Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens pricing

I subscribe to Outdoor Photographer magazine and have wondered for a while now why you don't post prices for Pentax lenses but you do for Nikon, Canon, etc...

Is there a reason you don't post prices for Pentax Lenses?

07-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I subscribe to Outdoor Photographer magazine and have wondered for a while now why you don't post prices for Pentax lenses but you do for Nikon, Canon, etc...
Is there a reason you don't post prices for Pentax Lenses?
I just looked at our Pentax lens listing and we seem to have three types of listings:
Price shown,
Price shown plus a note saying "Add to cart for lower price," and
No price but a note saying "Add to cart to see price."

We are obliged to honor MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements whenever a manufacturer imposes one. These agreements limit what we can show in our print ads and website and how we can convey our real selling price, particularly online.

Pentax's MAP rules permit the "Add to cart for lower price," method. Other retailers require the customer e-mail us.In those instances we include a link on the product's page and we reply instantly with the price and a special URL allowing the customer to buy that item at that price.

We appreciate this is an inconvenience and we do what we can to minimize that.

Last edited by henryp; 07-22-2010 at 12:50 PM.
07-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm talking about your print adds. not online dealers
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #4

He mentioned that.

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
These agreements limit what we can show in our print ads and website and how we can convey our real selling price, particularly online.

07-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
I'm talking about your print adds. not online dealers
The MAP issue applies, as I said above, and that's the primary reason. Also, there's a lead time between when our ads are prepared and when they reach your hands. Interim price fluctuations could make printed prices inaccurate. It's been our recent experience this is a greater issue with some brands than with others. We do publish our prices whenever it's possible to do so.