Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Radio Flash Trigger(s) for Pentax AF-540 FGZ & K20D?

Dear B&H Expert Sir/Madam:

I'm researching wireless flash triggers for location portraiture using the Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash & K20D. I have far too many misfires using the pop-up as a controller & 540 as slave, and I also often exceed the 13-feet maximum distance between camera and flash, so I must upgrade. Researching wireless trigger systems is tedious, but I'm not finding the specific answers I seek. Have you any insights as to which manufacturer’s/model's receiver/transmitter systems are compatible and reliable with the K20D/540 combo? I'd prefer a system that is not brand-specific so can use it with other setups in the event I switch camera systems. Is a trigger basically just a trigger? Or is there the threat of "frying" the flash and/or camera using an incompatible system? I'm not opposed to spending the right amount of money for the ideal setup, but I don't want to pay for more features than I really need. E.g., a few channels would be nice, but I don't need to trigger my flash from the next state over. So far, I've looked at less expensive models/kits from Photoflex, Lastolite and Flashpoint that, according to their product descriptions, seem to be adequate, but they're always using/demo-ing their products with Nikon or Canon flashes - and some boast being designed specifically for Speedlights. Please share your wisdom and help me demystify this decision making process. Thanks!