Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by Frogfish*
I'm not aware of the law in the USA but I do know that the law in the UK used to be (it may have changed to fall in line with EU law whatever that is) that if you advertise an object for sale at a particular price then you are obligated to sell it at that price.

This is fair enough because otherwise the retailer could clearly be open to the charge of switch selling (bait & switch). I'm not suggesting for one moment that is the case with B&H - a retailer who I have heard nothing but good things about.
QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
This is only relevant if the retailer doesn't admit mistake or otherwise make it right. In this case, it sounds like BH immediately offered to pay the shipping and take the product back. They're already paying for their mistake by ponying up the extra shipping and losing a sale. Mistakes happen, and it's unreasonable to expect them to compensate more than this when they are clearly operating in good faith
I can't agree with that at all .. and in fact in the UK this was definitely not the case (I've now been expat for a long time so it may have changed). Otherwise what you are describing is exactly a tactic that matches the description of 'Bait & Switch', Out of stock, mis-print, mistake, whatever you want to call it, all excuses for not delivering on the content of their ad. In many realms of life (not just retail advertising) as far as the law is concerned, being ignorant of the law, or making a mistake or causing an accident, doesn't absolve you from full responsibility.

These companies make thousands, often hundreds of thousands, of dollars from these adverts, they have a (legal) responsibility to make sure they are accurate.

Again I am in no way referring to B&H with the first sentence above.

02-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #32
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,915
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm not aware of the law in the USA but I do know that the law in the UK used to be (it may have changed to fall in line with EU law whatever that is) that if you advertise an object for sale at a particular price then you are obligated to sell it at that price.
I completely agree. As a retailer myself, I've learned the hard way that special attention should be given to product adds and pricing. Sometimes you or one of your employees slips up, and you take a bit of a loss, but you learn to be more vigilant in future.
02-05-2011, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,238
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I completely agree. As a retailer myself, I've learned the hard way that special attention should be given to product adds and pricing. Sometimes you or one of your employees slips up, and you take a bit of a loss, but you learn to be more vigilant in future.
Sorry, but I'm on B&H's side here. With the number of ads (not adds BTW, since it's advertise not addvertise) they do, including internet and printed there are some slip ups bound to occur. If it was done intentionally, I would agree 100% but that does not appear to the be the case here.
02-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #34
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,915
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
(not adds BTW, since it's advertise not addvertise)
Thanks for the spelling lesson to a non English speaker, I really do appreciate it! Always willing to learn something new. It seems that even here at the southern tip of Africa, the customers have more rights than in the US. I am sorry for you

02-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,238
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Thanks for the spelling lesson to a non English speaker, I really do appreciate it! Always willing to learn something new. It seems that even here at the southern tip of Africa, the customers have more rights than in the US. I am sorry for you
Interesting. Despite having 11 official languages, I thought the majority of the people of S.A. spoke English. My bad.

As for feeling sorry for us, don't. Mistakes happen and we must learn to forgive those who make them as we would have them forgive ours. I would much rather forgive a retailer for making an honest mistake than penalize him and possible cause someone their job - again for an honest mistake. As I stated, intentional 'mistakes' are another issue.
02-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #36
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,915
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Interesting. Despite having 11 official languages, I thought the majority of the people of S.A. spoke English. My bad.
No problem, only one of the official languages is English, meaning for more than 99% of the population English is their second language Languages of South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have never had any problem with somebody correcting my English, as I know it is the world language, and would like to use it properly.
If at all possible, you should try to visit South Africa, it really is a beautiful country.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Mistakes happen and we must learn to forgive those who make them as we would have them forgive ours. I would much rather forgive a retailer for making an honest mistake than penalize him and possible cause someone their job - again for an honest mistake. As I stated, intentional 'mistakes' are another issue.
As I said, I am a retailer and it would have been nice if this was my reality
02-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,238
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
No problem, only one of the official languages is English, meaning for more than 99% of the population English is their second language Languages of South Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have never had any problem with somebody correcting my English, as I know it is the world language, and would like to use it properly.
If at all possible, you should try to visit South Africa, it really is a beautiful country.

As I said, I am a retailer and it would have been nice if this was my reality
I would love to visit all of Africa! Well, maybe not Egypt right now...
02-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #38
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangor, ME
Posts: 90
Original Poster
Just for the record, B&H still hasn't sent the certificate.

