Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sales tax ????

When did B&H start charging sales tax?

12-13-2018, 03:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I read that B&H will charge sales tax in 22 states by the end of the year (20 new states total). Given the recent supreme court ruling, in the long term you should expect sales tax to be collected on most online purchases.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2018, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
When did B&H start charging sales tax?
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June 2018 that states could begin to require out-of-state sellers to collect sales tax. During October 2018 we were required to begin collecting sales tax in 15 states. That number now is up to (I believe) 22.

This ruling applies equally to all similar retailers. It's the same sales tax one would pay at a local brick-n-mortar store in your state, and it's the same tax you'd owe as "use tax" had SCOTUS not made this ruling.
12-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Adorama does not collect sales tax for the state of Alabama!

12-13-2018, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #5
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Adorama does not collect sales tax for the state of Alabama!
We cannot force them to comply, but if Alabama has a sales tax and you buy from Adorama, you're supposed to declare "Use tax" on your state tax form next April, which you sign under penalty of perjury.
01-05-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June 2018 that states could begin to require out-of-state sellers to collect sales tax. During October 2018 we were required to begin collecting sales tax in 15 states. That number now is up to (I believe) 22.

This ruling applies equally to all similar retailers. It's the same sales tax one would pay at a local brick-n-mortar store in your state, and it's the same tax you'd owe as "use tax" had SCOTUS not made this ruling.
What escapes me is why I should have to pay local sales tax on the sale of an item I purchase from a merchant in another state, when I cannot buy that item anywhere in the state where I live.

Since the sale did not occur in the state where I live, that state has no right to tax the transaction.

Is there sales tax in New York City at the B&H store?

Wouldn't it be more fair to tax the sale as if it happened there?

Or should it be taxed based on where it is shipped from?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.
01-07-2019, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #7
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Since the sale did not occur in the state where I live, that state has no right to tax the transaction.
Once you'd have been correct. Now, you are not. I mentioned that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on this in June 2018 States now have the right to compel retailers to comply.
QuoteQuote:
Is there sales tax in New York City at the B&H store?
There is sales tax in NY and for a purchase made in our Manhattan store the rate is 8.875%.
QuoteQuote:
Wouldn't it be more fair to tax the sale as if it happened there?
Or should it be taxed based on where it is shipped from?
You would be taxed at the rate where you are, i.e. where the order is shipped to.