Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I don't mean this to be rude at all, but I would really prefer it if you did. I'm trying to help everyone here too, just more than I did before (and I did help people a lot in the threads and make comments before the contest, it's not entirely because of that) but I don't know as much about Pentax as everyone else here (although I've even owned some of the cameras and lenses), so sometimes my help isn't going to be the best.
Please, spare us the lofty altruistic crap about purporting trying to help others when you can't even get your facts about things Pentax related right.
Just be upfront and say you want to increase your post count and win the K-x contest. Since you're carpet bombing your posts on so many threads and digging up old threads, at least stop posting erroneous info.

04-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #62
Veteran Member

It is a considerable relief that this contest is almost over.
04-20-2010, 12:39 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
It is a considerable relief that this contest is almost over.
I hope that helped a little bit. Sorry.
04-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #64
Veteran Member

You do realise the contest you're spamming us all in an attempt to win specifically forbids content-free posts like this one, and also counts short posts like those you're making against you, right?

You might want to maybe read the rules again, then start posting longer, meaningful replies on current topics where you've the appropriate knowledge...

04-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomw Quote
Perhaps, but I really think that the Nikon D300s and the Canon 7D are superior in IQ and certainly AF and low light capability. Quite a few reviewers even find the k x ISO capability and IQ on par if not superior to the K7. I passed on it and still have the K20D and I am glad I did. But, my point in this thread isn't that the K7 in a poor camera (quite the contrary); it is more than serviceable. However, does Pentax make a DSLR worthy of its superb primes. I think there is a wow factor with many primes, that simply doesn't exist with the cameras.
With 14+MP at the small APS-C sensor, the high quality Pentax primes are needed and can show off all their capabilities. You need something around 100 lpmm resolution to use the high res sensors to the full.

Pentax could cram in another couple of megapixels, that would yield bigger image files, with not much more (if any) additional image detail. The only point, in my personal opinion, that still needs addressing is AF performance. In most other respects, Pentax with the Kx and K7 arrived at a technical status quo, that is more than just competitive.

Anything really "more professional", would mean a FF sensor with the according cost involved. As we all would expect a marked improvement over the K7, that cannot be an el cheap FF camera, but would be quite expensive.

And if you just go through the discussion threads of any one day in this forum, you will find, that nearly 100% of all equipment discussions start with: I need something good, but cheap… That means, Pentax could not make good business out of an expensive FF camera and there is no need for a mediocre one.

Ben
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Thanks, appreciated.
04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
You do realise the contest you're spamming us all in an attempt to win specifically forbids content-free posts like this one, and also counts short posts like those you're making against you, right?

You might want to maybe read the rules again, then start posting longer, meaningful replies on current topics where you've the appropriate knowledge...
I don't quite know what you're talking about here, but just because I'm in the contest doesn't mean that every single one of my posts has to be short. I don't think you're making very much sense here, and believe me, I have read the rules. Thanks for your input though.

04-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #68
Veteran Member

I don't quite know what you're talking about here, but just because I'm in the contest doesn't mean that every single one of my posts has to be short. I don't think you're making very much sense here, and believe me, I have read the rules. Thanks for your input though.
The post I replied to (and quoted) was just eight words long, and contained no content. The contest rules state that "substance-less single-line posts just made to 'pad your postcount' ... do not count".

They also state that the winners are chosen based not only on total post count, but also on the length of those posts. I'm simplifying a bit, but every post less than about 275 characters in length will automatically be penalized by having some or most of its score subtracted from your total post count. Conversely, posts longer than 425 characters earn you increasingly more towards your post count, so that a single longer post might end up counting as much as two or three average posts would've.

Based on what I've seen, this applies to a lot of what you're posting in the hopes of inflating your post count to win the contest - so what you're actually doing is reducing your chances of winning by wasting your time (and ours) posting a bunch of one or two sentence fluff.

Why I'm helping you, I don't know. (Other than perhaps the vain hope you'll see the light and start trying to post fewer, more meaningful posts rather than a bunch of really short posts with little thought or research to confirm what you're posting is even true.
04-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
The post I replied to (and quoted) was just eight words long, and contained no content. The contest rules state that "substance-less single-line posts just made to 'pad your postcount' ... do not count".

They also state that the winners are chosen based not only on total post count, but also on the length of those posts. I'm simplifying a bit, but every post less than about 275 characters in length will automatically be penalized by having some or most of its score subtracted from your total post count. Conversely, posts longer than 425 characters earn you increasingly more towards your post count, so that a single longer post might end up counting as much as two or three average posts would've.

