Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Price of Pentax accessories vs. Nikon and Cannom

I have seen several instances where equipment made with multiple lens mounts is being sold for different prices. Unfortunately the Pentax version is often 10 to 20 % higher than the others. What is the reason for this? With third party lenses, I would think that non - stabalized and non - motor drive lenses would be much cheaper to build for Pentax than Cannon or Nikon. Why are they often the same price?

Sure hope the purchase by Richo turns things around for Pentax !

08-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

I am sure you understand that our retail prices closely reflect the prices we pay. That means, more often than not, any price discrepancy directly reflects price discrepancies imposed on us.

While there are lenses priced differently for different mounts, that's not always or even often the case. When it is, it may reflect that the cost to make the lens in one mount is the same as in another but that the manufacturer anticipates selling a good deal more in for instance Nikon or Canon than in Pentax. The result is the cost per lens has to be amortized across these variables.

So, a lens might cost the same in Pentax as in Canon or Nikon even if it's less expensive to build due to the maker's anticipated sales per mount. Ultimately if Pentax becomes a boutique brand, rather than a mainstream one, this situation will in all likelihood only worsen. We're as curious as you to see what Ricoh may accomplish.

Last edited by henryp; 08-18-2011 at 07:29 AM.
08-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I did not think the price issue was B&H's doing. Guess it makes sense to spread the development cost over the number sold. If Richo does not make a significant difference in the future of Pentax, I may need to rethink my 40 + years of loyalty. Over the years I have made a significant investment in the Pentax base.