Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2020, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Returns processing

Order #873364930

I rec'd return authorization and returned my item which was rec'd and signed for by B&H on the 16th of this month. Here it is a week later and the status is still "not received". I sent an email inquiry on Monday this week. No response. I sent another early yesterday. No response. Decided to try chat yesterday afternoon but got a cryptic banner that chat closed and would reopen at the same minute I was opening the chat? This morning still no response to either of the emails and attempting to open a chat says it is not available today, send an email. So third one sent.

To say I'm not impressed would be an understatement. There are very few avenues left to contact you guys so I hope this one works.

I perfectly understand that everyone's budget is tight and getting tighter, but cutting staff so severely that customer service becomes non-existent is shooting your company in the foot. A good trusting customer is difficult to get and takes a lot of effort to keep. You're now risking years of customer goodwill in order to save a few dollars today? I'm not the only B&H customer complaining about your current state of customer service as noted in forum comments.

As one of my own customers told me a few weeks ago when I complained about expenses of maintaining staff during the pandemic:

"Suck it up buttercup. It's not the first time you've dealt with business problems, don't make the mistake of (angering) customers. There's other places who want my business if you can't handle it"

I've always trusted B&H, and late last year I decided to use you over Adorama 100% from then on after spending $thousands with them in the past five years. I just felt they didn't appreciate me as a customer as much as B&H does. I don't want to regret thinking that.

Please check the status of my return. Please.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-23-2020 at 11:40 AM.
07-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So 24 hours later this "Ask B&H" thread seems to be of little help.

I did finally receive a response of sorts to one of my three emails. Vague, noncommittal and doesn't acknowledge my return was received, but it is what it is and apparently all I'll be getting for the immediate future.

"Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

I apologize for the inconvenience and delay with your return. We are working diligently with our warehouse to ensure that all of our returns are processed in a safe manner during COVID-19. This has drastically slowed down our operation, but we are working around the clock to process all orders that need to be processed for a return. The warehouse has taken extra measures to ensure that we are fully operational. We appreciate your patience with us during this time and thank you for being a loyal B&H customer.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.
"

If I don't see a refund in the next few days I'll try it again. As long as they acknowledge it's been rec'd I'm not quite as concerned as the refund will eventually follow. In the meantime I'm a bit worried I'll end up jumping thru hoops to prove they got it back. I've already downloaded the FedX delivery receipt and have it ready to submit if that happens.

As of this morning, 8 days after they got it, it still shows "not received". So they end up losing at least 2 orders from me while I wait: A pair of Sony 960 batteries and a Godox VL-200 with v-mount batteries will be coming from Adorama and not B&H.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-24-2020 at 09:48 AM.
07-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This morning I rec'd an email dated one hour ago acknowledging the return. Half the battle over 10 days after they got it back, two weeks since I returned it. Not happy, but happy-er than I was. There's really no excuse for not answering emails, at least within a day or so, and making chat unavailable to in effect cut off communications with your customer.

When business is threatened it's better to double-down on making the customers you do have feel at ease rather than go into hibernation to save a few dollars and risk losing your most solid customers.
4 Days Ago   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
This morning I rec'd an email dated one hour ago acknowledging the return. Half the battle over 10 days after they got it back, two weeks since I returned it. Not happy, but happy-er than I was. There's really no excuse for not answering emails, at least within a day or so, and making chat unavailable to in effect cut off communications with your customer.
Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. We make Chat unavailable when the volume of incoming chats and those in the queue are too many for us to reasonably expect to handle.It is NOT an effort to cut off communications. FWIW I had the exact same high-call-volume long-wait-time experience a week or so ago with the NYTimes.

I am sorry the volume of incoming calls and emails was quite a bit more than we expected and we were unable to respond to every one as quickly as customers deserve.

The refund for your return has been processed and transmitted to your bank. After that it usually takes several business days before your bank can confirm the refund to you. This part of the process is outside our control and e cannot make it go any more quickly.

4 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryp Quote
Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. We make Chat unavailable when the volume of incoming chats and those in the queue are too many for us to reasonably expect to handle.It is NOT an effort to cut off communications. FWIW I had the exact same experience a week or so ago with the NYTimes.

I am sorry the volume of incoming calls and emails was quite a bit more than we expected and we were unable to respond to every one as quickly as customers deserve.

The refund for your return has been processed and transmitted to your bank. After that it usually takes several business days before your bank can confirm the refund to you. This part of the process is outside our control and e cannot make it go any more quickly.
Thanks Henry for the reply. It would have been nicer to hear from you a week ago, or answers to my first emails sent to B&H customer service from the week prior and the tone of this thread avoided.

I perfectly understand the difficulties in keeping up with inquiries but B&H has always been busy yet never before taken so long to respond. Not a peep for over a week, not from you and not from customer service. Unless there were severe staffing cuts I really don't see any excuse for taking several days or more to get back to a customer. I would rather not have resorted to a post on the forums in the first place as I've very often recommended B&H here and elsewhere and wish them continuing success. They've been a friend of PentaxForums and I have no intention of casting them in a bad light.

I'll still be purchasing from B&H in all likelihood, but TBH my attitude towards the company has changed a bit.