Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K10D and Pentacon 135 Electric

Anyone using Pentacon 135 f2.8 Electric M42 version with K10D or any Pentax DLSR?

I just acquired the Electric version of the famous "boked monster" and realized that the lens has few contact points that would engage with the body, K10D in this case. I wonder if that could potentially damage my body by causing short circuit those contacts on the body?

Can anyone could shed some lights here?

Last edited by ducdao; 04-29-2010 at 08:10 PM.
05-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No one has experience with the Pentacon 135mm Electric?
05-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Last try before I give up! Someone here can help? I'm sure someone out there must have used an Pentacon Electric version on their Pentax DSLR. Please share your experience.
05-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow I'm surprised no answers! That is an awesome lens.

Can lens contacts be covered with tape before mounting?

Also suggest the searches & asking over at Manual Focus Lenses :: Index and Manual Focus Forum

05-05-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try posting a photo of the mount.

FYI

the pentax KAF2 mount has 7 contacts evenly spaced starting from the lens locking pin on the base of the mount, plus 2 additional ones that are inside the mount for the power to the HSM or power zoom motor

Looking at the lens itself, and placing the locking pin hole at 3:00 as you move clockwise you will see a set of contacts at roughly 2.5mm spacing (0.1 inch for the metric impared) these start about 8 mm away from the locking pin slot.

within the first 6 contacts, only one is absolutely necessary, the 3rd. This is the auto/manual contact, the first 2 and the 4th to 6th can either be there or not, or there can be insulators there. these code the aperture maximum and minimum values to the camera.

The 7th is only used for AF functions and to carry lens data to the camera and may not be there on a MF lens.

The Power contacts are located at about 6:00 and will not be present on this lens.

very few manual focus lenses carry all the contact pins because they are not needed. This is especially true for primes. Variable aperture lenses will have a few more of the contacts, necessary to be able to change the aperture as you zoom.
05-05-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a lens with a M42 screw mount, which in some implentations actually had features similar to the Pentax KA mount, in which the lens was able to transmit aperture data through the body,providing metering wide-open. Other solutions includes stopping down the lens manually, and even set aperture, let the camera meter, and then fire the shot. It's a clever idea, although it seems few bodies supported this "electric" system.

Anyway, my guess would be that it won't hurt the camera at all. The only problem could be if one of the pins get stuck in the AF screw, but that is unlikely.

It probably looks like this:

Last edited by KjetilH; 05-05-2010 at 07:24 AM.
05-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Somehow I get the feeling that the OP already owns the lens, knows that it's an M42 mount, and where the contacts are. He seems to be asking what to do with them. Put some tape over them, screw the lens on, and show us some photos. I've been curious about this lens too (not that I need another 135mm)..

05-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

in all honesty, he won;t hurt the camera or the lens if he just screws it on,

The only odd operation will take place if he magically has a pin line up with the AE pin on the K mount, and one with the focus information pin, and both these short to the lens mount.

Otherwise the camera will interpret it as no differently than any other M42 mount

05-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

At least turn off the camera before mountiing the lens. Check the lens is oriented properly on the camera mount before use. Power camera down before dis-mount.
05-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
At least turn off the camera before mountiing the lens. Check the lens is oriented properly on the camera mount before use. Power camera down before dis-mount.
since the lens is passive, and the pentax mount is also capable of withstanding shorts on all it's pin inputs, and it can withstand switching lenses wiothout incident when powered, while it may be good practice it is probably not necessary.

However, since you will want to set focal length any way,, turning it off and then on will bring you back to that menu
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
since the lens is passive, and the pentax mount is also capable of withstanding shorts on all it's pin inputs, and it can withstand switching lenses wiothout incident when powered, while it may be good practice it is probably not necessary.

However, since you will want to set focal length any way,, turning it off and then on will bring you back to that menu

Thanks, I missed the part about power pin being inside camera
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow thanks guys for all the comments and suggestions!

Actually I took a chance last night and mounted it on my K10D. I was kind of nervous but it turned out to be fine. I took about 10 pictures with it then decided to unmount the lens then try the kit lens on it. Things seem to be fine so far.

One weird thing though is in one of my 10 pictures taken with the Pentacon, the exif indicates on of them was taken with either K or M lens that tells me that at one instance the camera was "talking" to the contact pins of the lens. I'm still scratching my head as to why that information only show on one picture, the first one of he series.

I guess I'll tape the contact pins on my lens from now on to be safe I'll post some pictures later of the lens and picture taken from the lens as well.
05-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This picture was taken with the Pentacon 135 Electric and my K10D recognized it as K or M lens

05-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
This picture was taken with the Pentacon 135 Electric and my K10D recognized it as K or M lens

it does look like how the way the Pentacon preset renders the image wide open to some extent. I'm just wondering if you used a hood when you took this photo?
05-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it does look like how the way the Pentacon preset renders the image wide open to some extent. I'm just wondering if you used a hood when you took this photo?
I did use the built-in hood.