Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
B&H can't ship cameras with batteries to international destinations! Amazon can.

Hello

I tried to take advantage of B&H's end of year special on the K-1, but was unable to complete the transaction because
"There are currently no shipping methods available to that location due to carrier regulations regarding products containing lithium batteries. Please select a different shipping destination or remove these items from your cart."

Amazon.com has no problem shipping cameras with batteries to South Africa. I recently bought a Sony RX100III in August and Panasonic FZ2500 in September, both of which I would have bought from B&H but instead bought from Amazon. Both arrived safe and sound, shipped from the US with their batteries by DHL and UPS respectively.

I reported the problem to B&H in August, and thought it would have been solved by now.

Thanks
Graham

01-02-2018, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
B&H Photo Representative

According to https://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_US:

Lithium Metal Batteries Shipments of Lithium Metal Batteries are prohibited on Emirates Airlines flights which UPS uses to this destination country (South Africa). Alternative arrangements are in place, but expect transit delays if the normal planned flow of the package is via Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Time in Transit may be extended due to solution found.

These restrictions and expected transit delays are, in our opinion, unacceptable. We cannot tell Amazon (or any other retailer) how to conduct business nor whether or not they should conform to international shipping safety regulations. We choose to follow these regulations scrupulously.
01-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Henry

Yes, I was aware of the reason, but can I suggest B&H consider alternative couriers like DHL? That was really my question: is B&H actively working to solve this issue or should I not bother?

Graham
01-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Yes, I was aware of the reason, but can I suggest B&H consider alternative couriers like DHL? That was really my question: is B&H actively working to solve this issue or should I not bother?
Thanks for the suggestion. We already use DHL (along with UPS & FedEx) when appropriate. Our shipping manager is aware of this situation.