Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 03:07 AM   #1

Super Takumar - info about coating (elements and layer)

where i can find exact info about coating of Super takumar?
how many elements in each lens has the coating? only the last element?
how many layers has a coating?

[i don't find info about the later seven-layer lens coating process "Super-Multi Coating"]

i hope you can help me :-)

04-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #2

Original Poster
no people has this info?

:-(
04-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There is literature out there, but as I understand it pretty much all the elements in a lens are multi-coated. Not the last or the first..all of them. And Pentax claim to cram about 8 layers* onto each lens of course their newer anti-ghosting SP -super protect and AERO bright coatings are added to the mix. I don't know how many coatings are on the modern lenses, but I can tell you they certainly do the job.

*to the best of my knowlege
04-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The information I have seen onliine suggests Asahi experimented quite a bit with coating one or more elements, that some Super-Takumars even have full super-multi-coating.

More information about which specific Super-Takumar lens(es) is(/are) being discussed will lead to more definitive information...

for S-M-C info see: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/SMC.html

Last edited by rhodopsin; 04-28-2010 at 08:31 AM.
04-28-2010, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
http://www.aohc.it/index.htm

AOHC has a lot of good screw mount information

And this article therein is a nice treatment of the state of the art when SMC was introduced

Flare control

Here is another good collection of Takumar info

http://whitemetal.com/pentax/index_pentax_lenses.htm
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks for your comments, but i didn't find exact info :-(

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar has 7 layers of coating for each elements.
thi is ok? i think yes.

but Super Takumar ???
about Super Takumar where i can find info?
04-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah, found the significant link I was remembering: Optical Coatings
04-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Ah, found the significant link I was remembering: Optical Coatings

thanks for link ...but there is not info about Super takumar!

04-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you're asking for too much , though if you have the $470+ you can buy this book which may contain some of the answers:
Sherfy's Page
Either that, or find someone who has a copy and see if they will do research for you...

The answer about Super Tak coating is not simple. As best I've been able to figure out, the coatings were improved over time, without any marketing push until SMC - and then SMC was just as much about the aperture sensor mechanism (for the F and ES) as about the coatings.

Also, the usual talk about 'single coating' is probably incorrect, I believe Super Takumars always had multiple coatings at least in the front and back elements. The number of layers, and which elements had what I haven't seen documented anywhere (I don't own that book!)... the lore is that the Supers as time went on started to get SMC coatings, perhaps first some elements, then more... and that the last Supers were in fact full SMC coating wise.

For what purpose are you seeking this information, if I may ask?
04-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

"Super-Takumars, as a rule of thumb, are single-coated lenses, not multi-coated. There are few exceptions (late Super-Takumars build around 1971)."

ref: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses
04-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I think you're asking for too much , though if you have the $470+ you can buy this book which may contain some of the answers:
Sherfy's Page
Either that, or find someone who has a copy and see if they will do research for you...

The answer about Super Tak coating is not simple. As best I've been able to figure out, the coatings were improved over time, without any marketing push until SMC - and then SMC was just as much about the aperture sensor mechanism (for the F and ES) as about the coatings.

Also, the usual talk about 'single coating' is probably incorrect, I believe Super Takumars always had multiple coatings at least in the front and back elements. The number of layers, and which elements had what I haven't seen documented anywhere (I don't own that book!)... the lore is that the Supers as time went on started to get SMC coatings, perhaps first some elements, then more... and that the last Supers were in fact full SMC coating wise.

For what purpose are you seeking this information, if I may ask?
Nesster, thanks for your opinions.
i'm finding this info because i'm curious.

your chronology can be exact:

1 - at first "Super Takumar" maybe had only single-coating

2 - then, step by step, Super Takumar had multi-coating (at first 3 layers and then 7 layers) on some elements

3 - finally "Super Takumar" had multi-coating (7 layers) on all elements, similar to "SMC Takumar"

but it is difficoult to know each transitions from a step to next step.

---

if there is people with more info, please tell me :-)
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
"Super-Takumars, as a rule of thumb, are single-coated lenses, not multi-coated. There are few exceptions (late Super-Takumars build around 1971)."

ref: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses
question:

but itr was a single-coating lens, coating was on all elements or on some elements?
04-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, you might try asking Pentax directly, although since the sale to Hoya, well, good luck. I suspect the information you seek was not published.

Another place to ask would be at Manual Focus Lenses :: Index There are several Asahi Takumar 'experts' there, some who own the definitive book by Gerjan Van Oosten, "The Ultimate Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide" (info: Sherfy's Page )