Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
SD card purchase with k7 1.11 firmware installed?

I want to know if I can purchase a new sd memory card through B&H and pay to have the card formatted properly for k7 along with version 1.11 update installed?

Ive downloaded the firmware from both jp site & usa site. jp site allows me to open & read 'read me' but not bin file. Usa site downloads both but neither will open.

Apparently I am super dinosaur consumer. I guess opening, downloading, and copying firmware to root folder on formatted sd card is kids stuff. I do not know what ANY of that is, or have ANY interest in learning. I want my k7 to work in 1.11 version - nothing more.

I really think every camera manufacture should offer a service to allow consumerrs to send in & get updated firmware on memory card. the idea I know or even want to know how to do this is beyond frustrating. Or make this process 100% easier b/c the current solotion is FAR beyond my abilites & I would gander many others. It isnt a common skill set no mater how easy it might seem to those who can do this.

If B&H cant help the next step is to mail my sd card to pentax forum member willing to do this for me. From hawaii no less. FUN!!!!

01-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The BIN file can only be read by the camera. Simply place it on your SD card and then proceed with the update as described in the instructions: Pentax K 5/K r/645D Firmware Updates Officially Released - Pentax News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by oahutodd Quote
Apparently I am super dinosaur consumer. I guess opening, downloading, and copying firmware to root folder on formatted sd card is kids stuff. I do not know what ANY of that is, or have ANY interest in learning. I want my k7 to work in 1.11 version - nothing more.
If you follow the instructions exactly, you don't need to know anything except what a root directory is and how to get there.

And if you don't know or want to learn the basics, I'm not sure how far you will get using your camera. You will be copying files onto the computer, and no doubt moving them around. And most, if not all, images will benefit from some amount of retouching ("PP") so you will want to know something about that, too.

Welcome to digital photography :-)

I doubt any reseller will want to open themselves up to liability of killing your camera, plus it's easy to do yourself.
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
I think I was able to complete the k7 1.11 firmware update to sd card by doing a 'drag & drop', bin file to sd card. I dragged file # fwdc204.bin from desktop, where I saved it - to formatted sd card in card reader (shown as drive H).

When I now open the sd card it simply shows fwdc204.BIN file (10,752KB) nothing else.

How did I do? Correct winner! or no cookie for me?

I noticed you can format sd card in both computer card reader, or in k7 camera. Would formatting sd card in k7 be preferred rather than using my computer, or no difference?

Thanks in advance for any help! I think i did the update correctly - because everything worked as per pentax usa instructions - but I want to be sure before I actually insert this sd into my new k7 and kill it rather than expand/improve its functions. Does it at least sound like I did it right?

01-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know that file named "README.TXT" that you mentioned before? I very strongly recommend that you open it and read though all of it. Who knows, the information in there just might actually be the instructions as to how to perform a firmware update...

QuoteOriginally posted by oahutodd Quote
When I now open the sd card it simply shows fwdc204.BIN file (10,752KB) nothing else.

How did I do? Correct winner! or no cookie for me?
That would mean you have copied the fwdc204.BIN to the root directory of your SD card. Congratulations, you have now completed step 1 of the updating procedure, as written in the README.TXT file. But, until you have completed step 8, you have not actually updated the firmware.

Last edited by pop4; 01-27-2011 at 03:42 AM.
01-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
You know that file named "README.TXT" that you mentioned before? I very strongly recommend that you open it and read though all of it. Who knows, the information in there just might actually be the instructions as to how to perform a firmware update...
Ive already printed, read, and fully understand the readme.txt is in fact the 'instructions'. Ive only completed the file to root on sd b/c my k7 is being delivered on monday 1.30.11 (not here yet). The only item in 1.11 k7 firmware update I didnt understand or couldnt accomplish is done now. The rest of the instructions I can complete once I have the k7 in hand.

For what it is worth I can find my way around a dslr menu/functions just fine. Ive never written exe file to root on sd card or seen it done. That is the part I had to figure out on my own despite having line by line instructions.

So I guess formatting the card either on comp or k7 doesnt matter?
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you formatted your card, and copied the BIN file to it, you are good to go. When you get your K7, FULLY CHARGE THE BATTERY, put the battery In the camera along with the card. While holding down the Menu button, turn the camera on and release the menu button. If you did everything right you'll be prompted for Yes or No to update the firmware. It should show the currently installed version as well as the version you want to update To. Once you select YES, Put the camera down and DO NOT TOUCH IT until you see the word Completed on the rear screen and the little Red Light is flashing. Turn the camera off at that point, reformat the card, either in the computer or in the camera (under the Service menu options), and go take some pictures.

Enjoy your new K7. It's a fine machine.