Based on what I've seen, this applies to a lot of what you're posting in the hopes of inflating your post count to win the contest - so what you're actually doing is reducing your chances of winning by wasting your time (and ours) posting a bunch of one or two sentence fluff.

Why I'm helping you, I don't know. (Other than perhaps the vain hope you'll see the light and start trying to post fewer, more meaningful posts rather than a bunch of really short posts with little thought or research to confirm what you're posting is even true.
My comment was to the moderator (Nass) and I will clarify again that you are misinformed about how the contest works.
04-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #70
Veteran Member

My comment was to the moderator (Nass) and I will clarify again that you are misinformed about how the contest works.
A: If your comment was to the moderator, why did you quote my post?

B: No, I am not misinformed. Since you apparently have issues comprehending the rules, let me cut and paste an exact quote from the rules that confirms exactly what I said, as well as linking to the official post where you can read this for yourself.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-million-post-giveaway/96...-giveaway.html

Note that this is an exact quote, unaltered in even the tiniest way, except for the addition of bolding on the parts that confirm what I said.

QuoteQuote:
"Who will win?

The winners of the competition will be the three members who whose posts contribute the most to the forum between April 8th 00:00:01 EDT and the end of the week during which the millionth post (per homepage counter) is made. Post count and post length are factors; see below.

This is the algorithm for calculating each individual's contribution score:

Your score is calculated as follows:

Avg = ~425 (the average length of all forum posts, measured in characters of raw input)

Total1 = Total number of forum posts between April 8, 2010 and end of contest
Total2 = Bonus, which is incremented by the decimal percentage that any post exceeds Avg, times 0.85, for each of your posts that exceeds Avg in length
Total3 = Penalty, which is incremented by the decimal percentage that any post is below Avg, for each of your posts 65+% shorter than Avg

Final Score = Total1 + Total2 - Total3

The winners will be the three members with the highest Final Score.

How to Enter

To enter in the competition, please post a message as a reply to this this post. Once the millionth post is made and the week ends, we will tally all posts and announce the winners. Please note: posts over at canikonforums.com are also counted. However, posts made in News/Suggestions, General Talk, Politics, or the Marketplace do not count, nor do one-word replies or substance-less single-line posts just made to 'pad your postcount'. Users simply posting meaningless posts will be noted and disqualified."
04-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #71
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1009774-post63.html

The moderators quote is in my post.

Yeah, I'm done with you.
04-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rparmar; Please look at the excellent photos shot by many people here and tell me how they would be better with another brand.
They wouldn't.

Revolutionary thought! The quality of the picture is more important than the brand that captured it! There are lot of photographers who have spent plenty on their eqipment that would have trouble assessing that idea. But I am not one.
04-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #73
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1009774-post63.html

The moderators quote is in my post.

Yeah, I'm done with you.

No, it's not. As I said, you replied to my post.
04-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #74
Veteran Member

You quoted the wrong post from me, the short one that was a reply to the moderator.

Anyways, I don't know what you're even trying to get at here, I know how the contest works and most of my posts are within the limits, but you're seriously going to criticize me for having a single one in this thread that is below the limit? Did you even bother to look at the rest of them?

EDIT: You've now changed that first quote too.
04-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #75
Veteran Member

You quoted the wrong post from me, the short one that was a reply to the moderator.

Anyways, I don't know what you're even trying to get at here, I know how the contest works and most of my posts are within the limits, but you're seriously going to criticize me for having a single one in this thread that is below the limit? Did you even bother to look at the rest of them?

EDIT: You've now changed that first quote too.
I haven't "changed" any quote. And you claimed I was misinformed about how the contest works (I wasn't, as the bolded quotes confirm), you suggested I said you needed to write shorter posts (when I said the exact opposite), and most importantly, in your bid to flood the forums with spam posts you're telling people complete nonsense (such as claiming the K-7 has no cross-type sensors when 9 of its 11 points are cross-type, for example).

If you read back (which I know you won't), you'll see all I said from the first post on this topic was a gentle suggestion that you post fewer but longer, more informative and better researched posts - both because it'd help your odds at the contest, and more importantly because you might actually offer something positive or useful to other forum members, rather than drowning them in a morass of content-free or downright misinformational posts.
Closed Thread