Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Brooke Meyer

B&H and UPS Madness

If you buy a K-5 from B&H, need it for weekend assignments, pay for UPS 2nd Day Air and it gets delayed by weather but still arrives the day you wanted so you could get it from the local UPS warehouse the next morning (Saturday) when their Will Call window is open you CAN'T! Why you ask?

Because B&H has to authorize it and they closed at 1PM on Friday including Customer Service. You need their permission to get what you paid for from the shipper you paid.

UPS Customer Service is then inept and useless. 30 minute hold times and disconnects while waiting for a Supervisor. UPS Supervisor who promised resolution and a call back but didn't. Supervisors who will give you the phone number of the local warehouse that no one will answer. Finally they will tell you that, too late, scanned for destination and locked up delivery on Monday.

I spent a lot of Friday pleading to able to get what I paid for from the shipper I paid. I learned that UPS policy prevents UPS employees from serving customers.

The priority of B&H and UPS is clearly adherence to their policies. If their goal was customer alienation, they get an A+. Caveat Emptor.

Complaint filed with Metro Atlanta BBB about UPS awful Customer Service.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 01-16-2011 at 04:22 PM.
01-15-2011, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
B&H closes early on Friday for religious reasons. Be that as it may, your issues reside with UPS and mother nature. Good luck on dealing with either of those...
01-15-2011, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

B&H closes Saturday for religious reasons as stated. UPS will not let the recipient change the delivery of a package, just the sender. This is because updating the delivery form the recipient end is way to easy to use to commit fraud and theft.

In the end, your complaint is that there was bad weather, and somehow you blame B&H and UPS for this. It happens.

Even if B&H had been open, odds are unless they paid for UPS red, UPS would not deliver it on a Saturday. They charge a HUGE premium for that and tend not to give it away for free.
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Blame God for this one, and shop sooner next time.

01-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
B&H Photo Representative

Brooke: We appreciate your situation and regret you were inconvenienced. As others have noted B&H's Friday afternoon and Saturday schedule cannot be changed. We understand you wanted your camera but too many times we've seen supposed recipients change delivery destinations when the result is fraud and neither the customer nor B&H end up having the camera in the end. We have to exercise some measures of security for the sake of prudence.
01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
B&H closes early on Friday for religious reasons. Be that as it may, your issues reside with UPS and mother nature. Good luck on dealing with either of those...
I guess business is not religion then,trust the holy rollers to screw you up.
01-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Shipment arrived local warehouse 4:15 Friday on a sunny, dry, 50 degree day. Local warehouse has Will Call hours on Saturday morning. Not allowed to pickup packege. Will be out on assignment Monday so will not be able to sign for package. Will have to go to Will Call at Warehouse on Tuesday which is what I wanted to do on Saturday.

Of course, you are all correct. In 2011, it is unreasonable to expect a telephone communication at mid-day in a work week to be completed within 4 hours. I need to plan for that and understand how cold weather slows down those electrons. I have noticed that it doesn't slow down credit card charges. From now on, I'll plan with a sundial and explain to my customers that it's Gods Will.
So, essentially, you are mad at B&H because:

1. It snowed
2. They aren't open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to resolve problems created by the snow that they made fall out of the sky.
3. You had to work on Monday.

Does that sum it up?
01-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm confused by this whole thing. I wasn't at home when UPS came by with my Tamron 70-200. I called the number on the "We missed you" card, arranged a pick up instead of a redelivery, and had it that night. So I've got a few questions for the OP.

1. Did they leave such a card?

2. If they did leave a card, did you call for a pick up, or just show up to get the camera?

If they did leave a card, and you didn't call, the item is automatically put back for delivery as soon as it gets back to the warehouse. You can't expect them to go trying to find your package at that point.

01-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Brooke Meyer

Mea Culpa

I am not blaming B&H for weather
I am not being critical of religious observance.

My camera arrived Here in the UPS warehouse before 5 on Friday afternoon and I couldn't pick it up on Saturday morning . B&H won't allow the person receiving a package to change it to Pick Up which is what I'll end up doing anyway. They are concerned with fraud.

I apologize to all for this complete waste of time.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 01-20-2011 at 10:50 PM.
01-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

UPS is fairly strict about the fact that they have to attempt a home delivery before the customer can pick it up. if you don't like it, I believe there are UPSP shipping options and they deliver on saturday
01-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

UPS allows recipient to change delivery

UPS does allow the recipient to change the delivery, if the sender allows it.

My K10D was a gift from my brother. One Friday evening, I got home from work to find a note on the door, saying that UPS had attempted to deliver a package from B & H, but no mention of what the item was or the value.

I called UPS and they allowed me to change the delivery to my office on Monday morning. My wife and I then went out to dinner. Apparently UPS notified my brother, because, during dinner, I got a call on my cell phone. He didn't tell me what it was, but told me that it would be worth my while to call UPS back.

I did call them back and was able to pick up the package at their distribution center, near the airport, that (Friday) evening.

On another occasion, at work, IBM sent me some tapes, via UPS. Apparently, the UPS driver was a new guy and he couldn't/wouldn't read the building directory, to find out that our office is on the fourth floor. We've had lots of packages, including some from IBM delivered to us, without having to specify the floor. Anyway, UPS called me to tell me that the package was undeliverable. I told them that we were on the fourth floor, but that would, technically, be a change in delivery address. IBM had marked the package with an option that does not allow the recipient to change the delivery. UPS was going to send the tape back from Cleveland, to IBM in Colorado. We were able to contact someone at IBM in Co., who called IBM and made the change, so that the tapes could be delivered.

The moral of this story is that the ability of the recipient to change the delivery options is in the hands of the shipper. On my package, B & H had allowed it, because I was able to change it. IBM, on the other hand, had disallowed it.
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My last purchase from B&H was perfect and arrived on the day their site estimated. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. That's life. Just give yourself enough time.
01-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
With the amount of fraud occurring today, B&H probably feels they have to ship that way. For example, I have read on other sites of people wanting to ship an item to an address other than that of their credit card billing address and being refused service. It sucks that there have to be all these rules and safe guards in place, but that's the way it is.
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
With the amount of fraud occurring today, B&H probably feels they have to ship that way.
In fact fraud is rampant. Card-absent transactions are more susceptible and retailers' exposure greater than with card-present transactions. Rush shipping and changes to shipping after an order has left the retailer are red-flags nowadays. Whether a legit order is illegitimately rerouted or a pirate uses your bill-to and credit card and changes the ship-to while the parcel is en route, the customer's first recourse is always (and understandably) to demand a refund or other compensation from the retailer who is too often as much a victim as the card owner/customer.

There is no perfect solution. There is only compromise with a careful eye to prudence.
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

My K10D was a gift from my brother. One Friday evening, I got home from work to find a note on the door, saying that UPS had attempted to deliver a package from B & H,
There, covered the relevant part for you. UPS will not allow a package to be redirected by the recipient without an attempted delivery by a driver to the address it was shipped to. Unless the shipper calls in the change.