Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What do you do with defective cameras?

Not a Pentax, but I thought perhaps I could get a better answer here than I did from my B&H rep..

Just bought a Leica MP .58. When I received it I noticed the frame counter was broken, then after googling this I found out it was a common problem, but easily fixable.
So I wrote back to the B&H rep, and asked if I could get a refund for the amount to fix it. I included the email between me and the Leica tech (DAG), and offered that they could confirm directly with DAG by providing his contact info.
The reply was no can do, send it back and I'll get a refund. Which is cool I guess, but I wanted the camera (as a .58 is hard to get) and thought that as it would have to be fixed anyway before selling it again, why not just let me keep it and refund the repair?
So I asked again, and was told because for warranty reasons it can only be repaired by the manufacturer. Which would make sense if this is a new camera, but it is used! So no warranty. Plus mfg repair would mean sending it to Leica NJ who charges about $800 for this repair. DAG charges $140..

I kept it and am paying for the repair out of pocket, but it just is very disappointing that B&H would not work with me on this issue.

12-15-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I kept it and am paying for the repair out of pocket, but it just is very disappointing that B&H would not work with me on this issue.
Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. Send me an email with the original order number, please. If there's anything I can do, I will.
12-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, email sent.
01-06-2021, 12:32 PM - 7 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update.

Henry reached out and took care of this. I was refunded the cost of the repair (after I had sent the paid invoice for the repair of course).

This is exemplary customer service, and they made me a very happy and satisfied customer!

Thanks so much Henry and B&H.

01-07-2021, 10:25 AM - 8 Likes   #5
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
Update.
Henry reached out and took care of this. I was refunded the cost of the repair (after I had sent the paid invoice for the repair of course).
This is exemplary customer service, and they made me a very happy and satisfied customer!
Thanks so much Henry and B&H.
I am glad we could resolve this amicably and grateful you took the time to say so here.