Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Looking for the ideal 55mm+ zoom

Hey all,
I'm looking for a higher focal length lens to complement my 18-55mm kit lens that came with my K-7. I've considered the DA 55-300, but I'm leaning more toward the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for the constant and lower f ratio which I feel will give me much better performance.

I'm shooting mostly outside, but once in a while, like last night, I might shoot a concert or something where I think the light gathering abilities of an f/2.8 lens might be a huge advantage.

That being said, I have a couple questions about the Tamron. The dpreview.com review said it had the following cons:
  • Slow and noisy autofocus motor
  • Somewhat clunky manual focus switchover mechanism
  • Tendency towards slight misfocusing (at least in Canon mount
However, it also said
QuoteQuote:
It's also fair to say that the body-driven Pentax and Sony versions may behave rather better all round.
So what I'm wondering is, will the Pentax lens on my K-7 also have these issues, or is the body-driven design a game-changer?

As a last word, I'm also up for looking at other lenses, these are the two that have my 'focus', though.

Peace and thanks,
MP

05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Not sure how obvious this is to you already, but I think you should check out the difference in size and weight between those lenses, and then ask yourself if you really want to carry a three-pound 70-200/2.8 around with you all the time just because you might occasionally use it at a concert. While some don't mind this, most people would probably be far happier with the 55-300 for general use, and then something else for low light use when necessary (the 70-200, or perhaps the DA*50-135, which I find to be a better focal length range for concerts - or even a 100mm prme).
05-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not sure how obvious this is to you already, but I think you should check out the difference in size and weight between those lenses, and then ask yourself if you really want to carry a three-pound 70-200/2.8 around with you all the time just because you might occasionally use it at a concert. While some don't mind this, most people would probably be far happier with the 55-300 for general use, and then something else for low light use when necessary (the 70-200, or perhaps the DA*50-135, which I find to be a better focal length range for concerts - or even a 100mm prme).
The weight is something I had been considering. Now that you present it like that, I really do like that idea. The 55-300 would give me a great range for general shooting, and the 50-135 is probably much more of the range I want for low light photography.

I think I had the pieces there... but thanks for putting them together for me. Best plan I've heard.