Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
TAP's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Will ORBIS flash adapter work with my KX?

"As a flash attachment, the Orbis requires a shoe mount flash and a PC cord, off-camera cord, or wireless flash trigger."

Orbis Orbis Ring Flash Diffusing Attachment ENLORB1A B&H Photo

Do i necessarily need one of these cords for it to work with my K-x? I have an off-camera cord but I do not understand it's necessity with this product.

Thanks

05-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,920
QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
"As a flash attachment, the Orbis requires a shoe mount flash and a PC cord, off-camera cord, or wireless flash trigger."

Orbis Orbis Ring Flash Diffusing Attachment ENLORB1A B&H Photo

Do i necessarily need one of these cords for it to work with my K-x? I have an off-camera cord but I do not understand it's necessity with this product.

Thanks
how do you plan on triggering the flash? You either need a sync cable, ttl cable from the hotshoe or wireless trigger.
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
TAP
Senior Member
TAP's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Original Poster
I am new to strobe photography; most of my photos are shot with available light. I occasionally use a manual flash attached at the hotshoe. I do not understand why i would need anything in addition to this for the Orbis flash attachment to work.

Could you please clarify?
05-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian
wizofoz's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, Outer east.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,655
If I understand the ring flash correctly, it slips over your flash gun (not the on board flash). So the question should not be about the K-x, but 'will the orbis ring flash work with my flash gun' (such as AF-540fgz) You do have a flash, don't you?

05-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,920
Have you seen images of the product you are about to purchase? Do you know how it is set up?



The arm sits around the lens, with a flash shooting upwards into the ring. The flash won't be attached to your camera in any way, unless you use a sync cable, ttl cable hotshoe adapter or wireless trigger.
05-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
TAP
Senior Member
TAP's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Have you seen images of the product you are about to purchase? Do you know how it is set up? ...
Thank you for clarifying; I now see my error.
the image i had in my head was of another attacment option i looked at, the Ray Ring Flash; which mounts to the flash directly mounted to the camera.

05-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,920
You shouldn't need anything extra for the ray ring flash, but do note that you will need a powerful speedlight. The ring flash can eat up 3 or more stops of light. There are also imitations of this same design for much cheaper than the original, with even less efficient light output.
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
Has anyone tested the el-cheapo knockoffs in comparison to the RayFlash or Orbis? I've read reviews of the main two, but never in comparison or with the knockoffs included... could be interesting, just like wireless flash triggers.

05-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 18
Mine just arrived today. I must say I'm impressed with the quality of soft light it creates. I have a K-x as well & have been experimenting with strobes. Using the camera's on board flash to trigger my Metz 48 AF-1 off cam, it works although a bit tricky. I don't have the optional bracket to support it, so I hold the flash with the flimsy ringflash on top of it with my left hand while the lens rests thru the provided opening. I find in this awkward position, even after a short period that my right hand starts to cramp. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using a smaller body unable to give me a good grip on the camera. Otherwise, I'm happy with the results
05-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
TAP
Senior Member
TAP's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stib101 Quote
Mine just arrived today. I must say I'm impressed with the quality of soft light it creates. I have a K-x as well & have been experimenting with strobes. Using the camera's on board flash to trigger my Metz 48 AF-1 off cam, it works although a bit tricky. I don't have the optional bracket to support it, so I hold the flash with the flimsy ringflash on top of it with my left hand while the lens rests thru the provided opening. I find in this awkward position, even after a short period that my right hand starts to cramp. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using a smaller body unable to give me a good grip on the camera. Otherwise, I'm happy with the results
Thanks for your input; It seems if I do go the Orbis route that i will definitely be getting it with the optional bracket!
05-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
TAP
Senior Member
TAP's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 114
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Has anyone tested the el-cheapo knockoffs in comparison to the RayFlash or Orbis? I've read reviews of the main two, but never in comparison or with the knockoffs included... could be interesting, just like wireless flash triggers.
I too would be interested in something like this. Although I'm fairly certain I would go with either the Ray Flash or the Orbis, a good comparison between either of these and a cheapo brand would be interesting.

Last edited by TAP; 04-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
attachment, cord, flash, off-camera, orbis
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get AF-adapter to work with 645 adapter angus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 04-01-2011 05:53 AM
Nikon to Pentax Lens Adapter- Does it Work? seachunk2 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 05-06-2010 10:16 AM
These Nikkors work with Pentax K bodies with no adapter RolloR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 02-19-2010 10:48 PM
Will any old lens work with an adapter privateryan Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 12-14-2009 06:57 AM
Has anyone else seen this Orbis ring flash addon? Grimlock Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 6 11-26-2008 06:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top