo ops. Once there, you're at the bay of the Ten Thousand Islands, with hundreds of Mangrove Islands--trees creating islands out of the water:

Ten Thousand Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can take glass-bottom boats from there, or rent a canoe. The birds and other wildlife shots are outstanding. (It's mostly salt-water, so you're safe from gators, but not safe from crocs! You'll be fine.)

There's also a cool, TINY connecting island to Everglades City named Chokoloskee, and be sure to check out historic Ted Smallwood's Store. See text about THAT in the this link:

Chokoloskee, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's a link to a photo of the store:

http://images.travelpod.com/users/cleanlivin/2.1248615896.everglades-city-ol...-on-stilts.jpg

What makes this such a great day trip is that first, it's all contained within a few mile radius. In other words, once you're there, it's a cinch to cover all of the mainland. No wasted time thinking, "Do we take that road, or that road?" You can basically only TAKE one main road. (Well, there's another that goes along the Barron's River, but you'll figure that out.)

Next, it really is a taste of old Florida, where the stone crab and other fishermen go out. And there are a few good restaurants as well. Plus, the waterviews are fantastic--just do a Google image search.
Good luck!

Last edited by Ira; 04-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.
04-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Also do you think the lenses that I have good enough for the architecture there?
South Beach is pretty funky, and 18 should be fine:

You just walk across the street to the ocean side to get your shot.

And bring money--lots of it.
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Make sure you stop here for one or two. They're reasonable. (Or at least used to be.)

Miami Hotels - South Beach Hotels | Delano Hotel in Miami Follow @DelanoSoBe
04-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

FRIED OYSTERS TO DIE FOR:

The Oysterhouse Restaurant of Everglades, Florida
04-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Ira, you have been very helpful! I'll sure have more questions once the day is closer.

Daniel
04-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

And if you're sunning or lunching on South Beach and see some people float up on a raft, don't make a big deal about it.

Happens all the time.