Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paypal Question

Chuck

Speaking for all Australian Members of Pentax Forums, I would like to ask why is there no Paypal access to B&H for Aussie members?
This is hard to understand, considering the potential market in this country.
I, myself use B&H regularly, and am rather disappointed at having to use credit card payment in place of Paypal.
Can this please be seriously considered?

We are a fairly honest lot down here, you know

Many thanks.

Last edited by Bramela; 12-28-2010 at 02:49 PM.
12-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Speaking for all Australian Members of Pentax Forums, I would like to ask why is there no Paypal access to B&H for Aussie members?
When we started dealing with PayPal we began cautiously, and since have had other more pressing priorities as we fine-tune our international business opportunities. This is a valid question and one I will share today with our International Business initiatives team. Barring any valid reason to continue as we are, I hope they'll explore this early in 2011.
12-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Henry, very much. I appreciate your reply.
01-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Chuck

This is hard to understand, considering the potential market in this country.
I, myself use B&H regularly, and am rather disappointed at having to use credit card payment in place of Paypal.
Can this please be seriously considered?

We are a fairly honest lot down here, you know

Many thanks.
I for one promised myself that never ever would I buy anything on internet using a credit card. I paid once for a trip from Sydney to the Middle East and I didn't even get any pictures or souvenirs in return.
Somebody got my credit card details so I'm sure will have my address as well and would you believe???nothing .... not even a postcard
I'm still doing window shopping all the way from Sydney on the B&H internet side.
Or yeah.... I'm a loyal customer, and even shipping charges don't scare me too much (though definitely could be more attractive). It's like you have a customer but you haven't got one.
From now on PayPal only or no sale.
One more thing, all this :

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
When we started dealing with PayPal we began cautiously, and since have had other more pressing priorities as we fine-tune our international business opportunities. This is a valid question and one I will share today with our International Business initiatives team. Barring any valid reason to continue as we are, I hope they'll explore this early in 2011.
is just some kind of bulldust /pretty weak excuse and total lack of market recognition or you dear Henry and your so called "International Business initiatives team" have no idea that B&H is losing heaps of mighty $$$$...
There are hundreds of much much smaller companies that include PayPal as another paying option.
hmmm that will do for now, going "window" shopping now:ugh:

01-05-2011, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Go easy now Greg, it isn't all that lame.

B&H at least give the option of paying for goods by most available credit cards (including AmEx! one of the few vendors who do - not even PayPal permits this for us Aussies!), and *securely*. I have done so on multiple occasions with B&H, Adorama and KEH - on each occasion, their service has always been top notch, shipping *very* fast and prices as best as you can get them anywhere else in the world.

So, put it in perspective, and go the extra mile for gear you know is covered by a generous international guarantee policy.
01-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregs Quote
I for one promised myself that never ever would I buy anything on internet using a credit card. I paid once for a trip from Sydney to the Middle East and I didn't even get any pictures or souvenirs in return.
Perhaps you're unfamiliar with how credit card pirates generally operate these days. This is a wholesale industry. An individual thief obtains your card info by whatever means and sells it to a middleman who bundles your info with dozens or hundreds of others. Then that "deck" of purloined card info is wholesaled to distributors who might sell a hundred or ten or one. That takes time so if the pirate who bought yours only bought one, there's still the chance months could pass. But what's more often the case is the pirates start using the first stolen card in their deck until it is cut off and they move on to the second until it goes dry and so on. That could take quite a bit of time. The result is your card could have been boosted months before you use it here and the pirate's activity entirely unrelated to your purchase with us.

In fact it's quite likely that a thief sat on the credit card information for weeks or months before using it. It's also just as likely the card was initially stolen during a card-present transaction, not a web or mail-order purchase. A waiter can boost your card info from a reader on his belt no larger than a beeper while walking your card from your table to the cash register. One one-second swipe.

QuoteQuote:
One more thing, all this :
SNIP
is just some kind of bulldust /pretty weak excuse and total lack of market recognition
As a matter of fact what I wrote is what's factually accurate. I appreciate your opinion but I will stick to the facts here. We know there are customers who prefer not to use credit cards which is why we have PayPal and Google checkout and wire transfer options. I hope our PayPal option is expanded to many more countries during 2011, but "some kind of bulldust" was unnecessary and incorrect.

Last edited by henryp; 01-05-2011 at 09:20 AM.
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
B&H have been more than cooperative with PF members, so venting tirades like this is totally out of line.

I only put the question to them as a simple request, and I do and will respect any decision made by the company.
I will still deal with them anyway.
Thanks Henry for your time and response.

Please refrain, in future from replies that not only attack B&H but embarrass PF and its members.
I have recently come through an episode with members doing the very same thing and it became quite unsavoury. No more.

Thanks.....Bruce (Mod Team)
Closed Thread