Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bad salesman, or...?

Last week I called and ordered a DA*300/4. The package that arrived yesterday contained a lens that was either a demo, used, or perhaps a refurb.

Is it normal practice for B&H to sell used merchandise as new to unwitting customers?

07-14-2014, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #2
B&H Photo Representative

Re B&H 492942310
Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. You raised two questions. The first is, "Is it normal practice for B&H to sell used merchandise as new to unwitting customers?" The answer to that is, "No. It is not. Doing so would be unethical."

The second issue is the lens you received. We record serial numbers from bar codes the manufacturer or US distributor affixes to the lens box. The serial number for your lens was ####925##1269. This lens was never previously sold and returned. It was never a demo or a refurb or used. We got it from Pentax USA and shipped it to you with no other detour between our receiving it from them and our sending it to you.

That said, we want you to be satisfied and have issued return authorization and a pre-paid UPS return label so you can send it back for exchange or refund.
08-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, I'll take your word for it that the lens was new. The lens box, as received, had a piece of scotch tape securing the locking tab closed. I have never seen this on another new lens box. Inspection of the lens after removal from the padded sleeve revealed black paint scraped off a portion of one of the lens hood mounting lugs, as if from careless mounting/removal of the hood. Pentax supplies new lenses in this condition?

I returned this lens for replacement, and another was sent with 3-day shipping. This copy appeared fine, but, the focus motor was DOA. Could rough handling by UPS during its 3,000 mile journey to me have caused the failure? Unknown, but, certainly the way it was packaged could not have been of much help. With the exception of a single piece of bubble-wrap placed over the top of the lens box, the remaining five sides were left without any cushion, as can be seen in the photo. This lens was returned, and a refund was issued.

While those handling sales at the store (probably) want the best for their customers, could the above problems be the result of shipping warehouse personnel being less than careful with other people's money?

During the past few months I have spent a (to me) considerable amount of money on photo gear with B & H. Prior to this transaction I was a happy camper, but my reluctance to order again should be an expected result.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
OK, I'll take your word for it that the lens was new.
You don't have to take my word for it. The serial number establishes it as a fact.

QuoteQuote:
I returned this lens for replacement, and another was sent with 3-day shipping. This copy appeared fine, but, the focus motor was DOA.
I am very sorry. I see return authorization has been emailed to you. We received this lens and issued a refund last week.