Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Our company stopped shipping via FedEx to Canada because in many cases the customer would not pay the duties (which are billed separately by FedEX), and we were stuck with paying them. I think with UPS they make the customer pay at the time of pick up so we never had an issue. We have explored just about every option, and it is usually a case of "fast, cheap, trackable - pick 2". We don't even ship overseas. As I said it was pushing $40 to send a flash to Australia via FedEx Intl.

People still ask us to use that Jiffy envelope and a prayer, though, when S&H is all of $3.99. I know exactly what Henry is talking about.
The problem with UPS isn't duties, which if one wants the item, one needs to pay.
UPS charges a userous amount for brokerage.
$20.00 minimum or 15% of the declared value, whichever is greater.
Canada Post charges a flat $8.00 handling charge, and often, stuff comes through with no duties charges at all.

As I said to Henry, there is more to the Post Office than what you call a Jiffy Envelope (which is probably a perfectly acceptable option for a lot of stuff anyway).

11-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Ehlacore Quote
Henry, I appreciate your response and I can feel passion in it.
Thank you.
QuoteQuote:
I would of been happy not responding without your last sarcastic comment.
No sarcasm was intended. I am sorry if the sentence was mis-interpretable.
QuoteQuote:
The shipping cost (for me) is not even close to comparable to what it should be. Please look into it. Thank you.
As I said, our Internat'l Business Initiative team is charged with just that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hi Henry, thanks for the reply.
For me, a camera that isn't bought from a Canadian distributor is gray market, so please don't take offense at the usage in relation to what you sell.
No offense taken, but "grey market" is a legal term with a specific definition and in the interest of accuracy I think it's useful if we all use the same terms to meant he same things.
QuoteQuote:
No one is asking you to toss "merchandise into a padded "Jiffy" bag with a few stamps and a prayer", and I'm certain you don't mean that to sound as patronizing as it comes of sounding.
Absent the "prayer" part, we do get asked just that periodically.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
People still ask us to use that Jiffy envelope and a prayer, though, when S&H is all of $3.99. I know exactly what Henry is talking about.
As I said ... thank you.

UPS charges a usrous amount for brokerage.
The UPS options we make available for shipping to Canada do not include UPS ground. Brokerage is included with the s&h originally applied to the order.

I just put a Nikon lens (price around $350) in a shopping cart and selected Canada as the destination. Shipping options include Purolator, 2 UPS, 2 FedEx and 2 USPS options. I did the same with an iPod and got the same options.
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
The UPS options we make available for shipping to Canada do not include UPS ground. Brokerage is included with the s&h originally applied to the order.

I just put a Nikon lens (price around $350) in a shopping cart and selected Canada as the destination. Shipping options include Purolator, 2 UPS, 2 FedEx and 2 USPS options. I did the same with an iPod and got the same options.
I think it would be nice if B&H would state clearly the brokerage fee was included for the first 5 items only with UPS non-ground shipping to Canada (no idea about other countries) because I was hit once early this year. Also, I am looking forward the incorrect duties showing by the Purolator Ground would be addressed asap. I love to make some more purchases soon but not b4 this has been fixed. 12% HST is pretty steep already, and I can live w/o incorrect duties. BTW, do you think it would be possible for B&H to pre-charge HST/duties like Purolator Ground when checking out? This will save much hassle when the UPS guy made the delivery. Thank you.
11-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I think it would be nice if B&H would state clearly the brokerage fee was included for the first 5 items only with UPS non-ground shipping to Canada (no idea about other countries) because I was hit once early this year.
You were dunned brokerage for an order from B&H Photo shipped via UPS? Please email your order number to me.

QuoteQuote:
Also, I am looking forward the incorrect duties showing by the Purolator Ground would be addressed asap.
We're working on it assiduously.

11-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Thank you.

