Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poogeek Quote
do you think its worth paying $500 for the DA 40mm ltd? or should i just buy the fa 50mm 1.4 for $470? both brandnew.
I don't know what it would cost you to import it (taxes, etc) but why pay that price new, when used is typically just as good, if you don't mind Pre-owned. It can even be had New for less than that.

eBay - *slr camera lens, *canon macro lens and *used nikon lens items on eBay.com. Find IT on eBay.

05-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
First off, there are times when using a wide open aperture, its about getting an acceptable exposure not just about stop action.
OK, but so? As I said, raising ISO half a stop gives you the same exposure. that is, if you can get an acceptable exposue at f/1.4, you can do so at f/1.7 too.

QuoteQuote:
Plus, you make lightly of a half a stop when each stop doubles the amount of light of the previous stop.
I'm not "making light" of it; I'm observing that most people could barely tell the differences between, say, ISO 1600 and ISO 2300. Like I said, maybe this difference is important to you, but I really dont' see any reaosn to assume it would be for the average person.

QuoteQuote:
Your arguments as to whether the f1.7 lens will out shoot the f1.7 lens at low ISO (what ever low is), the f1.7 or f1.4 IS NOT FACT but your opinion.
Not sure what you mean. I never said anything abut any lens outperforming any other lens at any ISO, at least not that I can recall. Although it *is* generally acknowledged than the 50/1.7 is sharper at f/1.7 than the 50/1.4 is at that same aperture. That is, indeed, a matter of opinion (although MTF numbers or resolution numbers are reasonably objective - but of course IQ is more than this).

QuoteQuote:
Why are you insisting on getting off on tangents?
I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sticking to the point here, which is discussing the different 50mm lenses to help the OP decide on one.

QuoteQuote:
There is a big difference in $190 and $370 dollars of the lenses in the OP.
Yes, but as others have already pointed out, the FA50 should be available used for much less than $370. The difference in price between these lenses is normally quite small.

QuoteQuote:
I'm guessing the OP would like more options but perhaps availability is more of an issue in his province.
Perhaps, but Ebay is virtually everywhere, and these lenses aren't rare enough to worry about the subset of people who won't ship worldwide. But sure, if for some reason these are the only two lenses the OP can possibly consider, then there is no point adding the A50/1.7 to the list. I just can't imagine why I'd want to assume that.
05-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I am sure you can get the FA for less than USD 370 used if you have a little patience.

On the other hand, the A is a very good lens and if you look for small DOF you would probably do that in quite good light so the focusing should not be a problem.

Bootom line, if you wand a do-it-all lens go for the AF 50mm, if you have other AF options with f2.8 you could go for the manual. Look for the DA 35mm f2, DA 40mm f2.8, F 50mm f1.7 - also excellent options.
05-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #49
Veteran Member

While both the A 50mm f/1.4 and FA 50mm f/1.4 are fine lenses, I do think that the price differential is worth it because you can do a lot more with an AF lens (shoot quicker with faster focus lock, shoot one-handed with eye-away from the viewfinder, shoot video one handed, etc.) than a lens that has to be focused manually. AF is definitely good if one's eyesight is less than perfect, like mine.

05-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, but so? As I said, raising ISO half a stop gives you the same exposure. that is, if you can get an acceptable exposue at f/1.4, you can do so at f/1.7 too.
The lens has nothing to do with the ability to raise the ISO whether its a Noctilux or an A f2.

I'm not "making light" of it; I'm observing that most people could barely tell the differences between, say, ISO 1600 and ISO 2300. Like I said, maybe this difference is important to you, but I really dont' see any reaosn to assume it would be for the average person.
I wasn't debating ISO, that was you and the OneMoreDave that brought that into this discussion.

Not sure what you mean. I never said anything abut any lens outperforming any other lens at any ISO, at least not that I can recall. Although it *is* generally acknowledged than the 50/1.7 is sharper at f/1.7 than the 50/1.4 is at that same aperture. That is, indeed, a matter of opinion (although MTF numbers or resolution numbers are reasonably objective - but of course IQ is more than this).
That was a tangent that OneMoreDave brought into it along with K extension tubes.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sticking to the point here, which is discussing the different 50mm lenses to help the OP decide on one.
That's they funniest thing I've read this week. Hysterical

Yes, but as others have already pointed out, the FA50 should be available used for much less than $370. The difference in price between these lenses is normally quite small.
Yes, and I said that $370 USD was about $100 overpriced for a used FA 50.

