Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Pentax 645D sales demand

I was at Calumet in Los Angeles last week and the salesperson responded to my request to see a 645D with "We do not stock it. There is no demand." He also volunteered that the Hasselblad H4D variants were outselling Mamiya/Phase 19 -1.

Samy's also reported no demand for the Pentax (also no display model) though they were experiencing great interest in the new IQ backs with less in the H4D kits.

The question: What are the numbers at B&H ?

05-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by denniswilliams Quote
I was at Calumet in Los Angeles last week and the salesperson responded to my request to see a 645D with "We do not stock it. There is no demand." He also volunteered that the Hasselblad H4D variants were outselling Mamiya/Phase 19 -1.

Samy's also reported no demand for the Pentax (also no display model) though they were experiencing great interest in the new IQ backs with less in the H4D kits.

Out of curiosity, did you ask those sales people if they could sell ice water in hell?
05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by denniswilliams Quote
While I am not at liberty to say specifically (for reasons I hope are obvious) I can say we sold (and shipped) a 645D as recently as May 29th. It was most certainly not the only one sold this month.
06-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks HP

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
While I am not at liberty to say specifically (for reasons I hope are obvious) I can say we sold (and shipped) a 645D as recently as May 29th. It was most certainly not the only one sold this month.
Thanks for the response Henry. As someone considering the five figure plunge into MF digital I was interested percentages more than unit numbers but that may be out of bounds as well.

In the L A market the argument against the 645D seems to be centered on lens availability through rentals as well as the inability to upgrade. As a P67 guy who owns most all the lenses the rental issue did not cross my mind though it is apparently a deal breaker for many pros and some enthusiasts as well.