Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great sale... out of stock...

Ok, let me just start this by saying, i LOVE B&H. This is not a B&H Hater thread by any means. just one of those "I hate when that happens" Threads.
Currently, they have Sandisk 32GB Class 10 Ultra cards on sale for $85, for a TWO pack! Thats less than the price of one. unfortunately, as you may have guessed, they are out of stock. I tried calling, and no luck there either (thought maybe they could have not updated the site)
The annoying part is, the sale ends Sept 30th, which is in 10 days, the sales guy said "Check back in a few weeks". Well, by then the sale is gonna be long gone. No rain checks, no pre orders, just sit there and watch the sale end. And they dont know when they will be back in stock.

I guess my question is... Why advertise a great sale, if you know you dont have any in stock? Is this simply to boost site visits? Also, the strange thing is, if you search online, these use to be $114 for a 2 pack, everyone was talking about them, now they are mysteriously $85, now that they are out of stock...
Just seems silly to advertise a product for such a low price, knowing full well there are none in stock, especially if the sale ends in just over a week...

Anyways, No B&H hate, just if you could help me understand this, it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: since posting this, It seems the listing has been removed from the B&H site, any chance of honoring it for the people who saw the listing, but were unable to purchase?

Last edited by SlickYamaha; 09-20-2011 at 07:20 AM.
09-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

@SlickYamaha - I sympathize with your frustration and I'd lay odds the sales guy on the phone does too since he's probably answering this question several times a day. I don't know the details of this particular product but situations like this are sometimes the result of unanticipated demand. It could also be our expectation of more inventory from our supplier who's been delayed in delivering to us. Either way we certainly regret having disappointed you.

BTW it wouldn't hurt to mention our impending autumn holiday closing schedule.
09-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
@SlickYamaha - I sympathize with your frustration and I'd lay odds the sales guy on the phone does too since he's probably answering this question several times a day. I don't know the details of this particular product but situations like this are sometimes the result of unanticipated demand. It could also be our expectation of more inventory from our supplier who's been delayed in delivering to us. Either way we certainly regret having disappointed you.

BTW it wouldn't hurt to mention our impending autumn holiday closing schedule.
Henry, thanks for the update. At basically buy-one-get-one free 32GB cards, I can imagine the demand would be enormous.
So since you will be closed those days, does that mean the sale actually ends the 28th, rather than the listed 30th?
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, as I said above, I see this has now been removed from the site, any chance of honoring the sale for those who wanted to make the purchase? Also, can I assume the sale ends the 28 rather than the 30th since you will be closed?

09-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
So, as I said above, I see this has now been removed from the site, any chance of honoring the sale for those who wanted to make the purchase?
Much as I would love to accommodate you and everyone else who's asked me the same question, we simply cannot. I am sorry and understand this is disappointing.
09-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
Much as I would love to accommodate you and everyone else who's asked me the same question, we simply cannot. I am sorry and understand this is disappointing.
Kind of a big disappointment. I called back today, spoke with a rep who said that these cards WERE in stock, but that the price is now $117 for two. which is $32 higher than yesterday, when they were out of stock... Yet yesterday, the ad said "Offer expires Sept 30th".

I should add that when I told the rep about the $85 deal, they seemed to have never heard about it. I attempted to ask for a manager, but was just transferred to a voicemailbox.

I do love B&H, but this is rather disappointing. I will still purchase them, as it is a good price, but a rather clever way to bait and switch deal seeking customers.
09-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
I do love B&H, but this is rather disappointing. I will still purchase them, as it is a good price, but a rather clever way to bait and switch deal seeking customers.
I appreciate your disappointment but this was NOT "bait and switch." We've been in business since 1973 and our reputation for pristine ethics and unquestionable integrity is unblemished. We would certainly not stoop to this sort of shenanigans after all these years for a pair of memory cards.
09-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not trying to attack the B&H reputation, as I said I buy 80% of my camera products from b&h, and a ton of various other products for my full time job. (school electronics technician)
It simply seemed very strange and disappointing that an amazing deal was advertised, when the product was out of stock, but when the stock was replenished, the price went up, even though the ad still had 10 days left. Even more, It was interesting to follow this deal for 3 days, only to see it removed within 5 minutes of me bringing it up here. On top of that, out of the 3 people I spoke to about honoring the advertised price, only one seemed to know anything about it. But apparently you had sold "gazillions" (what I was told by that rep)
Anyway, it is what it is, I purchased the cards at the $117 price. Maybe the $86 was a typo, maybe someone made an error, whatever the case, next time I'll take a screen shot of a price that good