Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
@Kamaraten

The 14 isn't on the list because it's too clumsy. I might as well be using the 15/3.5. Since it's a full-frame lens, it could arguably deliver better IQ.

I don't do selling I think the collection is slowly approaching 200 lenses (although I've lost count at this point), and we definitely don't want that to shrink.

From what I'm hearing, these are all good lenses and each has its purpose. I haven't bought a lens since the 200 macro last summer, so perhaps I could push myself a little bit and get the 35macro as well as either the 15 or the 21. I'm a big fan of the kind of 3d effect that was mentioned of the 21 (similar to the FA 31's it seems), so maybe that'll push me over the line, even though I had earlier shown a preference for the 15.
FWIW, count me as a fan of both of these lenses. I also don't understand what some people don't like about these lenses. Both of them are as sharp as I have ever needed, and both have a 3d effect. The DA21 is even nice on film if you do a crop to 8x10 proportions. If you don't like clumsy, then the setup I use a lot with a K-x, DA40 and DA21 is just the ticket. It fits in places you'd never expect a DSLR to fit, and it is both agile and non-threatening to the subject.

04-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 21mm doesn't get much love but I like it. I got it because of my 20-40mm zoom was too big for me to include in my kit during air travel. These were taken between 6 and 7 pm (even though the time stamps says am).

vertical shot:

horizontal shot:

04-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here's how my rules work for that

If I don't use the lens -> Keep it
If I use the lens -> get a backup copy
If I have a duplicate -> sell it, unless it's a backup copy of a used lens.

I think I'm going to go with the DA 35 and DA 21 for now. The 15 will have to wait- maybe I can come up with an excuse to make it a birthday present or something

Thanks for all the replies- and I agree- the 35 seems quite the versatile type.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The 21mm doesn't get much love but I like it. I got it because of my 20-40mm zoom was too big for me to include in my kit during air travel. These were taken between 6 and 7 pm (even though the time stamps says am).
Nice examples. I've never taken a shot with the DA21 where I truly found the LENS lacking, and that form factor can't be beaten.

04-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I can't help it, but:

There it is The beast!

Looks like the 35mm will be joining it for my travels.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a pretty good-looking beast.

I definitely plan on starting an actual collection, instead of a "lineup" I know exactly how I will display the lenses, the type of stands, lighting, the layout of the room. It will simply have to wait until I can win the lottery, that's all.
04-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Adam - for what it's worth (yet another one person's opinion), I just bought the DA15 and the DA35 Macro. I wil lbe using both. I aim to use them for walkabout stuff, using my new Think Tank Rotation 360 bag. From the limited (pardon the pun) experience I have of these lenses so far, they are a fantastic complementary pair of primes.

And looking at Jay Sherman's stuff just reinforces that.

Of course, much of the impact of his stuff (and many other peoples') is the brain and eye behind the camera, but the good lens surely lifts it into a different level of excellence?

So my vote would be to go for the 15 and the 35....
04-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Adam - for what it's worth (yet another one person's opinion), I just bought the DA15 and the DA35 Macro. I wil lbe using both. I aim to use them for walkabout stuff, using my new Think Tank Rotation 360 bag. From the limited (pardon the pun) experience I have of these lenses so far, they are a fantastic complementary pair of primes.

And looking at Jay Sherman's stuff just reinforces that.

Of course, much of the impact of his stuff (and many other peoples') is the brain and eye behind the camera, but the good lens surely lifts it into a different level of excellence?

So my vote would be to go for the 15 and the 35....
A lens is simply a tool for a photographer to express his/her vision, just like a computer can be a tool for a graphic designer to make his imagination become reality. Thus, if we use good lenses, that's one less obstacle to overcome.

IMO at least 75% of the appeal of an image is composition. The 85mm allows me to focus in on things rather than documenting stuff. I think that similarly, the 35mm can fill that role as well- it's not too wide but not to tele, and it has a nice macro twist to it if you choose to go down that route.

I'll put in my order with Adorama sometime next month (can't believe it's already going to be May...)

Adam

05-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #24

Looks like you've made your decision already - I've always seen the 35mm as the ultimate compact prime, ~50mm after the crop factor, macro capability, fast @ 2.8 with a fine built

I like the 15mm over the 21mm simply because it's wider, typically when I use it I stop down anyway so f/4 doesn't bother me. 21mm would be a fine lens to use for street photographer IMO

Enjoy your new toys!