Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to tell which version Sigma 50-500mm Lens I have....

I recently picked up a copy of a Sigma 50-500mm Lens. It did not come with the box or paperwork. Reviewing the Sigma website it appears there are different versions of this lens.

Does anyone know how to tell them apart?

The receipt had a description AF 50-500mm APO EX DG

Where these all Rear Focus until the new HSM model came out?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....

04-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Bigma I had was (rear focus). I think the HSM version is a fairly recent development. For a short while, during the transition, the Bigma couldn't be found anywhere.

04-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sigma 50-500

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The Bigma I had was (rear focus). I think the HSM version is a fairly recent development. For a short while, during the transition, the Bigma couldn't be found anywhere.

So do you think that anything prior to the HSM release were all rear focus? I know that Sigma has released multiple versions of the same lens with other models.
05-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
So do you think that anything prior to the HSM release were all rear focus? I know that Sigma has released multiple versions of the same lens with other models.
I don't know for certain. I'm thinking that by Rear Focus you mean camera driven screw drive focus and not some sort of in lens focus motor. That's how the one I had worked.

05-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

I think there have been 3 versions of this lens now. The first two are optically identical but have different coatings, the newer one being marked DG. These are both EX lenses and are screw driven in Pentax mount, although in other mounts the second version is HSM.

The new bigma that's just starting to filter into shops looks to be a fairly substantial redesign, with different numbers of elements, different aperture range, a much shorter minimum focus distance and a bigger front element (95mm filter ring vs 86mm).

It sounds like you have the 2nd version.

Last edited by Spyder; 05-01-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Typo
05-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
50-500mm

QuoteOriginally posted by Spyder Quote
I think there have been 3 versions of this lens now. The first two are optically identical but have different coatings, the newer one being marked DG. These are both EX lenses and are screw driven in Pentax mount, although in other mounts the second version is HSM.

The new bigma that's just starting to filter into shops looks to be a fairly substantial redesign, with different numbers of elements, different aperture range, a much shorter minimum focus distance and a bigger front element (95mm filter ring vs 86mm).

It sounds like you have the 2nd version.

Thanks Spyder,

I think your right, mine does have the DG badge on it.