Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Manufactures Restriction

Recently wanted to purchase the new Nikon 40mm f/2.8 off the Nikon site but was pissed off when a
message came up Manufactures Restriction is in place. What gives ?

Money no good ??? I am at a loss

09-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Just hazarding a guess that it might be something to do restrictions based on the loss of output from the tsunami. B&H will hopefully know more.
09-16-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Calculate Shipping & Tax:
Australian Customs & Border Protection Advisory

Due to the manufacturers restrictions, we are unable to accept orders with a shipping address in AUSTRALIA for the following item(s):

Nikon 40 mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor Lens

Please provide a different ship to location or remove these items from your cart.

Calculate Shipping & Tax:
Australian Customs & Border Protection Advisory

Due to the manufacturers restrictions, we are unable to accept orders with a shipping address in AUSTRALIA for the following item(s):

Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

Please provide a different ship to location or remove these items from your cart.

Only comes when ordering Nikon lens
This is a question directed to B&H anyone has a answer

Any other brand goes through
09-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Recently wanted to purchase the new Nikon 40mm f/2.8 off the Nikon site but was pissed off when a message came up Manufactures Restriction is in place. What gives?
This is Nikon USA's rule, not ours. Nikon USA prohibits authorized US retailers from sending certain products (digital slrs and lenses at present) to any address outside the USA.

Any USA retailer willing to send a lens or digital slr to you is either sending you "grey market" merchandise or is not a Nikon USA authorized retailer, or is willing to jeopardize that status to make the sale.

09-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All my Nikon purchases was in fact through your New York store.and the future purchase came from B&H site and this was the notification on your site and not Nikon's site,my bad
09-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I seen on other US sites camera dept that ordering is no issue and postage was provided ,so what gives with B&H
09-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I seen on other US sites camera dept that ordering is no issue and postage was provided ,so what gives with B&H
As I said earlier, Any USA retailer willing to send a lens or digital slr to you is either sending you "grey market" merchandise or is not a Nikon USA authorized retailer, or is willing to jeopardize that status to make the sale.

If you see a USA retailer willing to ship Nikon dslr bodies and lenses to an address out of the USA, we'd be grateful if you'd let us know.

Last edited by henryp; 09-19-2011 at 07:30 AM.
09-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I totally understand your statement but in 2005 Australia signed a FTA with USA and Thailand and, 2007 with Japan,so what the Nikon Manufactures
states to me IMHO is Illegal.

ie I have money, I wish to spend, and I am impeded this is restriction imposed by Nikon USA

09-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

No, this isn't illegal, but it is expensive.

Many companies have official in-country partner resellers to whom they supply product at a certain cost price. It is bad for the relationship between the companies and the the partner resellers if a non-official reseller can undercut the official resellers by sourcing the product abroad at a cheaper buy price because of currency exchange or dumping.

It's the way that companies supplying to resellers operate to protect the resellers and make it impossible for the consumer to buy from anyone other than the 'official' partner. It isn't great because usually it means a price downside for the consumer. But, there are benefits as well to buying from an official partner (item warranty, staff training etc).

This isn't illegal though, and resellers like B&H don't have much of a choice if they want to remain an official partner.
09-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I somewhat understand the relationship between Resellers and The Company is tense at best,but here in Oz I simply ring the Authorize seller give them the best price plus postage and they match it and post off .
So long as there proof of stated price.Its a basic market manufacturer sells to seller and seller + % sell to consumers

Last edited by cupic; 09-20-2011 at 04:45 AM.