Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help me identify this lens ... pentax 35mm 2.8?

Sorry ... this is kind of a goofy question. I found a lens for sale that supposedly says "pentax wide auto 1:2.8 35mm with a 49mm filter size.

So I looked through the lens review db here trying to figure out what the lens is, but it does not seem to exist in the db. Here are the lenses I found in the lens db that matched focal length and aperture:

Pentax A Lenses: SMC Pentax-A 35mm F2.8
Pentax M Lenses: SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8
Pentax K Lenses: apparently 35mm 2.8 does not exist

The fact that the seller did not mention either "SMC" or "A" or "M" on the lens *and* the fact that he did specifically say "wide auto" is throwing me off.

Anyway ... do you guys have ideas for which lens this is?

Thanks
Sam

04-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that it's a Pentax mount, but not made by Pentax. The "wide auto" makes me think Vivitar, while a 49mm filter suggests someone else.
04-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My guess is that it's a Pentax mount, but not made by Pentax. The "wide auto" makes me think Vivitar, while a 49mm filter suggests someone else.
Probably is non-pentax. I specifically asked the seller if it was pentax brand, and he seemed to indicate "yes".

But he sounded like a young and dumb stoner kid. So, I'm not sure how much trust I place in his answers. And he sounded like I had woken him up a 9am this morning. There was a long gap of silence between every question I asked and the answer.

Not positive signs!
04-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Not necessarily. I have a Cosina made Vivitar 28 with a 49mm thread.

04-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I would bet on it being an "A" since it stands for Auto aperture. Of course, being sure before bidding requires more than my bet.
04-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Pentax-M 2.8/35mm has a 49 filter—but so has the Pentax-A. Just ask him to specify exactly what is written in the lens front, I'd say, or send you a picture. Don't gamble on flawed descriptions.
04-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I would bet on it being an "A" since it stands for Auto aperture. Of course, being sure before bidding requires more than my bet.
"Auto" in this case probably refers to automatic aperture diaphragm, not the "A" position on the aperture ring. This designation is common on non-Pentax brand lenses and serves to distinguish those lenses from those with manual or pre-set aperture diaphragms. If it says "Auto" on the lens face and is a bayonet mount lens, it is most certainly not Pentax brand.

Steve