Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
B&H has thread closed.....???

re : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/143550-pentax-guarantee-iss...al-buyers.html

Why do B&H ignore requests for straight answers re their warranty responsibilities to international customers.

You say Pentax will provide International warranty cards on request but local service centres say that those are between the customer and the original retailer to arrange service.

When we ask B&H what the arrangement is you refer us to Pentax who say they will provide international warranty cards that our local service centres say are between us and.....

Get the picture.

When we try to get straight answers B&H have the thread closed.

No doubt part of the purchase price reflects the standard 1 year warranty which no one will honour.

Nice little earner eh ?? Money for nothing.

05-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I haven't read the whole thread but what good is the warranty anyway if warranty services suck? My was-fine K-m was just screwed up by Pentax Canada and I am onto my 3rd DA14 which BF (1st one they fixed BF but cracked the glass, 2nd one they fixed BF but decentred, 3rd one is optically fine but BF). Only this time, my K-m is screwed and all lenses BF by different amount and they choose to ignore me. Nice huh? Run boy, RUN!
05-25-2011, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think you are being unfair.

I read the original thread and it seemed that it was turning more to a personal attack rather than "no straight answers".

Pentax did not "say" that the card should be given to you by the dealer. They said you should "consult" your dealer. B+H have explained the situation. I am in the UK. If I buy through a UK distributer and visit the US, I can get a card from Pentax USA which will enable me to get a repair done there under international warranty.

I think it would also apply elsewhere including Canada. If you buy from your own country, you get a full warranty. If you decide to buy from another country to save a few $, you don't.

Personally, I think that is fair especially in these days of the internet. Both Pentax and the dealers have to "protect" their market share from cheap imports or there would be no share and stores in any particular country would stop selling Pentax. Then the Pentax distributer would lose out and may have to close. It has happened in Europe.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
re : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/143550-pentax-guarantee-iss...al-buyers.html

Why do B&H ignore requests for straight answers re their warranty responsibilities to international customers.

You say Pentax will provide International warranty cards on request but local service centres say that those are between the customer and the original retailer to arrange service.

When we ask B&H what the arrangement is you refer us to Pentax who say they will provide international warranty cards that our local service centres say are between us and.....

Get the picture.

No doubt part of the purchase price reflects the standard 1 year warranty which no one will honour.

Nice little earner eh ?? Money for nothing.
05-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
I think you are being unfair.
Really ??

QuoteQuote:
I read the original thread and it seemed that it was turning more to a personal attack rather than "no straight answers".
Agreed, but just because one individual chooses to act that way should the whole thread be closed thus preventing outstanding questions being addressed....??

Surely the Mods can edit the thread to remove 'personal attacks' without closing down free and open debate..?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax did not "say" that the card should be given to you by the dealer.
Never said they did. Where did you get that idea...?

QuoteQuote:
They said you should "consult" your dealer.
First I have heard of that term.
But I guess that is what was happening in those closed threads.

QuoteQuote:
B+H have explained the situation.
No. They stated their view and got the thread closed.

QuoteQuote:
I am in the UK. If I buy through a UK distributer and visit the US, I can get a card from Pentax USA which will enable me to get a repair done there under international warranty.

I think it would also apply elsewhere including Canada. If you buy from your own country, you get a full warranty. If you decide to buy from another country to save a few $, you don't.
and aren't you the lucky one living in a such a populous market.
Some of us not a hop-skip-and-jump from Pentax Japan have one dealership servicing 4 Million souls who feel this justifies a premium price way beyond anything you would dream of paying for a Pentax in the U.K.
Not just 'a few $'

QuoteQuote:
Personally, I think that is fair especially in these days of the internet. Both Pentax and the dealers have to "protect" their market share from cheap imports or there would be no share and stores in any particular country would stop selling Pentax. Then the Pentax distributer would lose out and may have to close. It has happened in Europe.Kim
Wish it would happen here then maybe some sanity would prevail.
We could then buy internationally at market prices and get quality service.

hang on... oh dear, back to where we started.

thanks for your input, Kim.
hope I don't sound too negative, just trying for some perspective.

Last edited by bobD; 05-26-2011 at 12:19 AM.
05-26-2011, 03:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

ok.... i dont really understand anything about this...but i bought my FA 77 from B&H, and i live in Sweden.

Is there no warranty at all for me??? No basic one year waranty??? Nothing???

And where do i get the international warranty card? From Pentax USA or Pentax rep in Sweden???

Last edited by the swede; 05-26-2011 at 03:49 AM.
05-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't find the thread (it may have been removed instead of locked), but Adam made it pretty clear any negativity towards the hands that feed him (and I don't mean us, the members) would not be tolerated.
05-26-2011, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Adam made it pretty clear any negativity towards the hands that feed him
So, just to make it clear, B&H ultimately decides what may or may not be said/discussed on this forum?
05-26-2011, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Chuck is here to answer customer/product questions, not feed drama queens. He can close threads when they've run their course.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Adam, I am just trying to understand how closing a thread might help B&H. I think that you will always get some unreasonable people, and everybody knows it. Closing a thread, which I haven't even read, might seem to some people as if they have something to hide? Being in a country where there is currently a huge effort from the government to curb media freedom, I might be a bit to sensitive about such matters
05-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #10

It isn't hidden. There is a link at the top of the page. How can you hide something in plain sight

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Closing a thread, which I haven't even read, might seem to some people as if they have something to hide? Being in a country where there is currently a huge effort from the government to curb media freedom, I might be a bit to sensitive about such matters
05-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
It isn't hidden. There is a link at the top of the page. How can you hide something in plain sight Kim
Sorry, I didn't read it properly, but
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
, this has happened before, and it is not the actual thread or the original OP's problem I am interested in, but how it is dealt with
05-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #12

That is sometimes the problem the problem with such threads.

I did read the original thread and there did appear to be answers but maybe not the ones some people wanted.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sorry, I didn't read it properly,
05-26-2011, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
B&H Photo Representative

We certainly regret causing any dissatisfaction. The fact is the thread in question had become circular and, as Kim C was kind enough to note, the original question, how does one obtain an international warranty document, answered in some detail. As Adam said we are, "here to answer customer/product questions..." We enjoy being here and are grateful for the avid interest.
05-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

And, as this one is totally unproductive..................
:closed:
Closed Thread