Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A comprehensive listing of Pentax lenses & lens reviews!

If you would like to post reviews of your Pentax lenses, read others' opinions, or check out photos and technical specs, please visit one of our Pentax Lens Review Databases:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

Professional Reviews | Pentax reviews | PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lens Reviews: SMC Pentax DA, FA, F, A, M, K, Takumar, 645, 6x7 Lenses

Pentax Third-Party Lens Database & Reviews: Sigma, Tamron, and More

Lenses explained: what do all the different names mean? Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2010, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Especially when your lens is not listed in the database, please contribute to the site and review it. This database is the best place to look for information on lenses, but it needs to keep growing. User reports are much more useful than most reviews!
05-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Is there a list of "missing" lens reviews we can list here, perhaps? That may be a more direct way to get any missing lenses.

Also, I noticed that the off-brand lens section is a bit scattered - relative to the tidy by focal length Pentax sections. Any plans to straighten that one out, or is it more or less the random 'bin' until you can create more review sections?
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why not send mails to the posters

I see a lot of lenses that simply don't get reviewed but yet there are even photos posted in the forums.

How about a campain where we simply e-mail people to post the reviews

The other issue is I think some people don;t want to write reviews because they are not sure what should be included.

Maybe what we need are some simple guidlines of what to include.

I personally include the following, along with any other data I have such as aperture blades, shape, aperture range etc.

-Focus throw (degrees min to infinity)
-aperture stops, 1/2 stops or full stops only, and if any are missing
-abnormal behavior , flair, sensor reflection etc,
-feel, smooth or irregular focus / zoom resistance, aperture smoothness. etc
-Build and feel
-image quality
- ease of focus
- metering behavior on the bodies I own.

05-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Is there a list of "missing" lens reviews we can list here, perhaps? That may be a more direct way to get any missing lenses.

Also, I noticed that the off-brand lens section is a bit scattered - relative to the tidy by focal length Pentax sections. Any plans to straighten that one out, or is it more or less the random 'bin' until you can create more review sections?
It's been cleaned up to the extent possible by us; however, since users can contribute lenses, it would be difficult to keep tidy a multi-category listing for each type of lens. There are, however, filtering controls at the top of the page that allow you to sort or search by focal length, etc.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I see a lot of lenses that simply don't get reviewed but yet there are even photos posted in the forums.

The other issue is I think some people don;t want to write reviews because they are not sure what should be included.

I personally include the following, along with any other data I have such as aperture blades, shape, aperture range etc.

-Build and feel
-image quality
- ease of focus
Not a bad idea. I will include this information in one of our next site tutorials; also, I plan on adding extra fields to the lens review database at some point.

Adam

05-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote

While this would be nice, it would probably be asking for too much and be quite time-consuming.

Adam

05-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #8

Just a quick idea: Wouldn't it be great to have external lens reviews linked directly next to the forum lens reviews for each lens? Could be placed below the header, next to the lens data. I'm thinking of reviews on sites like photozone and others.
05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Possibly, but google does a great job with those.

Adam

09-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

-Build and feel
-image quality
- ease of focus
I am guilty of posting specs and photos of lenses without reviewing them, simply because I received them as part of a lot with an ebay buy and did not keep them long enough to review them. If I get a lens that is not listed I will list as much information as I can about it, because that may help someone. I have used the database often just to see photos of a lens to try and identify what someone has listed on ebay without enough information to know simple things like "is it manual or auto focus?"

I really like your list of guidelines, but I think a few more are necessary:
• auto focus or manual focus
• is there an “A” setting,
• filter size
• metal of plastic mount (if the photo doesn’t show it)
• hood style if known
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I really like your list of guidelines, but I think a few more are necessary: • auto focus or manual focus • is there an “A” setting, • filter size • metal of plastic mount (if the photo doesn’t show it) • hood style if known
That's just technical info, and not review info- we've included it for all the Pentax lenses, but it would be great if you guys also added it for whatever third-party lenses you chose to upload.

Adam

10-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #12
Forum Member

Wouldn't it be great to also add the Lightroom lense profile data that are posted somewhere else on this forum? I would love to look up my lenses and download directly those files!
10-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Check the articles section.

Adam

10-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #14

Further Info

Thanks for the database.

I feel it does lack some very interesting informations, such as

- begin of production
- end of production / end of availabiltiy / end of appearance in official price lists

It does lack recommended price tags, which should be differed by year and country.

Even further, it could give typical prices for used items, derived from the market or buyers, as well as a virtual price recommendation from original prices, age and review ranking.
10-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #15

The todays newsletter claimed a complete list of lenses.

Is this possible at all?

How about e.g. the 2007 Pentax Takumar-DA 40/2.8 AL Limited in chrome?

Pentax K 8.4/2.8 Birds-Eye (or Fish-Eye) from 1982?

All the CPC Phase 2 and Cosmicar lenses (just one is mentionned)

Not to speak of some lists where I do not even know whether they actually were real:

Pentax K 20/1.4 (1976)
Pentax K 300/2 (1977)
Pentax M 32-39/2.8 Flexi (1978)