Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
All those funky lenses are prototypes, which are outside the scope of the database. Would make an interesting addition to the article section, however.

We mention under the respective Takumar-A and Pentax-A entries that those lenses were re-branded as CPC Phase 2, and so on.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #17

The pancake 40 in chrome was just a prototype? What a shame.

For how many do you name the CPC versions? The search found just one, the 28/2.8 Takumar-A

How about the 24/2.8, just to mention the shortest one.

Is there any matching device for the Cosmicar-A 28-80/4 at all?

The Pentax Cosmicar 28-80/3.5-4.5 should match the Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5, but is not mentionned there. The Pentax CPC Phase 2 28-80/3.5-4.5 could be a very different device.

I'm sure you know Pentax Zoom Lenses without SMC Coating and had your reasons not to order it that way. But claiming a complete list is a very ambitious aim.

BTW: Is there any way to sort found hits? Search e.g. by Takumar - it's very difficult to get a good idea of those models since it's not sorted by focal length and does not mention the mount as a sort option either.

And, on the other hand, do you mention about models which are sold as pentax, but are rebranded 3rd party?
10-18-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traut Quote
The Pentax Cosmicar 28-80/3.5-4.5 should match the Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5, but is not mentionned there. The Pentax CPC Phase 2 28-80/3.5-4.5 could be a very different device.
It should be mentioned, as each CPC/other stupidly-named lens has a corresponding SMC or A/F version. Please PM Ole with any necessary corrections/additions, and thanks in advance for your contributions!

QuoteOriginally posted by traut Quote
BTW: Is there any way to sort found hits? Search e.g. by Takumar - it's very difficult to get a good idea of those models since it's not sorted by focal length and does not mention the mount as a sort option either.
All lenses are sorted by focal length. You can always narrow your search query if you want by adding "Takumar" - and if you want to sort by category instead of by focal length, add &what=cat to the the URL. You can also choose to search only the takumars. Most people don't realize this, but you don't have to search from the advanced search page every time. It's enough to type in what you're looking for in the box in the upper-right corner of the page.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Adam,

I have both version of Sigma 120-400, non-OS and OS. Can you create a link to OS version of this lens in the database?

Another thing, I m new in this forum, if you are interested in the images taken by the lens being reviewed, I can give you my pics, but for now my disk quota for this forum is full, or I can compress even more and keep the size to minimum, not a joy to view, but still ok.

If you have a guideline of preferred way to conduct the review, I can also try to follow the guidelines.

For now, I just try to do a review my way - the way I m using the lens - mostly for portraits. I also try to map each lens I own the DOF per aperture vs distance to subject (for portrait use).
If you are interested... or if you have any comment about conducting the lens reviews.

Best regards.

02-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You can add it by selecting add new lens from the upper-right corner of the page.

If you're writing an in-depth review (or are interested in doing one), then we can provide you with disk space. Otherwise, just throw up your photos on imageshack or to and album and link to them.

Adam

07-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't know if this is the right place, but in the lens review takumar section, there is a special place for the two versions of the 1:1.4/50mm.
But all 1:1.8/55mm versions are thrown in one topic, and not all are optical identical, the description is wrong, see the ultimate screw mount guide.
Same for the 1:2.0/55mm spinoff of the 1:1.8 versions.
07-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Most lenses in the Takumar DB are thrown together into a single entry, but in that entry, it should say that there are different versions. If it does not, please post about the error in the site help forum, and it will be fixed Thanks!

Adam

09-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #23

Thanks for the database I am a new member

Best regards

Eugenio
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #24
Veteran Member

What's the difference between current and legacy lenses?

I had assumed that legacy meant film era but I notice this lens Tamron AF 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database is an APS-C lens but is in Legacy, not Current. Does legacy mean no longer in production?

Last edited by p38arover; 02-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.
02-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you would like to post reviews of your Pentax lenses, read others' opinions, or check out photos and technical specs, please visit one of our Pentax Lens Review Databases:

Professional Reviews | Pentax reviews | PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lens Reviews: SMC Pentax DA, FA, F, A, M, K, Takumar, 645, 6x7 Lenses

Pentax Third-Party Lens Database & Reviews: Sigma, Tamron, and More

Lenses explained: what do all the different names mean? Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
I got my mv1 camera and as previously mentioned it was broke but the lenses I got were in mint condition so, until I can get hold of another film camera I got the pentax k mount adapter to micro 4/3rds for my Panasonic GH2. I put it on today and started with the 135mm prime lens. I put it into manual focus and manual settings and put the custom camera setting to w/o lens. I could adjust only the EV on the camera and the ISO and WB. (In RAW). When I focused with the lens it would not focus on something close up on the macro setting no matter what. I had to stand 3 feet away to get a picture which was awesome in a way but obviously not a macro shot per so more a close up shot of the whole lot. I have looked for further advice but cannot find an article etc on this. Do you have any ideas? Thank you for your patience.
12-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
THE KR AND P MOUNTS

The tutorial explaining the baffling alphabet soup of Pentax lens mounts (Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series) is excellent --- for Pentax brand lenses, that is. But there are various third party lens lens mounts that deserve a mention. In particular I'm thinking of the so called "K/R" mount lenses and Ricoh/Rikenon "P" mount lenses. There are several very nice lenses with these mounts, but they have a hazard: the "Ricoh Pin". This pin can allow the lens to seem stuck on your Pentax DSLR camera, because unfortunately it drops right into the hole where the AF screw drive is located -- and the lens can't be removed without some effort. The Ricoh pin should be disabled or removed before the lens is mounted on a DSLR.

But I have found that is not totally necessary if you observe how the Ricoh Pin works. It pushes out of the lens when the Aperture ring is in the A position. Actually, that is exactly what the Pentax A pin does too. These were different ways to do the same thing: tell the camera the Aperture is in the A position. Ricoh coincidentally located the pin where it would hang up on future autofocus cameras. Both pins retract when the aperture ring is moved off the A position. You can test this: put your finger on either pin and turn the A ring - you should feel the pin push out/in as you move into or out of the A aperture position.

So, if you happen to get one of these KR or P lenses stuck on your camera, don't panic, turn the aperture ring. I still think the Ricoh pin should be removed for safety's sake if you plan to use this on your Pentax DSLR.
Attached Images

Last edited by slowhands95128; 12-12-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Add photo of Ricoh pin
12-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #27
Inactive Account

thank you
10-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is there a list that separates SMC lenses from other Pentax lenses?
10-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Is there a list that separates SMC lenses from other Pentax lenses?
Generally - that list is M42 Super Takumar and earlier plus until the HD subset of the DA lenses and all the D FA lenses. . I don’t believe the Takumars are separated by coating - they’re grouped by FL Class, and often there is only one entry for each FL with the slight naming/coating differences combined.

The HD DA lenses have entries distinct from their SMC DA siblings within the DA category.

There is a small list of non-SMC lenses mostly from the 70’s.

EDITED TO CLARIFY: The HD lenses are not SMC.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-04-2017 at 03:59 AM.
10-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Generally - that list is M42 Super Takumar and earlier plus the HD subset of the DA lenses and all the D FA lenses. . I don’t believe the Takumars are separated by coating - they’re grouped by FL Class, and often there is only one entry for each FL with the slight naming/coating differences combined.
The HD DA lenses have entries distinct from their SMC DA siblings within the DA category.
There is a small list of non-SMC lenses mostly from the 70’s.
Thanks - so the HD lenses are also SMC lenses? I think all my Pentax lenses are DA, DFA, HD DA or HD DFA. So they would all be SMC.