Some weeks ago I bought this lens, a K-mount Vivitar 55mm f2.8 1:1 macro. This
lens was made in several versions under several different brand names: I know
of the M42 Panagor 55mm f3 - notwithstanding it's smaller max aperture it's the
really the same lens - and I've seen pictures of the Vivitar 55mm f2.8 with M42
mount too.
After trying the above mentioned Panagor on the K-7 for a few shots, I was
pleasantly surprised by the image quality as seen on the LCD screen of the
camera.

After shooting some weeks with the Vivitar, I think this is a very good macro lens!
I use it mostly without extension rings, because for the larger subjects I shoot
1:1 is enough, but for smaller subjects I combine the lens with the Kenko PZ-AF
Uniplus Tube 25 to get a larger magnification. Of course it is manual focus, and it
has no 'A' setting.

Here are some examples made with this lens. Most of them are shown elsewhere
on the forum before, I hope you don't mind I show them here again.....

Without extension ring:

With 25mm extension ring:

04-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
After shooting some weeks with the Vivitar, I think this is a very good macro lens!
Of course it is manual focus, and it has no 'A' setting.
In addition to your post Rense, it is perhaps good to mention that my M42 Panagor 55mm f3 macro has a 'A-M' switch.

Last edited by Iris; 04-28-2010 at 11:38 PM.
04-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
In addition to your post Rense, it is perhaps good to mention that my M42 Panagor 55mm f3 macro has a 'A' setting.
Do you mean A-M setting for automatic diaphragm rather than A contacts as in A series lenses? Or is it like one of the S-M-C/SMC type lenses?
04-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Rense, not only is these lens appear outstanding, so does your skill at insect macros.

This image is particularly interesting because it shows a possible symbiotic relationship.

. . .

With 25mm extension ring:

04-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Rense, not only is these lens appear outstanding, so does your skill at insect macros.

This image is particularly interesting because it shows a possible symbiotic relationship.
This is indeed a symbiotic relationship between aphids and ants.

QuoteQuote:
An intimate, symbiotic relationship exists between ants and aphids. They are often compared to cattle, with the ants acting as protectors and ranchers. What aphids have that ants want is something called honeydew, a sweet substance that is excreted by aphids through their anus and contains surplus sugar from the aphid's diet. Ants protect aphid eggs during the winter, and carry the newly hatched aphids to new host plants, where the aphids feed on the leaves and the ants get a supply of honeydew.

Read more: Aphids - Ants And Aphids Aphids - Ants And Aphids
04-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
"Indeed" is a little strong from one image alone since there are also many cases of ants predating on aphids etc. Based on the posture of the ants, symbiosis is probable. Aphids have an alarm pheromone that wold cause the others to scatter. That's why I mentioned it. I work with this stuff for a living.
04-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Indeed" is a little strong from one image alone since there are also many cases of ants predating on aphids etc. Based on the posture of the ants, symbiosis is probable. Aphids have an alarm pheromone that wold cause the others to scatter. That's why I mentioned it. I work with this stuff for a living.
Oh fine, you win this one. Pretty much baited me back there....

04-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some weeks ago I bought this lens, a K-mount Vivitar 55mm f2.8 1:1 macro.

I use it mostly without extension rings, because for the larger subjects I shoot
1:1 is enough, but for smaller subjects I combine the lens with the Kenko PZ-AF
Uniplus Tube 25 to get a larger magnification.
Rense: I have on the way a for a ridiculous price a K50/4 Macro that has cosmetic flaws on the aperture ring, but the glass is reported to be perfect. I also have the Auto Extension Tube K Set.

If I may ask, what was your lens - subject distance without the tube?
04-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent shots Rense.
I just picked up the K-mount Panagor version of this lens. I have only taken a few shots with it and so far it seem like an excellent lens. I hope my copy performs as well as yours.
Were all your shots under natural lighting or did you use a flash? Also, were you using a tripod with a focusing rail?

Swift1
04-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Excellent shots Rense.
I just picked up the K-mount Panagor version of this lens. I have only taken a few shots with it and so far it seem like an excellent lens. I hope my copy performs as well as yours.
Were all your shots under natural lighting or did you use a flash? Also, were you using a tripod with a focusing rail?

Swift1
You will be surprised about the flash when he tells you!
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iris Quote
In addition to your post Rense, it is perhaps good to mention that my M42 Panagor 55mm f3 macro has a 'A' setting.
Do you mean A-M setting for automatic diaphragm rather than A contacts as in A series lenses? Or is it like one of the S-M-C/SMC type lenses?
Iris' Panagor has a A-M lever, so it's an automatic version, which can be used in Av mode too, unlike mine, which can be used in M mode only (unless you want to use the lens full open, of course...)
04-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
This is a case of symbiosis indeed. The ants are tickling the aphids for their excrements, a thing that can be nicely seen through the lens when making photos !
04-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Rense: I have on the way a for a ridiculous price a K50/4 Macro that has cosmetic flaws on the aperture ring, but the glass is reported to be perfect. I also have the Auto Extension Tube K Set.

If I may ask, what was your lens - subject distance without the tube?
The distance from the front of the lens barrel to subject is about 2" or 5 cm. About, I did not measure it exactly...
I'd like to see some results from that lens, must be great!
04-28-2010, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent shots Rense.

Swift1
You will be surprised about the flash when he tells you!

For these hand held shots, I used the pop-up flash of my K20d with a DIY macro flash diffuser. The idea for this was shown her on PF by grzehoofr in this thread with amazing macro photos. On my blog, I have a photo tutorial on how to build this $2 tool yourself.
04-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent shots Rense.

Swift1
Just one question. Your Panagor, is it f2.8, or f3? I think f2.8, am I right?