Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks marc for the weblink. Very informative site. I will bookmark that.

Is the 30cm focusing distance calculated from the front of the lens to the object or from the camera body to the object?

Mibane, thanks for the heads up! I did not know that there is a WA usergroup! Will join you guys one of these days.

04-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Raider, i just did a little test for you. I was able to centre focus roughly 6-7 inches away from the front of the lens, this could be a little out but definately closer than a foot away.
04-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote

Is the 30cm focusing distance calculated from the front of the lens to the object or from the camera body to the object?
MFD's always calculate from lens to object.

what are you trying to shoot at such close range? you're not trying to shoot macros do you? or stick that lens into someone's face?

lens MFD is more than enough to get a shot up close with a wide perspective. it's about a standard ruler distance.
04-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are not sure about this lens just find member jimbo Check his PPG.
I believe most of those shots were taken by his 12-24. He's producing some of the best shots in landcape pohotgraphy with that lens, I've ever seen!

04-29-2010, 04:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Raider, i just did a little test for you. I was able to centre focus roughly 6-7 inches away from the front of the lens, this could be a little out but definately closer than a foot away.
Thanks mibane. This info is great. so the focusing is quite close...i am impressed!

QuoteQuote:
what are you trying to shoot at such close range? you're not trying to shoot macros do you? or stick that lens into someone's face?
Definitely not sticking the lens into someone's face But I have tried on many occasions to shoot closeup "macros" using my DA14 and i must say it is a neat feature to have. I am glad the DA12-24 also allows close focusing (albeit not as close as the DA14).
04-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
MFD's always calculate from lens to object.
I don't think so. In my experience, MFD is calculated from the sensor/film, while "working distance" is calculated from the front element of the lens.

The 12-24 focuses to a relatively short distance (I have yet to encounter a situation where I wished it would focus closer), but the DA14 and DA10-17 both focus even closer.
04-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #22

Pentax 12-24mm-what do I think?

I love it. I am just now getting into using Pentax lenses, and I believe the color rendition and sharpness of the lens is pretty amazing.

I must concur with the previous comment, that the lens hood can be a bit problematic. But other than that, I have found nothing to complain about.

Well built, sharp, great colors.
04-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

My favourite all time lens from Pentax.

04-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
RAW post processing is the best way in removing unwanted CAs. and yes, that hood is really annoying.
Pentaxor, interesting statement: What makes PP better in removing CA than the available in-body correction? Does the in-body alters the IQ negatively in any other way? I haven't really tried to make comparison but I really like the fact that, unless I really messed-up the exposure, most of the time, the in-body correction prevents me from having to do any serious PP at all. Big time saving!

xGene
04-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Pentaxor, interesting statement: What makes PP better in removing CA than the available in-body correction? Does the in-body alters the IQ negatively in any other way? I haven't really tried to make comparison but I really like the fact that, unless I really messed-up the exposure, most of the time, the in-body correction prevents me from having to do any serious PP at all. Big time saving!

xGene
the in-body correction helps to a certain degree but it doesn't eliminate CA completely especially if the images were shot under extreme conditions. there are situations that it is enough to correct CA but since I shoot most of the time during strong daylight, it could be a problem.

what I noticed is that the kitlens is more resistant to CA and doesn't display much of it under the same exposed normal conditions as that of the DA12-24, even if shot wide open at f3.5. although mind you that the minimum focal length is shot at 18mm, were the 12-24 have some considerable improvement with CA. my shots at 24mm were even better but lost quite a bit of contrast, which lead me to believe that adjusting the contrast to a lesser degree would decrease the intensity of CA which from what I saw somehow did the trick. I just adjust to increase the contrast during PP instead.

as to why I prefer the DA12-24 over my kitlens. the DA12-24 is just way better that my kitlens, and I'm not just talking about distortion and sharpness here but overall IQ rendering. my kitlens doesn't render the details that good at infinity.