Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks - so the HD lenses are also SMC lenses? I think all my Pentax lenses are DA, DFA, HD DA or HD DFA. So they would all be SMC.
Not quite. HD has replaced the venerable SMC process of lens coating. I'm pretty sure a lens can be one or the other, but not both.

10-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Not quite. HD has replaced the venerable SMC process of lens coating. I'm pretty sure a lens can be one or the other, but not both.
Hi Sandy - that makes sense to me. So all the non-HD lenses I have would be SMC but the HD ones are HD.
10-03-2017, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Sandy - that makes sense to me. So all the non-HD lenses I have would be SMC but the HD ones are HD.
Yes. Also, somewhere on every lens you should be able to find its full name, like SMC Pentax-FA 1:1.8 31mm AL Limited, for example.
10-04-2017, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks - so the HD lenses are also SMC lenses? I think all my Pentax lenses are DA, DFA, HD DA or HD DFA. So they would all be SMC.
Oops - my post was not clearly worded. HD is a new coating that superceded SMC.

Last edited by monochrome; 10-04-2017 at 04:03 AM.
01-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oops - my post was not clearly worded. HD is a new coating that superceded SMC.
" Lens Coating

The lens name prefix smc or HD indicates the type of coating. SMC stands for Super Multi Coating and was introduced back in the 1960'es. Naturally this coating has evolved and been improved over time. HD stands for High Definition and is a new coating introduced in 2012. The purpose of a lens coating is to reduce light loss as light rays travel through the lens elements and also to reduce stray light reflecting off the lens element surfaces. The net effect is less flare, less ghosting and better contrast.
Certain budget lenses from the film era lack SMC or HD coating and have no smc or HD prefix in their name. "

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

" HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes
Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe. . . . "

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax didn’t invent the 7-layer process. They bought it from the California lab (Optical Coatings Lab Inc) that did, and licensed parts of it to most lens makers aside from Leica. They constantly tinkered with and improved the formula. Ghosless (rumored to have been invented for traffic cameras) was first used on the FA43 and it was not used on every subsequent lens. It was too expensive. It isn’t just the chemical formulation - it is also the multi-million-dollar evaporator Equipment that lays down the coating on the glass in a semi-vacuum. The equipment and process are also patented and rights to any and all of it / them can be and were licensed to other lens makers.

HD was invented partly because the last minor SMC patents had expired. Pentax depended on SMC royalties; SMC patent expiry is the primary reason Pentax was vulnerable to Hoya and SPARX. Hoya refused to invest in the new HD evaporators. The first thing Ricoh did - almost immediately - was buy them and introduce HD on the re-released DA Limiteds.

There are other named coatings such as Super-Protect and Aero-Bright, but Pentax doesn’t do a very good job marketing their lens technology.

About Super Multi Coating

Asahi Optical Historical Club article from 1999 Spotmatic magazine

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2018 at 02:35 PM.