02-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,238
QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
Just for the record, B&H still hasn't sent the certificate.
I think they close early Fridays and all day Saturday as part of their religion. Maybe you'll get it tomorrow??
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #40
Senior Member
Capslock118's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Haven, CT
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 173
The link you provided has a description that clearly states:

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 DA-L and 55-300mm DA-L Zoom Lenses (Black) is that lightweight, mid-range 12.4MP digital SLR camera with two zoom lenses that also shoots dazzling 720p HD video that you've been looking for.
While the specification says otherwise. Common sense would tell anyone that there is a typo somewhere on the page, either on the description side or the spec side. The photo, which you also link to and is on that page shows a 55-300mm clearly saying DA L. You even show the picture in your post - it's staring right at you!

It's obvious there's a typo; it took me not 30 seconds to catch it.

I generally don't defend companies, but I find your sense of entitlement distasteful.
02-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member
gnaztee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cornelius, OR
Posts: 752
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
as far as the law is concerned, being ignorant of the law, or making a mistake or causing an accident, doesn't absolve you from full responsibility.
Correct, and from what the OP told us, B&H took full responsibility by offering full refund and reimbursement for costs associated with returning the package!

How is that not taking responsibility?
02-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #42
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangor, ME
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
The link you provided has a description that clearly states:



While the specification says otherwise. Common sense would tell anyone that there is a typo somewhere on the page, either on the description side or the spec side. The photo, which you also link to and is on that page shows a 55-300mm clearly saying DA L. You even show the picture in your post - it's staring right at you!

It's obvious there's a typo; it took me not 30 seconds to catch it.

I generally don't defend companies, but I find your sense of entitlement distasteful.
The second photo I posted was from another retailer, not B&H. The B&H product photo was of the DA Lens (It's staring you right in the face if you read the OP).

Facts:
1. The specification and the Product photo clearly indicated the DA lens
2. I called ahead to verify
3. Someone on this page (and obviously me) have alerted them to the mistake, it is certainly possible they already updated the description
4. The resolution (which I am satisfied with) is to price match another retailer (a reputable one)


I am done defending my character here.

-K
02-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #43
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,124
QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I am done defending my character here.
-K
That's fine, but don't forget to post the final outcome when you (not if you or if you are entitled to) receive the certificate.

P.S. I've been doing business with B&H for years (30 or so) and I have no doubt that it was a mistake and that they will make you happy.
02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #44
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangor, ME
Posts: 90
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
That's fine, but don't forget to post the final outcome when you (not if you or if you are entitled to) receive the certificate.

P.S. I've been doing business with B&H for years (30 or so) and I have no doubt that it was a mistake and that they will make you happy.
I will reply if/when I receive the price match certificate.
02-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #45
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,144
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
P.S. I've been doing business with B&H for years (30 or so) and I have no doubt that it was a mistake and that they will make you happy.
Same here. The fact that the OP posted this: "I have been researching buying a dSLR for over 5 years"...tells me that he's fairly new to buying camera gear online. I used to be like that. I would take the latest issue of Popular Photography and Modern Photography, pour over the ads in the back, and make charts that showed the lowest to highest prices for the item I was after, making notes of any additional taxes or shipping charges I'd have to pay. Then, I'd start at the lowest price and start trying to place my order. (This was way before the internet, btw) Most times, the item wasn't in stock and they didn't know when they'd get more...or the price of the yen vs the dollar had changed so the price was no longer good...or they'd confirm the price, confirm the item was in stock, then never ship...claiming that the items they had in stock had gotten sold in the period between my phone call and when they received my order. In short, I learned the hard way why B&H was a bit higher than other places who advertised. When I'd call B&H, they'd say, "Yeah...it's in stock." When I'd try to confirm the price, they'd say, "Where did you get that price?" When I'd say it was the current issue of Popular or Modern Photography, they'd say, "Well...that's what the price is!" Boom....3 days later, the item would be on my doorstep...as advertised and at the price quoted. About 15 years after learning this lesson, I tried ordering a big-ticket item from another vendor. As I should have known, I got burned again. Since then, I don't even check any other vendor's prices. It's not worth the time nor the headache. For what it's worth, my experience is also the experience of the majority of folks in my camera club, as well as that of the professional videographers I've worked with. EVERYONE uses B&H. So...to the OP...if you're unhappy with B&H's service...you're REALLY not going to like what else is out there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
55-300mm, da, k-r, kit, lens, pentax, price, product, return, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disappointed with Aperture 3 harmonica2 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 15 05-26-2010 09:04 PM
Really disappointed with KEH ChipB General Talk 7 05-10-2010 06:44 AM
disappointed in Adorama kiwao General Talk 16 03-03-2010 04:59 PM
Disappointed by the K7 dcreed Photographic Technique 45 05-26-2009 06:55 PM
disappointed nathancombs General Talk 16 05-24-2008 05:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top