Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Very disappointed with B&H

Hi,
I wanted to express dissatisfaction with a recent transaction with B&H.

I ordered the K-r kit with 2 lenses 18-55mm and 55-300mm from the following link:

Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-300mm 14664

The the specification (and product photo) clearly indicate that the bundled 55-300mm lens is the DA version, not the DAL version. There are definite differences in those 2 lenses. The DAL is the cheaper, plastic mount version that also doesn't have quickshift feature (something I really want, especially considering the K-r focusing issues). Also, the DA version comes with a bag, and a hood (a $30+ accessory).

I called ahead to confirm that the kit included the DA, and not the DAL version of the lens, and the sales representative verified that the specification was accurate.

See the following picture posted on your site:

It is fair to say I paid a premium to purchase though B&H (I won't mention specific prices, as I believe this is a violation of the terms of the site), but the price difference between other retailers was the better part of $100 more. I expected that this price difference was related to the fact that B&H was bundling the more expensive, higher quality, more feature filled lens.

See the product photo from another reputable retailer that led me to believe that the difference in price was related to the inclusion of the better lens:

Note the clearly plastic mount, and the lack of focus distance gradiations on the top of the lens. I would have expected to get the DAL, plastic mount version of the lens had I ordered from here.

Needless to say, when I called in, the customer service representative would not allow me to trade in the DAL, for the DA version I believed I was getting. Additionally, they would not allow me to return the 2 lens kit, and provide me with the 18-55 only kit plus the retail DA version of the lens for the same price. To add insult to injury, when I asked to speak to a manager, I held for about 20 minutes, conveniently until after 6:00, which when I received the managers voice mail, I realized is the time customer service closed.

I could care less if it was pentax mistake in the product photo and specification, whether pentax changed the kit contents, or whether it was an innocent mistake on B&H part. I paid a premium for a particular product, as advertised, and verified, and didn't get it.

I had lots of feedback that B&H was the best camera retailer on the web, and that they had a great return policy, and treated their customers right. I have been researching buying a dSLR for over 5 years, holding out till my point and shoot gave out. When I finally pull the trigger to buy (and I would have been a repeat customer) I feel as though I made a mistake by going with the most reputable seller online.

This isn't right, and I would like some help to resolve it. I propose one of the following solutions.

1. Allow me to send in the DAL 55-300 alone, and send me a new retail copy of the DA 55-300mm
2. I can return the whole kit, and you could send me the K-r kit with 18-55mm, and a retail version of the DA 5-300mm

Please contact me by PM, or e-mail to resolve.

Frustrated new Pentax, and B&H buyer,
Kevin

02-03-2011, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure it's just an error on the webpage- it should say DA L for both lenses, even though as it is right now it's pretty clear that the DA version is bundled. BH will probably refund you if you'd like, due to the typo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
If I wanted a refund, I would just send it back. I think they should make right with what they advertised, and confirmed on the phone.

I am very happy with the camera. It is amazing. I don't want to have to send it back. I would be happy with one of the options above, or gave me a $100 gift certificate (about the difference between them and the other retailer) to spend at their store to make up for the mistake. We'll see what happens I guess!
02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The non-DA L lens is worth $350, so the numbers wouldn't add up for the kit

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The non-DA L lens is worth $350, so the numbers wouldn't add up for the kit
Doesn't matter. They advertised it & even confirmed it. Time for them to man up!

In some states it's required by law.
02-03-2011, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a simple error they will fix. The photo is wrong, and the lens in not described in detail. You should contact them through their CS, and not the forum.
02-03-2011, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's a simple error they will fix. The photo is wrong, and the lens in not described in detail. You should contact them through their CS, and not the forum.
I agree. I would not say that it is wrong to flame a dealer on a "bait and switch", but B&H is usually very good about accepting returns for items that were not as presented or of the expected quality. In my case (a tripod), they even paid for the return shipping. They are probably the most reputable online camera dealer on the planet.

As for expecting them to sell you the camera and lens bundle as pictured in the ad for the low price...Get real. Hardly a day goes by where retailers don't post notices on their doors indicating misprints in newspaper fliers and their regrets in not being able to honor the advertised price.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-03-2011 at 09:43 PM.
02-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
I think they should make right with what they advertised, and confirmed on the phone.
That is why it is always good to get the confirmation in writing. At least that is how we usually did it in the old days of mail order. Printed ad followed by letter for price confirmation followed by letter of confirmation from the dealer followed by order with copies of all paperwork attached followed by shipment and the end of a pleasant transaction. Nothing was ever done over the phone unless you were willing be the proud owner of gray market bodies or off-brand bundled lenses.

