Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Size of 16-50mm DA*

So I broke down and took a chance on the DA* 16-50. Seems to be pretty nice, I won't have time to really take it for a test drive until this weekend, but...

I am seriously shocked by the size. It dwarfs the kit lens and is nearly as tall as my DA 55-300. I was expecting it to be bigger than the kit lens, but not by this much. How the heck am I going to hide this from my wife. She doesn't pay that much attention, so a lens that is a little bigger would go completely undetected, but this thing? Holy Cow!

04-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just tell her its the DA 55-300
Seriously, I think you should not lie to your wife about anything
just tell her the truth you can still sell that in the marketplace if she wont approve or return it..
04-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
So I broke down and took a chance on the DA* 16-50. Seems to be pretty nice, I won't have time to really take it for a test drive until this weekend, but...

I am seriously shocked by the size. It dwarfs the kit lens and is nearly as tall as my DA 55-300. I was expecting it to be bigger than the kit lens, but not by this much. How the heck am I going to hide this from my wife. She doesn't pay that much attention, so a lens that is a little bigger would go completely undetected, but this thing? Holy Cow!
You set it on the table in front of her, say "Honey, Look what I got!!".. Then you put it on a camera, set to 50mm at about f4 and take her picture with it. Show her how much it flatters her natural beauty. Then take her to her favorite shop (whatever that is) and hold her purse while she picks something out for herself. Then with the lens, again, take a photo of her modeling whatever it is she got.

Seriously, I assume it's a joke most of the time, but I fail to see the need to hide these purchases from the spouse. Unless they are being made instead of paying the rent or mortgage (jeopardizing the roof over your head) or other necessary bills. In which case, she (or he) is going to know when the sheriff comes and sets your belongings on the curb or the electric company turns off the power.

04-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Hey, hon... that lens thing looks bigger than I remember it"

"That's what she said... I meant to say: yeah, the strangest thing! I got this email the other day saying something about 13ns 3n1argement and..."

04-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
oh don't be silly guys, I'm just trying to be a teeny bit funny

This is actually to her benefit because while I am upgrading my K20D kit lens, she also gets to use the DA 18-55 AL II on her K100D Super that currently sports a Tamron 28-80 that's probably the cheapest lens money can buy. I sold it to her for $750, and I threw in a free UV filter
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very clever, GregK8!

Provided that you keep the 16-50 in good condition and it never breaks down and the SDM never fails (lots of ANDs, there!) I suggest you look at the purchase as an investment. It seems all of Pentax's xx* lenses become highly sought after in later life and resale value on good copies hover around original purchase price, if not higher.

Of course, I don't know what the DA* market saturation is like. I'd imagine there are more of the current line up in circulation than the old FA* lenses when they were the tops, but what do I know? Either way that's a nice piece of glass to have now and in a future eBay auction!
04-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You set it on the table in front of her, say "Honey, Look what I got!!".. Then you put it on a camera, set to 50mm at about f4 and take her picture with it. Show her how much it flatters her natural beauty.

[...]
Except the 16-50mm is so sharp that you'll see every little wrinkle and pore