Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tokina 400mm/5.6

Hello all!

I've been thinking about getting a longer tele lens. (Older, manual, since the newer ones are too pricy)

So I found a Tokina 400/5.6 on an Internet auction.
(I have no idea when it's made)

Does anyone knows how it performs? And maybe how much it could be worth?

(By judging of the looks of the lens, it is not the one which is reviewed here on PF.)

Here's a pic of the lens:

04-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If its the RMC version, I would guess from 1981-85. That inspection sticker means it was made on or before 1989 for sure.

Edit: This would be it from the 3rd party data base.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=485&cat=77

Edit: Edit: This version works like an M lens because it doesn't have the A contacts.
04-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this newer version:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Tokina 400mm f/5.6 SD

That is supposed to be a little better than the RMC version, and worse than the AF version. It does a great job for me.

Your lens photo has a couple of features that worry me. The focus ring turns in the opposite direction of my lens, and it has two rows of aperture numbers. This isn't conclusive evidence of a non-Pentax mount but when I see it, I make certain that there's a Pentax mount. Also my lens has a detachable tripod mount. I don't know if this lens had a similar detachable mount or not, but they are frequently missing and hard to find separately.

Value, I don't know exactly. What I paid isn't that relevant in today's market. Maybe $200 in the US, $150 if it's supposed to have a tripod mount and doesn't.
04-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sebbe_J Quote
Hello all!

I've been thinking about getting a longer tele lens. (Older, manual, since the newer ones are too pricy)

So I found a Tokina 400/5.6 on an Internet auction.
(I have no idea when it's made)

Does anyone knows how it performs? And maybe how much it could be worth?

(By judging of the looks of the lens, it is not the one which is reviewed here on PF.)

At that price, why not? Current highest bid is 449 SEK, which is $65 USD! I guess the price will go up before the auction ends though.

Kind regards
.lars

04-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have this newer version:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - Tokina 400mm f/5.6 SD

That is supposed to be a little better than the RMC version, and worse than the AF version. It does a great job for me.

Your lens photo has a couple of features that worry me. The focus ring turns in the opposite direction of my lens, and it has two rows of aperture numbers. This isn't conclusive evidence of a non-Pentax mount but when I see it, I make certain that there's a Pentax mount. Also my lens has a detachable tripod mount. I don't know if this lens had a similar detachable mount or not, but they are frequently missing and hard to find separately.

Value, I don't know exactly. What I paid isn't that relevant in today's market. Maybe $200 in the US, $150 if it's supposed to have a tripod mount and doesn't.
The orange alignment spot seems to be in an odd place on the one in that picture as well.
04-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens looks to me to be a preset lens. One of the aperture rings has click stops. The other moves freely between wide open and the click stop position on the other ring. Whether or not it is a Pentax mount is up in the air. I find it rather odd that a preset lens was manufactured in Pentax K mount.
04-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I just pulled my RMC out and it looks exactly like that one including the orange spot. Also, it is an illusion on the double aperture ring. It is a single ring with 2 sets of numbers on it. This is the M type RMC Tokina lens. Its not a preset.

04-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I just pulled my RMC out and it looks exactly like that one including the orange spot. Also, it is an illusion on the double aperture ring. It is a single ring with 2 sets of numbers on it. This is the M type RMC Tokina lens. Its not a preset.
Thanks, Blue.
04-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I owned that lens (not that one specifically) for many years and it was a very good performer.
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had the SD version, which supposedly controls CA better than the RMC version--though I never shot with the RMC. I sold my SD 400 here at the forum for $200 in mint condition and there was a waiting list to buy it. It had great build quality and took nice pics. I have read the RMC version is similar, just missing the added ca control.

I have seen RMC 400 5.6 Tokinas going in the $100-150 range.
04-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also have the lens and I like it, too.
Small and good image quality.
The price varies a lot. I paid 45 Euro. But I have seen it sold for as low as 21 Euro and for as much as 161 Euro. Yes, the simple RMC version. The mean value is about 70 Euro.
The original price in the 80s was about 380 DM, according to my box.

Here are some examples with that lens on a K10D:
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - UadB, letzter Teil: Tokina 400

If you only need such a focal length once in a while, it is completely adequate.
04-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello again and many thanks for your answers!

It seems like it's worth a try getting hold on that one.

Maybe it will replace my Sigma APO 70-300

Thanks again!