Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't ever shop with B&H again

I've bought lots of computer and photo equipment from B&H over the years, but a recent order has soured me on them forever. Basically they tried to rip me off, got caught, and refused to honor the sale.

I bought a used package with camera, lens, and viewfinder.

But when I received it, I discovered they'd sent an inferior viewfinder and inferior lens (probably well over $200 difference in price new).

When I pointed out the "error" in the VF, they offered a $35 credit. Way less than the original difference in price, but fine, they're hard to find.

Then I requested they send me the correct lens. They have several in stock, used, and I could send back the incorrect one. But no; the supervisor refused. He said they couldn't send a more expensive lens...despite the fact that is this EXACTLY the lens they advertised, that I bought and paid for. In other words, they refused to honor their contract even though they had the goods.

This isn't a misprint or error in price, this is an attempt to sell one thing and substitute cheaper goods. It's sleazy.

I'll off course return the whole package, and all the other items I ordered at the same time, but I'm down with them. There are other sellers that don't attempt to cheat their customers.

06-07-2020, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reach out to Henry - I'm sure you'll be happy to look into it for you: henryp - View Profile - PentaxForums.com
06-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Reach out to Henry - I'm sure you'll be happy to look into it for you: henryp - View Profile - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, but I have already dealt with and corresponded with several people who work there, and aside from getting my money back the transaction is over. Bought the equipment from other sources.
06-07-2020, 04:55 PM - 8 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Thanks, but I have already dealt with and corresponded with several people who work there, and aside from getting my money back the transaction is over. Bought the equipment from other sources.
Well, this is "Ask B&H" so I assumed you'd like some help from them rather than just vent about poor service. Silly me.

06-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, this is "Ask B&H" so I assumed you'd like some help from them rather than just vent about poor service. Silly me.
You're not silly, you just didn't note the dates. Events moved on since my original post. But yeah, if the mods want to remove it, fine with me. I can review them elsewhere.
06-15-2020, 09:14 AM - 5 Likes   #6
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I've bought lots of computer and photo equipment from B&H over the years, but a recent order has soured me on them forever. Basically they tried to rip me off, got caught, and refused to honor the sale.
Re B&H 865895300 I believe this was discussed in dpreview (and in resellerratings) in a thread you titled, "B&H rip-off on used equipment," which a Mod there finally locked.

This order was for a $600 Olympus kit which was supposed to contain a camera, lens and finder. Unfortunately due to our error the kit contents were incorrectly listed, an error for which we have apologized.

Because of the considerable price discrepancy between this kit and the substantially more expensive kit components you wanted, the equitable doctrine of unilateral mistakes applies. Briefly this legal doctrine says, "Rescinding the contract is the only available remedy under unilateral mistake; it is not a basis for reformation ... the retailer must cancel the customer’s order and re-offer the product at the actual price."

We are very sorry for our error and for your dissatisfaction.

Last edited by henryp; 06-15-2020 at 12:06 PM.
06-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the apology. I'll respond when I've received a refund.