Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will ORBIS flash adapter work with my KX?

"As a flash attachment, the Orbis requires a shoe mount flash and a PC cord, off-camera cord, or wireless flash trigger."

Orbis Orbis Ring Flash Diffusing Attachment ENLORB1A B&H Photo

Do i necessarily need one of these cords for it to work with my K-x? I have an off-camera cord but I do not understand it's necessity with this product.

Thanks

05-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
"As a flash attachment, the Orbis requires a shoe mount flash and a PC cord, off-camera cord, or wireless flash trigger."

Orbis Orbis Ring Flash Diffusing Attachment ENLORB1A B&H Photo

Do i necessarily need one of these cords for it to work with my K-x? I have an off-camera cord but I do not understand it's necessity with this product.

Thanks
how do you plan on triggering the flash? You either need a sync cable, ttl cable from the hotshoe or wireless trigger.
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am new to strobe photography; most of my photos are shot with available light. I occasionally use a manual flash attached at the hotshoe. I do not understand why i would need anything in addition to this for the Orbis flash attachment to work.

Could you please clarify?
05-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understand the ring flash correctly, it slips over your flash gun (not the on board flash). So the question should not be about the K-x, but 'will the orbis ring flash work with my flash gun' (such as AF-540fgz) You do have a flash, don't you?

05-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you seen images of the product you are about to purchase? Do you know how it is set up?

The arm sits around the lens, with a flash shooting upwards into the ring. The flash won't be attached to your camera in any way, unless you use a sync cable, ttl cable hotshoe adapter or wireless trigger.
05-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Have you seen images of the product you are about to purchase? Do you know how it is set up? ...
Thank you for clarifying; I now see my error.
the image i had in my head was of another attacment option i looked at, the Ray Ring Flash; which mounts to the flash directly mounted to the camera.

05-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You shouldn't need anything extra for the ray ring flash, but do note that you will need a powerful speedlight. The ring flash can eat up 3 or more stops of light. There are also imitations of this same design for much cheaper than the original, with even less efficient light output.

05-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tested the el-cheapo knockoffs in comparison to the RayFlash or Orbis? I've read reviews of the main two, but never in comparison or with the knockoffs included... could be interesting, just like wireless flash triggers.
05-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #9

Mine just arrived today. I must say I'm impressed with the quality of soft light it creates. I have a K-x as well & have been experimenting with strobes. Using the camera's on board flash to trigger my Metz 48 AF-1 off cam, it works although a bit tricky. I don't have the optional bracket to support it, so I hold the flash with the flimsy ringflash on top of it with my left hand while the lens rests thru the provided opening. I find in this awkward position, even after a short period that my right hand starts to cramp. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using a smaller body unable to give me a good grip on the camera. Otherwise, I'm happy with the results
05-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stib101 Quote
Mine just arrived today. I must say I'm impressed with the quality of soft light it creates. I have a K-x as well & have been experimenting with strobes. Using the camera's on board flash to trigger my Metz 48 AF-1 off cam, it works although a bit tricky. I don't have the optional bracket to support it, so I hold the flash with the flimsy ringflash on top of it with my left hand while the lens rests thru the provided opening. I find in this awkward position, even after a short period that my right hand starts to cramp. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using a smaller body unable to give me a good grip on the camera. Otherwise, I'm happy with the results
Thanks for your input; It seems if I do go the Orbis route that i will definitely be getting it with the optional bracket!
05-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Has anyone tested the el-cheapo knockoffs in comparison to the RayFlash or Orbis? I've read reviews of the main two, but never in comparison or with the knockoffs included... could be interesting, just like wireless flash triggers.
I too would be interested in something like this. Although I'm fairly certain I would go with either the Ray Flash or the Orbis, a good comparison between either of these and a cheapo brand would be interesting.

Last edited by TAP; 04-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.