Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

B&H doesn't price match Amazon?

Right now on Amazon the K3II is $741.12 from Amazon themselves not 3rd party. When my wife used live chat to get a price match, B&H denied the price match. What's up with that?

12-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

B&H entertains all price-match inquiries and says, "Yes," as often as we can, but we cannot do so every time. We regret when we cannot and understand your disappointment. FWIW at amzn.to/1Nef0QZ Amazon says the camera is "Sold by 6ave and Fulfilled by Amazon."
12-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
B&H entertains all price-match inquiries and says, "Yes," as often as we can, but we cannot do so every time. We regret when we cannot and understand your disappointment. FWIW at amzn.to/1Nef0QZ Amazon says the camera is "Sold by 6ave and Fulfilled by Amazon."

Hi Henry,

Here is a link to Amazon themselves (not some fly by night) selling the K3II TODAY: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WBIYADC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&ps...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It has gone "up to" $742.33, which is still better than B&H's $819.00.

Considering B&H was selling it for $749 on black Friday, I am surprised you couldn't price match, or at least offer the Black Friday price.

And now I see B&H has lowered the price today to $759.00... BUT no free shipping.

Last edited by Qwntm; 12-08-2015 at 11:33 AM.
12-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Considering B&H was selling it for $749 on black Friday, I am surprised you couldn't price match, or at least offer the Black Friday price.
I believe the lower price was supported by Pentax USA, like an instant rebate. That usually means the retailer is reimbursed something like 80% of the price difference.

12-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe the lower price was supported by Pentax USA, like an instant rebate. That usually means the retailer is reimbursed something like 80% of the price difference.

Fair enough, but Amazon is still $740.12 even today Dec 9th, 2015 with free shipping. I wonder how they are able to do it all week and B&H can't match them?
12-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Fair enough, but Amazon is still $740.12 even today Dec 9th, 2015 with free shipping. I wonder how they are able to do it all week and B&H can't match them?
A couple of reasons. One is that Amazon's entire business model is built on market share rather than short-term profit so many items are sold at or below cost. Another is that in addition to low-markup competitively priced electronics they also sell a lot of genres where they can build a larger margin into the price so a loss on a camera is offset by a profit on t-shirts, for instance. Heck -- they sell cashew nuts and ketchup. :-)
12-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A couple of reasons. One is that Amazon's entire business model is built on market share rather than short-term profit so many items are sold at or below cost. Another is that in addition to low-markup competitively priced electronics they also sell a lot of genres where they can build a larger margin into the price so a loss on a camera is offset by a profit on t-shirts, for instance. Heck -- they sell cashew nuts and ketchup. :-)

LOL! It is a rough market out there, I grant you that! Wait until they institute "drone" delivery!

Anyway, ironically, even though B&H didn't match the price, I did get the adjustment for the new lower price from B&H, no problem. In the end the camera came out being cheaper than Amazon, $729.00. I chalk it up to the insanity that is Holiday sale pricing.

Great service from B&H as always! Thank you!