Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Price match K-3

Why do some customers get this and not others? I really need some clarification here because I feel like i've not been getting treated well in my dealings with customer service.

Two weeks ago I called in (more than once, at some inconvenience to myself) and was told B&H would not match a promotion where they included a free grip w/ the K-3, even though it occurred no more than 10 days after I purchased mine. I was told they would not match because I called outside of the deal window and it was more than likely a promotion from Ricoh for a limited time. However, as This thread shows, other customers were able to get the promotion matched outside the days it was offered. This was confusing and dismaying. In essence, there is a penalty for ordering early. What's more, this penalty was not enforced evenly and I, through no fault of mine, got the short straw.

Now, I am being told that they will not match the price of the K-3 as sold by Amazon (see attached photo- In stock now and from an authorized dealer) because to quote the email:
QuoteQuote:
I am sorry, we are not able to price match the advertisement that you sent from Amazon. I see that the item Pentax K-3 you ordered came with 3 additional items; SANDISK EXTREME SDHC CLASS 10 (45MB/S) 32GB; RUGGARD COMMANDO 36 DSLR SHOULDER BAG; PENTAX SMC-DA 50 f/1.8 TELEPHOTO LENS. I don't see that Amazon is offering those items. I apologize for the inconvenience.
I can't get the price matched because B&H included extras items on my purchase of their own volition? Are these items coming form a manufacturer's offer (as it was implied the grip was)? If so, then why can't they match the price of a competitor if the extras really came at little to no cost to themselves?

I don't see how these excuses are consistent or compatible with one another. I ordered from B&H because I've heard so many good things about them and their customer service and I've seen you help out around here quite a bit from year to year. But I need help understanding because after today my 30 days is up. I'm not trying to bust your chops, I love my K-3, but if I'm ever going to order from you all again, I need to know what I have to do on my end to either get a consistent answer or to get the same customer service others seem to get.

Attached Images

01-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #2

Original Poster
What's more, I was going to send that $$ right back to B&H with the purchase of another piece of gear.
01-15-2014, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
B&H Photo Representative

Re B&H 1027465097
We consider each price-match inquiry individually. No two are the same. We try to say, "Yes," as often as possible and regret when we cannot. It is almost always easier to say, "Yes," before a transaction than afterwards, which is the situation here.

We will match Amazon's price IF you return all the free accessories which were included with your purchase and not with their offer (Pentax SMC DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens SanDisk 32GB SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card) and agree to forfeit the 4% rewards points the K3 earned. This way, the price comparison is even and a match is possible. This of course presupposes the returned accessories are in as-new condition as described in our return policy here.

If you wish to proceed, please contact cs[at]bhphoto.com and give them your B&H transaction number. BTW, the free grip offer came from Pentax/Ricoh. Quantities were very limited. If you want, leave the transaction you already made as-is and we can sell you the grip as a one-time courtesy for $40.00 the regular price.

Last edited by henryp; 01-15-2014 at 09:18 AM.
01-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
I appreciate your efforts to assist me. I am still disappointed but feel I now have a better understanding of the situation. As you say, it would have been easier knowing these details before I said yes to you.

For what it's worth, I am left with two thoughts.
1. How can a customer tell when an item/bundle are a result of a manufacturer's promotion or from B&H themselves? Such information is important since it appears to have tangible impacts on subsequent interactions with customer service and it should not be incumbent on the customer to sort it all out on their own.
2. It's my opinion that, as for the bundle itself, what I ordered, put into my cart, and bought was a K-3 body. As a customer, that was what I am responsible for. That you threw in extra items to increase its value is not my doing but is a choice of yours that I am subject to. That is on you, not me. I tested it today and when the camera is put into the cart, there is no way to deny this bundle. One cannot edit the cart to remove these items without removing the camera itself. For something that you elected to include to determine the eligibility of my purchase for certain services is misleading more than a little unfair.

I'm not telling you this as a bargaining tactic against your offer of assistance, I'm telling you because I think, as it stands, this is doing your customers a disservice. It could save others a lot of wasted time with a more transparent process with clearly defined restrictions. I know that others on the forum have plenty of stories where B&H took care of them w/out any of the same stipulations (it's why I chose you over other offers) but it is that unevenness which I'm unable to accept.

Thank you for your time and efforts on this matter, and I am sorry we could not find a mutual understanding. I will enjoy my K-3 thoroughly but I will also take this into consideration the next time I wish to upgrade.

01-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honestly, I'd recommend just selling the 50mm on the Marketplace- it's worth more than the difference in price between the B&H and Amazon listing

But I agree that there should be a way to opt out of the free items for customers that aren't interested in them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I would like to point out for the record that as a few hours after this exchange, the BG-5 grip is once again included in the bundle. Ouch.
Attached Images

01-16-2014, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
I'm not trying to be difficult, but I would like to point out for the record that as a few hours after this exchange, the BG-5 grip is once again included in the bundle. Ouch.
Yep and I've already processed a transaction to send one to you.

01-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
Just received the email. Man that is a relief and Thank you very much. My faith is restored. I will return the favor by making B&H my first stop from here on out.