Perhaps, but Ebay is virtually everywhere, and these lenses aren't rare enough to worry about the subset of people who won't ship worldwide.
Sure Ebay is an option. Have you priced shipping to The Phillippines? It would be at least $41.28 via International Priority Mail from the U.S. Plus there is the unknown factor dealing with ebay. What if it gets there with mushrooms growing in it? Back to the point, say he finds a used FA 50mm f1.4 for $275 in the marketplace. $275 + 41.28 puts it back to 316.28 plus customs may or may not be an issue. The biggest benefit is it opens up the option of other lenses.

But sure, if for some reason these are the only two lenses the OP can possibly consider, then there is no point adding the A50/1.7 to the list. I just can't imagine why I'd want to assume that.
Those were what he said were locally available used in addition to a New DA 40mm and FA 50mm f1.4

Do you want to beat on the horse for a while > deadhorse
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member

a used or mint FA50/1.4 is usually sold at around $230-$250 dollars. plus shipping ($40) and customs (items below 1k are exempted I think) or you don't have to pay customs as long as you don't disclose the item as merchandise. so you pay around $270-$290 which is $80-$100 dollars less than what is being offered to the OP. for $370, the OP would be better off buying a Tammy 17-50/28-75, Sigma 50/105 macro, Tammy 90 which are far better lens than the FA50/1.4.
05-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #52
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
...the OP would be better off buying a Tammy 17-50/28-75, Sigma 50/105 macro, Tammy 90 which are far better lens than the FA50/1.4.
The Tamron 90 is a nice lens, but the FA 50 is...

A - faster
B - sharper
C - wider
D - leaves Tamron is the dust when it comes to speed of focus.
E - it is also much smaller than any of the above choices.
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #53
Pentaxian

The lens has nothing to do with the ability to raise the ISO whether its a Noctilux or an A f2.
Somehow I get the idea we're just talking about two totally different things. You are obviously not getting me, and I'm obviously not getting you. Doesn't really seem to be any point in continuing this particular discussion. Maybe we'll be on the same wavelength next time.

05-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by poogeek Quote
hi... im just a beginner, i just want your opinion should i go with the FA because of the auto focus or the A cause its cheaper? price, A $190, FA $370 both used in good condition. my body K-x. thank you!
Here is a possibility from the marketplace. It is an M series 50mm f1.4 with hood.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/100199-sale-p...worldwide.html

Here's a DA 40mm ltd including WW shipping

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/100282-sale-d...worldwide.html
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #55
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a possibility from the marketplace. It is an M series 50mm f1.4 with hood.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/100199-sale-p...worldwide.html

Here's a DA 40mm ltd including WW shipping

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/100282-sale-d...worldwide.html
wow youre fast! but the DA 40mm is already sold... wooohhh.... have to wait for another one
05-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #56
Pentaxian

The A is a good lens, but with any fast manual focus lens I'd suggest thinking about getting a split-ring focusing screen, as manually focusing, even with AF confirm, is tricky on a K10D.
05-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #57

I just bought the FA 50mm 1.4 and all I can say is...... WOW what a great freaking lens...

I'd post some pics but my friend borrowed my SD card and promised to upload pics on her facebook only to not do that yet... so... in the meantime, all I can say is if you were to get the FA 50mm, you will not be disappointed...
05-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #58

Firstly I think it would be a good idea if the posters in this thread concentrate on helping the original poster, rather than entertaining an "the other forum" style quarrel.

Secondly I'd like to support the remark that prices do vary a lot between countries, depending on the local availability, VAT, market efficiency e t c. Prices in Europe are substantially higher than in the US, and I guess even higher in countries like the Phillippines. I recently sold my A50mm 1.4 for SEK 1650 (around USD 210) which was OK but not very good from the sellers point of view (Sweden).
But patience might pay off, I've built a fine lens collection at bargain prices having my radar up and browsing internet sites, garage sales and flea markets till I find what I want at a price I'm prepared to pay (often far less, actually!).

Thirdly: I have the FA 50mm 1.4, the F 50mm 1.4 and had the A 50mm 1.4. In spite of rumors stating that the A model has a superior image quality, I cannot see any difference at all between pictures from the three lenses. They are all stunningly good. The only reason to get an F or FA is if you want autofocus, the only reason to get the A is the lower price.

I also had an F 50mm 1.7, and it was a lot softer than the FA 1.4 wide open. At smaller apertures they were pretty equal. Maybe my F 1.7 was a lemon, since my experience goes against what others have reported.

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; 05-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.
05-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #59
Site Supporter

The OP is now considering the DA 40mm ltd compared to the FA 50mm f1.4.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/100436-da-40mm...mm-f1-4-a.html