Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Trip to B&H Superstore

I plan to take a trip to the B&H Superstore using AMTRAK from Wilmington DE. Wilmington is about a two hour drive from Lewes in Southern DE.

At your store I would like some advice and be able to test out two camera/lens combinations: The Pentax K1 with the Pentax 150-450 lens and the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport Lens.

I've been using Pentax for a few years and plan to buy a lens and perhaps a camera for wildlife photography. Wildlife photography now is the vast majority of where I spend my photography time since moving to the lower Delaware shore in Lewes DE.

I really enjoy my K3 with both the Sigma 4.5 and Pentax DA 300. However I need a system with much better autofocus and also a good telephoto zoom lens. My choice is to remain with Pentax and buy the 150-450 now to use with my K3 and keep my fingers crossed that the K3 follow on camera has equal or better autofocus than the new K1, assuming the K1 is adequate for my needs. Changing camera brands after many years is not that simple, especially with a fairly large number of lenses.

OR

Buy the Nikon D500 and the Sigma 150-600 Sport now for my wildlife photography and keep the rest of my Pentax gear for my other photography.

Can I just "drop in" to B&H and expect to deal with a person familiar with both the Pentax AF system and also familiar with the autofocus system of the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens? or Should I make an appointment prior to traveling to your Superstore in NYC?

I would like to get the "hands on" feel of autofocus with each system, bring some memory cards and take home some sample shots.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 07-10-2016 at 03:38 AM.
07-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Can I just "drop in" to B&H and expect to deal with a person familiar with both the Pentax AF system and also familiar with the autofocus system of the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens? or Should I make an appointment prior to traveling to your Superstore in NYC?
Thanks for coming up to visit. Keep our schedule in mind as you make your plans: Hours of operation.

We do not have a program where a visitor can make an appointment in advance to talk to one or more of our sales associates. We close early on Fridays so that day can get busy. We're closed Saturdays and Sundays are generally busiest. With that in mind you'll be happy to know that in our store's 2nd floor photo department we have various kiosks and specialty areas reserved for certain popular brands and the sales associates in each are well versed in those brands and the current models.

So, drop in. Plan to spend some time chatting. Enjoy yourself.

We're one block from Penn Station. Weather permitting, it's a nice walk. I do it twice a day since my subway stop is next to the station. While you're here, the Skylight Diner is across the street on the southwest corner of 9th Av & W 34th St. We're also a couple of blocks from Macy's and a block or two from there is the Empire State Bldg. We're also close to the Morgan Library and the excellent HighLine open-air promenade

07-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
Thanks for coming up to visit. Keep our schedule in mind as you make your plans: Hours of operation.

We do not have a program where a visitor can make an appointment in advance to talk to one or more of our sales associates. We close early on Fridays so that day can get busy. We're closed Saturdays and Sundays are generally busiest. With that in mind you'll be happy to know that in our store's 2nd floor photo department we have various kiosks and specialty areas reserved for certain popular brands and the sales associates in each are well versed in those brands and the current models.

So, drop in. Plan to spend some time chatting. Enjoy yourself.
Thanks for the reply.

Is it always possible to test the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport attached in your store. Thanks
07-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

Is it always possible to test the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport attached in your store. Thanks
I am pretty confident both are in display on the store camera department.

07-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want to use them together Henry. Traveling for 4 hours one way and paying for train, parking, gas, etc. I would need to be certain I could use see and use the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport mounted on the Nikon D500. Can this be arranged with certainty? otherwise it wouldn't make sense to make the trip.
07-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
B&H Photo Representative

I want to use them together Henry. Traveling for 4 hours one way and paying for train, parking, gas, etc. I would need to be certain I could use see and use the Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport mounted on the Nikon D500. Can this be arranged with certainty? otherwise it wouldn't make sense to make the trip.
According to the area sales manager it won't be a problem at all.
07-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Henry - good news