Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

B&H Pricing K5

Two weeks ago I visited the B&H showroom

to see the K5 and compare it to the Nikon d7000.

The gentlemen at both areas were great very helpful and the place

was fantastic it was the first time there, traveled 2 hours each way by train

to visit. The salesman I believe his name was tom informed me I was in luck the price dropped

a bit to $999.00 . I did not purchase it at that moment and I guess I should have. This past

Sunday took another trip into the city I first stopped at adorama they old me they would

match the price of B&H of $999.00 for the K5. I felt guilty that B&H spent the time with me

so I went back to purchase the camera from them. The salesman was not the same I told him

I wanted to purchase the K5 he quoted a price of $1199. I asked about the $999 he printed the internet

page handed it to me turned his back walked away and attended to someone else kind of rude. Oh

well. I did not have enough time to go back to adorama. My question is to B&H do your prices change

day to day week to week based on the market or other variables ?

Just a note I wanted to pay cash for the camera that’s part or the reason I made the trip . It looks

like I will do one more trip . 42 street photo lists the K5 for $979.00 but I know adorama is USA not sure about 42

but may also be worth looking into.

02-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

I am very sorry any aspect of your visit to us was less than ideal. Your post raises several issues. First, if you can help me ID the sales associate from your 2nd visit I'd like to share this with his sales manager so we can schedule a little extra customer-care training.

Second, I presume we're talking about a Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only). Pentax USA regs limit the price we can post online but the price I see in our sales database is $1049.00 with free non-rush shipping w/in the "lower-48" states.

Email me and I'm sure we can come to a mutually agreeable accommodation.

Third, you asked, "...do your prices change day to day week to week based on the market or other variables ?"

I got my first pro-photographer's job in the mid 1970s and I've been at B&H 15 years now. In all that time I have never seen such frequent or wide swings in product prices. I don't know if it's the internet or competition or a combination but it's ceaseless and unending and frankly exhausting.
03-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry to say B&H is the same as most photo equipment resellers that

I have encountered over years of purchaseing photo and video equipment.

Others have had very positive experences with B&H. They seem to be the better

of the bunch but in my case it was not the case . Things can go wrong I can understand

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/174464-b-h-pricing-k5.html

that people have bad days in retail give wrong info treat people in a rude manner etc.

Chuck and henry of B&H offered to make the past problem right "agreeable accommodation"

That was to honor the price of$ 999.00 for the pentax K5. I have a purchase document sent by

them to me a few weeks ago to purchase the K5 at $999.00 . Today I make another trip by train

costing me more money and time to finally walk out of there with with a new K5 . That did not happen

again sorry to say. Got up to the sales counter #32 the gentalman was very nice showed him the

document said no problem scaned it in . I proceeded wanting purchase Tamron 28-70 2.8 , pentax Flash ,

fliters , High speed memory card , extended warrentee . I look down at the screen and it shows the K5 body

at a price of $1195 . I showed him the paperwork from Chuck and Henry . He tells me the price changed.

Enough every time i go down there there price keeps changing back to $1195. I explain that this price is

an "agreeable accommodation" from Chuck and Henry. He said there would be a note in the

computer showing that . Let me speak to the store manager over comes David Katz I explain my problem

again he tryed to call Chuck he was not in . As far as he was concerned we were done . I again wasted

money on train tickets and my day. I also said to chuck or henry that i did not want to do mail order i

wanted to pay cash and would not get back down to the store right away .

All of us dont like to be jerked around and loose valuable money and time.
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronc2 Quote
I look down at the screen and it shows the K5 body at a price of $1195 . I showed him the paperwork from Chuck and Henry . He tells me the price changed.

I am sorry you're dissatisfied. We began this conversation more than a month ago and the special accommodation we offered was not open-ended. No retailer can be expected to hold a special price indefinitely, and certainly not in our industry when prices fluctuate more frequently and more widely today than at any time in my memory.

BTW this site is a B&H affiliate. If you use the link in my sig (or any other B&H link here) and go from this site to ours and place an order without interrupting your session or opening another browser window this site gets credit for the transaction. That cannot be applied retroactively and cannot be applied to store purchases.

Last edited by henryp; 03-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.