Steve
02-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Not living in the USA (and with very high importation taxes here) I'm hardly likely to ever buy from them so have no axe to grind at all, however surely on a purely legal standing, even if the cost of the package doesn't add up and even if it was simply an error in advertising (almost certainly) - that still doesn't negate the buyer's rights (and I would expect these to be even more stringently protected in the USA than many other countries). So it would seem B&H are legally responsible to rectify the problem.
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree. I would not say that it is wrong to flame a dealer on a "bait and switch", but B&H is usually very good about accepting returns for items that were not as presented or of the expected quality. In my case (a tripod), they even paid for the return shipping. They are probably the most reputable online camera dealer on the planet.

As for expecting them to sell you the camera and lens bundle as pictured in the ad for the low price...Get real. Hardly a day goes by when retailers post notices on their door indicating misprints in newspaper fliers and their regrets in not being able to honor the advertised price.

Steve
But it IS in writing, not just the picture. It lists it under the specifications on the bundle:

Optics
Lens :
DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8

Also, I did call customer service first, they transferred me to a manager after I held for 20 minutes, and instead of warm transferring, he cold transferred me to an answering machine... not impressed.

I don't know why you don't expect them to honor the bundle they clearly are selling.
02-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The photo is wrong, and the lens in not described in detail.
The specification for the item clearly lists the 18-55 as the DA-L version and the 55-300 as the DA version.

While you and I (and the buyer) all know that Pentax does not provide this bundle, I can understand the buyer's consternation and disappointment at not getting the dynamite deal he was expecting.

There is a link at the bottom of the Web page linked above to report inaccuracies. I have reported the error and with any luck B&H will edit the ad.

Steve
02-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mp29k Quote
But it IS in writing, not just the picture. It lists it under the specifications on the bundle:

Optics
Lens :
DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8

Also, I did call customer service first, they transferred me to a manager after I held for 20 minutes, and instead of warm transferring, he cold transferred me to an answering machine... not impressed.

I don't know why you don't expect them to honor the bundle they clearly are selling.
I understand your issue and disappointment. If they offer full refund including shipping costs both ways, I would simply send it back and buy what you want from a different dealer. It may cost more than the erroneous listing at B&H, but then again, paying what something is worth is generally the expectation in the retail sphere.

As mentioned in another comment above, you may have specific legal remedies, but I doubt you will have to use them. B&H runs a highly ethical business and while they are unlikely to sell at below cost, they are reliable to make sure that you are not out money because of their mistake.

Steve
02-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
The specification for the item clearly lists the 18-55 as the DA-L version and the 55-300 as the DA version.

While you and I (and the buyer) all know that Pentax does not provide this bundle, I can understand the buyer's consternation and disappointment at not getting the dynamite deal he was expecting.

There is a link at the bottom of the Web page linked above to report inaccuracies. I have reported the error and with any luck B&H will edit the ad.

Steve
I don't appreciate that you are suggesting I knew Pentax didn't provide that as a kit. There was nothing in the ad to indicate that I was getting bundle of 2 lenses in the same box. With the specification, the picture, and the call ahead, I thought B&H was selling a 18-55 kit, and including a DA 55-300 retail lens as part of a bundle.

I also really wish you had not reported the error until after I had this resolved. Being able to show them their error on the live site would have helped me to get what they told me I was going to receive.

-K
02-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I also have no doubt this is frustrating, but even the link the OP posted at the top is to pentax item #14664 - a quick google search or look at pentax's website would confirm this item number is for the standard k-r 2 lens kit. While BH is wrong with their posting, I am sure they'll make it right by refunding the charge and paying the return shipping. That is all I would expect from a retailer in this situation to be honest.
02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
If they offer full refund including shipping costs both ways, I would simply send it back and buy what you want from a different dealer.
Steve
I don't like that option... Then I am out a camera for up to 10 days, I get a worse deal, possible a worse copy of the body or lens (18-55), and I don't get what they advertised.

In addition, B&H LOSES A CUSTOMER. It makes no sense for them to do that when there is a simple resolution to the problem. Send me what I ordered, or give me back some money to make up the difference. I would even take a credit to their store so I would be spending it right back at their site.