Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the best for the repair Robin.
It'll be worth it I'm sure.

06-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You are right there.

I grew up taking great care of everything I had the good fortune of being given, and that tradition has remained with me. I always put a lens cap on when not using a lens, use padded bags, etc. In fact I have to train myself into being a bit freer with gear since it doesn't pay to be too precious either.

But this is an old lens; parts simply fail after a while. The upside is that this is going to be like brand new when I get it back!
I hope you don't think I was accusing you of abusing your equipment. I just thought it sounded a little fishy that the repair place said they needed parts. Most of the time, parts become misaligned from regular use, not damaged.
06-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My problem is that I'm looking at selling off as many lenses as possible in the near future. Bills need paying. So I may have to sell the brand new repaired lens... which would hurt!

Hey, no problem hangu, I did not take your message negatively.
06-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Where do you see them go for $600? Ebay?

There are a whole slew of 90-105mm macros out there, the 105mm series 1 is certainly not the best of the bunch. David at "Making, Not Taking" did a pretty nifty macro shootout comparison.

The Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 (Bokina) is visibly better at corner sharpness/contrast and I would say slightly better at center sharpness as well.

Macro_LRC_layout_f2513.jpg (image)

I know I'm pixel peeing here but if you're going to pixel peep, macro shots are definitely where you would do it.

The Bokina requires an adapter to reach 1:1 and will not focus to infinity with the adapter on, while this is an inconvenience, I think it's a worthy trade off for superior image quality from macro to telephoto work.

I've heard that the 105mm S1 is not great for portraits and other non-macro work, is this true? I feel like it's more of a rumor.
Wow, is the 90mm Vivitar/Komine/Elicar/Panagor/etc that bad at less than f/8??

06-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Wow, is the 90mm Vivitar/Komine/Elicar/Panagor/etc that bad at less than f/8??
I think David's test was excellent but not perfect. A two-dimensional dollar bill probably isn't the greatest test subject in the world. A bouquet of flowers or a mounted butterfly would have been far better test subjects. After all, aren't colors and the depth of field important to a macro lens?

I believe some of the lenses he tested were identical and made by the same company, yet the image samples were drastically different. Hence, there seems to be some sample variation between identical models. They're far more complex than a non macro prime lens.

Having used both, I think the Komine is inferior to the Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina and Kiron) 90/105mm macros but not by that much. I'm not entirely sure that the Kiron is inferior to the Tokina after seeing loads of real world samples.
06-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #51
Veteran Member

updates:

as for FD mount lens infinity use, some people might become glad to know that the Samsung NX10 is able to accomodate FD type lenses without requiring mount adapters with optical correction lens for infinty focus. I know that this is not new with the m4/3 cameras, but this is for the APS-C size camera which would accomodate more room and less DOF compared to the m4/3 cameras. but what is important is that FD lenses would now be able to be used at full strength without losing light, IQ degradation and magnification and cropping.

there is also a possibility that some mount adapters might be produced for the NEX mount.
06-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
UPDATE

The lens was shipped back from Sendean in London and arrived today. It is fixed up almost as good as new... in some way better since it will be clean and serviced. The only hitch is that the tech did not have the correct spring to attach to the aperture dial. So in order to move from the "A" setting to a manual aperture I need to perform this dance:
1. remove lens from camera
2. focus to infinity
3. depress aperture pin on mount while turning aperture dial
4. put it back on camera and all is good

This is not a big deal to me as I am happy in A mode. And very glad to have my best macro lens back home!

Communication was excellent with this company, who obviously do a roaring business in repairs (judging by their store).

Last edited by rparmar; 06-21-2010 at 08:53 AM.
03-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have my Kiron version all apart, so I can give you some tips there. (For some reason I have not put it together yet, can't really explain why.) I don't have a guess about what might be wrong with your lens. These lenses have two sets of focus threads, so they can extend in front of and behind the focus ring. If only one end moves, that at least tells you what end to look at.

If you can't fix it and it's the KA mount version, you might look for a Pentax lens without the A position on the aperture ring instead. The KA mount can be moved to the new lens without much trouble, PM for details. This lessens the replacement cost a little. Unfortunately even the K mount version sells for a lot, and it doesn't look like other mounts are cheap either. Here's the mount removed:
I bought a lens with stuck focusing. I was able to release it but now it's shaky. The reason is probably screw got loosen inside due to much force used to focus. Problem: i cannot remove label ring to open from front side and reach two screws on photo. I'd appreciate good advice.

03-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Could those screws be accessed by peeling the rubber grip back and exposing the zoom slot ?

This is a Tokina, but it could be similar?
03-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Could those screws be accessed by peeling the rubber grip back and exposing the zoom slot ?

This is a Tokina, but it could be similar?
Sadly no - i already removed rubber. Most probably screws are under front label.