Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax-Auto-Bellows

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a question:

please have a look at this link
Pentax Auto Bellows Auto Balgengerät Asahi Pentax bei eBay.de: Makrofotografie (endet 08.05.10 18:29:08 MESZ)

Can i use this with my existing gear (e.g. K10D, DFA 100mm, etc)?

Yours Deimo

Last edited by Deimo; 05-02-2010 at 12:58 AM.
05-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

Pentax M42 or Pentax K Mount

The auto bellows you are looking at should either be a M42 or K mount. I believe these mounts will work with modern Pentax Camera bodies via an adapter found on eBay or at Amazon or online camera store.

Keep in mind that this is all manual with regards to setting the aperture and focus.

I have written an article on the Pentax AutoBellows. The article gets into using the manual features and suggestions for inexpensive lenses.

The article is here.

Last edited by stover98074; 05-08-2010 at 08:47 AM.
05-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

From the photo, the bellows is M42 mount.

It can be used with current Pentax DSLRs with some limitations:

1. You need an M42-to-pk adapter to attach the bellows to the camera body. Since "infinity focus" is meaningless with bellows, a cheapo adapter with flange will do.

2. You need a lens with aperture ring and with M42 mount to attach to the other end of the bellows.

3. Metering will be manual close-down.

Alternatively, you can replace the mounts at both or either end of the bellows to pK mount. At the end the lens is attached to, you need a mount from a camera body.
05-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thx guys for your answers! Very useful.

05-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You cannot fit the bellows on your K10D.
The flash nose is in the way.
You need to add an extension tube between bellows and camera.
05-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #6

Camera Fitting

That is a good point and one that I have run into with some lenses. Fortunately, for the camera body I use it was not an issue. Adding the extension tube is a great solution and will potential add to total magnification. Below is my camera body fitted to the M42 Pentax Autobellows.

05-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got exactly the same bellows, and I can use it on my K20d!

05-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had an Auto Bellows K and I can only say that I couldn't mount it on my K10/K20 without an extension tube because the flash nose was in the way.
I sold it, so cannot check anymore.

The "Auto" option isn't much worth anyway for a digital body because you cannot fit the mechanical release cable to the body.
05-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

K10D and Auto Bellows M

I have the Auto Bellows M and I am able to mount it on my K10D. It fits under the protruding flash but I did have to remove the battery grip. It seems to work just fine. I'll have to experiment with it at some future date.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 05-02-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
05-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I had an Auto Bellows K and I can only say that I couldn't mount it on my K10/K20 without an extension tube because the flash nose was in the way.
There is a coupler; one side is a K-mount (similar to that of a pK-mount lens), the other side of the coupler is attached to the bellow, kept in place by a simple knurled screw.

If you leave the coupler attached to the bellows, then trying to attach the whole thing to the camera, you can't rotate the bellows to lock it to the camera body.

The "correct" way is: (1) Remove the coupler from the bellows and attached it to the camera body, then (2) Attached the bellows to the coupler, tighten the knurled screw.

The "Auto" option isn't much worth anyway for a digital body because you cannot fit the mechanical release cable to the body.
Use the double-ended cable release to close down the lens, then use a different remote to trigger the shutter.
05-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The "correct" way is: (1) Remove the coupler from the bellows and attached it to the camera body, then (2) Attached the bellows to the coupler, tighten the knurled screw.
Ok, this may work, too.

QuoteQuote:
Use the double-ended cable release to close down the lens, then use a different remote to trigger the shutter.
Yes, but is this of any advantage? Compared to a non-AUTO bellows?
05-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I sold it, so cannot check anymore.

The same with mine. There is also no coupler to remove the mount-standard. There is only a screw to lock the mount in portrait or landscape orientation. The smallest 12mm/13mm extension tube will do the trick, though.

Ben