Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #46
B&H Photo Representative

Our site's disclaimer says, "Prices, specifications, and images are subject to change without notice. Not responsible for typographical or illustrative errors." While I understand this does not dilute the OP's original dissatisfaction the fact is it's entirely legal and covers exactly this sort of situation.

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I will reply if/when I receive the price match certificate.
I will be happy to follow up on this here on Monday. We're closed early Fridays and all day every Saturday and on Sundays (when I'm home) I don't have access to our database. We said we'd issue a credit for the difference and we have or will.

02-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
if you're unhappy with B&H's service...you're REALLY not going to like what else is out there.
I'll agree. My history with B&H goes back to my high school days and their store on 17th Street. (Advantage of living in NYC area). If you wanted the best service and the best prices you went to B&H (like their ads say) (or their competitor on 18th Street to remain unidentified in an "Ask B&H" forum)
02-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #48
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's great having official B&H representation in the forum. Thanks for your input Henry.
02-06-2011, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

B&H is a terrific reseller and did the right thing here, for what it's worth.

Having said that, in case you don't know, Pentax is one of those lines resellers have little knowledge of - even if they sell the gear. B&H, in my experience for the most part, isn't an exception. Could they do a better job informing and training their associates on Pentax stuff? Sure, there is always room for improvement. The real blame, IMO, is how Pentax USA dropped the ball on reseller support. Every current and former Pentax reseller I've visited over the past couple of years sings the same song: Pentax reseller support is among the worst of all manufacturers.

Sorry for getting a little off-topic here. OP, relax and you will get your certificate. B&H is a stand-up company. If there ever was a company that abides by the "the customer is always right" adage it's B&H. Even if some customers are a little bit eccentric and unreasonable. Having been in retail at one point, I can certainly attest to that!

Last edited by krebsy75; 02-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.
02-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #50
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's great having official B&H representation in the forum. Thanks for your input Henry.
Thanks. Actually you have two and Chuck is busier here than I am.

I will reply if/when I receive the price match certificate.
Emailed to you Feb 7, 2011 at 9:30am EST.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
In reading all the information posted here, it appears that the only thing wrong, in all of this was the photo used of the KIT for sale. Not the written description, not the product code, etc...
Not to defend the OP particularly but our description of the lenses did list one as DA and one as DAL also. We regret this error.

UPDATE:
I have received email confirmation from mp29k that he has in fact received the promised electronic gift card.

Last edited by henryp; 02-07-2011 at 08:38 AM.
02-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #51
Pentaxian

I have watched this thread with interest, but have not seen one specific comment that needs to be made.

Not to bash the OP for his actions, BUT...

In reading all the information posted here, it appears that the only thing wrong, in all of this was the photo used of the KIT for sale. Not the written description, not the product code, etc...

WHile I understand the OP wanted to get a different and better lens than what he received, and while he apparently did attempt to get clarification regarding the photo, there is a principle in contract law that also protects people from being taken advantage of due to known errors. The OP knew or should have known that the photo here was in error, based upo the product description and product code. The OP needs to take some responsibility here as well.

This is not a case of bait and switch, and I know full well how that works. This is an error, plain and simple. B&H have behaved properly in their response to it IMO
02-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have received the promised price match, and am satisfied with the resolution. Thanks for all the comments, and I will recommend B&H in the future for their handling of the issue.

Thanks, -K
02-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not to bash the OP for his actions, BUT...

The "Specifications" page also had the lens listed as the DA 55-300mm.

I however, accept it was a mistake, and B&H price matched another retailer with B&H store credit, which I am satisfied with.

02-08-2011, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #54
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I'm not aware of the law in the USA but I do know that the law in the UK used to be (it may have changed to fall in line with EU law whatever that is) that if you advertise an object for sale at a particular price then you are obligated to sell it at that price.
Actually, the law in the UK since at least the 1950s has been that when a retailer displays a product for sale, legally it is giving you 'an invitation to treat', which means it is inviting you to make an offer to buy.
The retailer can refuse that offer if it decides that it doesn't want to sell you the goods.

While it is against EU law for a trader to deliberately give misleading or wrong prices, if the price of a product is just simply wrongly labelled you don't automatically get to buy it for that price. For example, if a TV worth 599 has accidentally been labelled as 5.99 you don't, unfortunately, have a right to buy it for 5.99.
02-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
the law in the UK
To HELEN
Thank you for making a valid comment and clarification to this thread.
And thank you especially for just making a contribution and not using this
thread for your own advantage. That says a lot about you and your company
and I hope others will note this professionalism on your part. Thanks again.
02-09-2011, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #56
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote

To HELEN
Thank you for making a valid comment and clarification to this thread.
And thank you especially for just making a contribution and not using this
thread for your own advantage. That says a lot about you and your company
and I hope others will note this professionalism on your part. Thanks again.

I decided not to pursue my law degree in the UK, but that phrase stuck in my head!

There's also a difference, in the US at least, between the laws relating to Internet advertising and ads in stores, magazines, newspapers etc. For example, a retailer has some degree of protection if a customer could reasonably have been expected to be aware that there was a mistake as to the published price of an item, prior to placing an order.

With the thousands of items available on a Web site, (as I know only too well ), pricing errors can occasionally occur; B&H are a stand-up company with nothing to gain by not being honest and customer-focussed.
02-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #57
Ira
Inactive Account

I don't like that option... Then I am out a camera for up to 10 days, I get a worse deal, possible a worse copy of the body or lens (18-55), and I don't get what they advertised.

In addition, B&H LOSES A CUSTOMER. It makes no sense for them to do that when there is a simple resolution to the problem. Send me what I ordered, or give me back some money to make up the difference. I would even take a credit to their store so I would be spending it right back at their site.
No offense, but I don't know what world you live in:

A retailer is not responsible for a typographical error, regardless of some advice here that's getting you ready to play Perry Mason. And this retailer is not known for any kind of bait and switch or deceptive advertising practices.

A mistake happened, and here you are, screaming for "satisfaction," and you want something for nothing. You want to be "paid" because of an honest error.

No sympathy here. And if you choose to not buy from B&H any longer, I'll give you a list of 20 other retailers that you're gonna just LOVE to do business with.

You might not get your order for a few months, but I'm sure you'll love them.
02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #58
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
While it is against EU law for a trader to deliberately give misleading or wrong prices, if the price of a product is just simply wrongly labelled you don't automatically get to buy it for that price. For example, if a TV worth 599 has accidentally been labelled as 5.99 you don't, unfortunately, have a right to buy it for 5.99.
Laws in the USA are similar, or seem so to me (remembering I am not a lawyer). The doctrine of Mutual and Unilateral Mistake comes into play.

BTW - Thanks, Helen. As classy as ever.
03-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #59
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice!

Keep in mind though, that price-matched orders don't let you get free marketplace access as B&H doesn't give us a cut. They're therefore not handled by Chuck here on the forum. See the link in my signature for details.
Does B&H give discOunts if following the link? Or what exactly is the Purpose just site credit?
03-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #60
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by ChallengedOne Quote
Does B&H give discOunts if following the link? Or what exactly is the Purpose just site credit?
When you follow the site link or the one in my sig from here to our site and place an order, this site benefits. The purpose is financial support for this resource.