No offense taken, but "grey market" is a legal term with a specific definition and in the interest of accuracy I think it's useful if we all use the same terms to meant he same things.
Clarify for me please, a camera that comes to a Canadian customer from the American food chain, thereby bypassing Pentax Canada is not grey market, but that same camera coming from a store in Hong Kong is?
Please remember, I am speaking from how it sits in my house, not yours.

UPS has always charged me an additional fee for deliveries from the USA, including B&H.
11-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #21
B&H Photo Representative

Clarify for me please, a camera that comes to a Canadian customer from the American food chain, thereby bypassing Pentax Canada is not grey market, but that same camera coming from a store in Hong Kong is?
Having told my kid countless times not to use Wikipedia for school work I nevertheless turn to their description.

QuoteQuote:
UPS has always charged me an additional fee for deliveries from the USA, including B&H.
In the past when Canadian customers have asked for clarification we've almost always found the fees charged were duty or another import fee, but not brokerage. Nevertheless we're happy to investigate any customer's concern.
11-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To Canadian buyers, I have upload the UPS Guide which might explain the problem. On page 59, it states only the first 5 items were free of brokerage fee for any non-ground shipping. This explanation is inline with my last order shipped by UPS. Anyone interested might check it out. From now on, I will use Purolator Ground.

Download UPS_rate_guide_ca.pdf from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
11-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photograpic camera lenses imported into Canada are classified under h.s. 9002.11.10.10 and are duty free.

this is according to my customs broker i use at work, I only queried as it came up on another thread. However I would expect to get dinged for the taxes (HST or GST/PST depending on your province), and I would expect most carriers to charge some sort of brokerage fee for this

11-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

and if you look at this document from the canadian border service agency you'll find almost all photographic equipment is duty free with some very rare exceptions

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2009/01-99/ch90-eng.pdf

the exception being items like 35mm single use cameras (5%) and other items of this nature.

Remember Duties are all about protecting domestic industry, It's been a long time since a camera was manufactured here (one time uses by Kodak used to be until a few years ago)

You should go back to purolator and ask why these estimates are applied. personally it has stopped me from shopping with you for now (that and the fact that i can actually order the k5 in canada for less at the moment)
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Having told my kid countless times not to use Wikipedia for school work I nevertheless turn to their description.
Yup, that's the description I read yesterday.
For Canadian customers, you are a gray market vendor according to the definition you sent me to read.

In the past when Canadian customers have asked for clarification we've almost always found the fees charged were duty or another import fee, but not brokerage. Nevertheless we're happy to investigate any customer's concern.
That would be why UPS dinged me 80 bucks or so brokerage to let me have my Photogenic Beauty dish last year, because they only have a line on their invoice called brokerage, not other duty or fee. If I can, I'll see if I can dig up the invoice from them and email you a copy.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-18-2010 at 06:25 PM.
11-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #26

Photos: Gallery
B & H are doing themselves a disservice. I recently bought a Black Rapid RS-5 - shipping from B & H was double what it cost me to purchase direct from Black Rapid. That's to Oz.
11-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW I've noticed the duties have not shown on anything I've checked recently so apparently it's been fixed. I actually had a friend call me from Jamaica for a camera suggestion and told him to get a K-X with the 18-55/55-300 kit from you but to join the forum first and click through and to act this week while the hot deals are on (I was tempted but it's not the camera for me)
11-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Depending what service the seller use make a big difference. If the seller use, you are hit with brokerage fee. If the seller use UPS Express or expedited, it's free
I bought from Newegg.ca this year and was ship by UPS Expedited, I never paid a sinpgle penny.
Here the proper page to see the details
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada
11-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #29

People tend to forget that someone has to be paid to package items up for transit.
People also expect a decent wage for work done... go figure.

Don't use UPS to ship to canada unless the selling outfit has a deal with them. Those charges at the door can equal or exceed the cost of the item.
11-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel_r Quote
Don't use UPS to ship to canada unless the selling outfit has a deal with them. Those charges at the door can equal or exceed the cost of the item.
Not true if they use Expedited or Express . See document below

UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada