Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Very upset with UPS - please help!

RE: order #1033374311

(Edit: I want to preface this by saying that my shopping/checkout experience with B&H was very good; fast, no problems)

The package requires a signature so I stayed home from work today to receive it. According to the tracking info, the driver made a delivery attempt about an hour ago and somehow determined that no one is home (both cars are in the driveway!), so the package went back to their facility. I don't believe that he was really even here. The door bell did not ring, he did not knock, and nothing was left outside my door to let me know that he was here. Usually they leave a paper notice.

I called UPS and the lady also asked me if I saw a notice at the doorstep, and I said no. I explained to her that I am home today and will not be tomorrow, so they need to come back today. She said that she has no control over it and asked for my number so that the local sorting facility can call me back with "my options." I would just go there but it's not close to me. I live in the suburbs and the facility is in south Philadelphia, near the airport.

Could you kindly also get in touch with the shipper on my behalf and nudge them to deliver today? I'm so upset with the driver.

At a minimum you should know that the shipper did not meet their commitment in this case and has caused not only a delayed delivery but personal inconvenience and lost time from work. That they did not ring or knock or even leave a notice is unacceptable.

Last edited by lightbox; 04-02-2015 at 08:40 AM.
04-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Quick update:

I escalated with UPS and was able to get the delivery. It wasn't a great experience:

I asked the driver nicely if he'd been here this morning. He said yes, and then I mentioned to him that I didn't see a delivery attempt notice. He searched for an answer for a second and then told me that the wind must have taken it. I have a glass storm door-- he could have easily put it behind that, or stuck it in the mailbox. I don't believe he made the effort that was claimed. The supervisor I spoke to also said it is unusual not to receive a notice.

He also told me that next time I can use a release form to remove the signature requirement so that they can just leave the package. He said I live in a "nice area" and it "shouldn't be a problem." I'm sure he wouldn't say that if it was his camera equipment.

This is how my box arrived:

When I inquired about the damage, the answer was that it "probably came off the belts" like that.

I don't know if this guy is having a bad day or if he was just upset about having to come out or what, but that's sensitive equipment inside and lenses can go out of alignment easily.

The Pentax box was packed loosely inside a much bigger box with a couple other loose items I ordered. I would have liked to see some type of padding between the camera box and the shipping box.

The items look okay. I haven't tested them out yet. My joy about being a Pentaxian (coming from Nikon) got zapped to hell today and I think I need to step away for a bit.
04-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry for the multiple messages. This is the evidence that the items did in fact take a beating.

You can see plastic chips from the packaging stuck between the cardboard backing and the plastic shell. It probably took a little force from the camera box to do this.

I would like to ask other Pentax K-50 owners: is it normal for the camera body to make noises as you turn it around? It sounds like there is some play inside the camera chassis, as if the prism or some other component is moving around.
04-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
is it normal for the camera body to make noises as you turn it around?
Perfectly normal.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/94122-be...ntax-dslr.html

04-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you
04-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an FYI, B&H will be closed from April 3-13.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
B&H Photo Representative

I'm very sorry for the problem you had with UPS. I will be happy to share this with them and bcc you when I do. UPS says this was delivered Apr 2nd. Today is Apr 13th. I presume you've been using the equipment you received and are satisfied with all of it. Of not, contact cs@bhphoto.com for return authorization.
04-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
I'm very sorry for the problem you had with UPS. I will be happy to share this with them and bcc you when I do. UPS says this was delivered Apr 2nd. Today is Apr 13th. I presume you've been using the equipment you received and are satisfied with all of it. Of not, contact cs@bhphoto.com for return authorization.
Hi Henry,

I used it over the weekend at a family gathering and it seems okay. At least, I can't demonstrate any obvious problems with it. In all fairness to you I think I'll just need to shake the feeling and get on with enjoying the camera. Thanks for the return authorization; I hope not to need it.

I appreciate you dropping a note to the carrier. That carries a lot more weight coming from B&H.