Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I also have no doubt this is frustrating, but even the link the OP posted at the top is to pentax item #14664 - a quick google search or look at pentax's website would confirm this item number is for the standard k-r 2 lens kit. While BH is wrong with their posting, I am sure they'll make it right by refunding the charge and paying the return shipping. That is all I would expect from a retailer in this situation to be honest.
Pentax doesn't list the contents of the various kits on their site that I could find:

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

02-03-2011, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think, given the error in the photograph and listing, it's reasonable to ask them to pay for return shipping. Beyond that, I think you're being unreasonable.

If you insist, sure, they may have lost a customer, but the value of a customer who isn't willing to be reasonable is questionable in the first place.
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H will most definitely cover return shipping. Let's wait to hear from them tomorrow- I'm sure they'll clear up the confusion!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Satisfied with resolution

B&H priced matched the other dealer to the tune of almost $70 in store credit. I am satisfied with the result, and will recommend B&H to other.

Thanks!

02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #20
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
B&H priced matched the other dealer to the tune of almost $70 in store credit. I am satisfied with the result, and will recommend B&H to other.
Thanks!
I am sorry for the initial disappointment. I have submitted an error report to our web content and image teams to correct our listing. I am pleased to see this has been resolved to your satisfaction.
02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nice!

Keep in mind though, that price-matched orders don't let you get free marketplace access as B&H doesn't give us a cut. They're therefore not handled by Chuck here on the forum. See the link in my signature for details.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #22
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice!
Keep in mind though, that price-matched orders don't let you get free marketplace access as B&H doesn't give us a cut. They're therefore not handled by Chuck here on the forum. See the link in my signature for details.
Since this particular transaction was price-matched after the purchase it should not affect this site's participation in the initial purchase. That said I do not know if the OP originated this purchase via the site and do not know if the site benefited from the original purchase. BTW, both Adam and I have links from this site to the B&H site which include the code needed to credit this site with a transaction. We're happy to be here and glad to be able to support the site.

02-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Henry, Can you e-mail me?

I was told I would receive a gift certificate by e-mail from B&H, but it has not arrived in the last 3 hours or so. I am happy with the resolution, but only of the manager I spoke to follows through!
02-04-2011, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

It's good that it seems everything will be worked out here, but I have to say that the OP has unreasonable expectations. If BH had said, "Sorry, we screwed up the listing for that. We'll pay for return shipping and refund your money," they would have fulfilled their obligation. At that point, they wouldn't have been screwing you over in any way. You may have been disappointed, but they don't owe you anything beyond an apology and your money back. It's not a game, where customers get to try to catch retailers in a mistake to get better deals.
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
It's good that it seems everything will be worked out here, but I have to say that the OP has unreasonable expectations. If BH had said, "Sorry, we screwed up the listing for that. We'll pay for return shipping and refund your money," they would have fulfilled their obligation. At that point, they wouldn't have been screwing you over in any way.

I totally agree. That B&H went beyond that in trying to resolve this situation just proves why so many of us here put our faith in them.
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's good that it seems everything will be worked out here, but I have to say that the OP has unreasonable expectations. If BH had said, "Sorry, we screwed up the listing for that. We'll pay for return shipping and refund your money," they would have fulfilled their obligation. At that point, they wouldn't have been screwing you over in any way. You may have been disappointed, but they don't owe you anything beyond an apology and your money back. It's not a game, where customers get to try to catch retailers in a mistake to get better deals.
With all due respect, B&H price matches, and that is what they have done here... just 1 week after the fact. I don't feel the resolution was unreasonable.
02-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of the law in the USA but I do know that the law in the UK used to be (it may have changed to fall in line with EU law whatever that is) that if you advertise an object for sale at a particular price then you are obligated to sell it at that price.

This is fair enough because otherwise the retailer could clearly be open to the charge of switch selling (bait & switch). I'm not suggesting for one moment that is the case with B&H - a retailer who I have heard nothing but good things about.

I agree with the OP - if you clearly advertise (and then verbally confirm the price and contents) then the retailer should be legally obligated to supply the package they have agreed to.

Gnatzee - game ? The OP put his money down, that hardly seems like a game that he was playing to try to catch out a retailer.
02-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm not aware of the law in the USA but I do know that the law in the UK used to be (it may have changed to fall in line with EU law whatever that is) that if you advertise an object for sale at a particular price then you are obligated to sell it at that price.

This is fair enough because otherwise the retailer could clearly be open to the charge of switch selling (bait & switch). I'm not suggesting for one moment that is the case with B&H - a retailer who I have heard nothing but good things about.

I agree with the OP - if you clearly advertise (and then verbally confirm the price and contents) then the retailer should be legally obligated to supply the package they have agreed to.

Gnatzee - game ? The OP put his money down, that hardly seems like a game that he was playing to try to catch out a retailer.
Thanks for the comments. The rest of the poster's on this thread seem to think I am crazy. I was LIVID yesterday, but after sleeping on it, I realized a price match would make me happy, since what really bothered me was the fact that I would have purchased from the other retailer if I had not thought I was getting a better lens. Most people seem to think I shouldn't have asked for that, which I don't understand in the least.

B&H has still not sent the gift certificate through e-mail... I will confirm back here when they do so we can close the thread as resolved.

-Kevin
02-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

This is only relevant if the retailer doesn't admit mistake or otherwise make it right. In this case, it sounds like BH immediately offered to pay the shipping and take the product back. They're already paying for their mistake by ponying up the extra shipping and losing a sale. Mistakes happen, and it's unreasonable to expect them to compensate more than this when they are clearly operating in good faith.

Pricing mistakes are often treated this way, even on this forum. Someone sees an unbelievable price that one can surmise is a typo, others jump on it and hope the company will not realize the mistake before shipping the product. I don't think the OP was operating this way from the outset, and I don't blame him/her for being upset at the inconvenience of not getting what was expected. However, once BH clarified that they screwed up and offered to rectify it, the continuing anger and expectation that they give out a discounted lens anyway is what I find unreasonable.
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
Thanks for the comments. The rest of the poster's on this thread seem to think I am crazy. I was LIVID yesterday, but after sleeping on it, I realized a price match would make me happy, since what really bothered me was the fact that I would have purchased from the other retailer if I had not thought I was getting a better lens. Most people seem to think I shouldn't have asked for that, which I don't understand in the least.

B&H has still not sent the gift certificate through e-mail... I will confirm back here when they do so we can close the thread as resolved.

-Kevin
I don't think you're crazy. I think a price match is a reasonable outcome. It was your comments before that suggested you thought BH owed you more than this that I found unreasonable.