Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Big disappointment - used lens order

I recently ordered a used (grade 9) DFA 150-450 from B&H. Shipping was lightning fast to their credit.

Unfortunately, it arrived DOA. Not only was a chunk of the (metal) tripod foot broken off (noting it was packed separately in a ziploc bag), the aperture would only barely open from the fully closed position; the lever on the lens mount did not freely move to the wide open spot. I'm not sure if mounting this lens to a body would have damaged the body's aperture control mechanism, but I'm sure glad I didn't try.

While it's entirely possible that UPS mishandled the box during shipment, the likelihood of a chunk of the tripod foot coming loose (while packed on its own rather than mounted on the lens) along with the aperture being damaged in transit is remote. The lens was well packaged in its padded case inside a bubble wrapped box which in turn was inside a slightly larger box with even more padding.

Fortunately, their customer service looks like they'll facilitate a return. It's a bit of a chore for me because it was shipped to Canada and therefore I need to get tax / duty refunded separately but apparently, it's doable, however inconvenient.

I'm posting this mostly in the hopes that B&H can verify or ensure its used equipment evaluation practices don't miss more subtle functionality testing beyond the cosmetic condition (which is indeed consistent with a 9 in this case). Of course, it's possible that it's simply bad luck, since I have seen two lenses whose apertures got ruined in transit (a Nikon lens in carryon luggage while traveling, the other a lens I shipped to another PF member). On the other hand, I've ordered countless lenses used without a single issue in nearly 20 years!

02-14-2022, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like you I've purchased many a used item from B&H and it's been rare that one of them wasn't properly graded, tho it did happen on one item with missing components. In fairness, I've also rec'd used gear that I would have graded higher than they did.

I personally trust their grading and suspect at least part of the damage to your lens happened during transit. Also possible that the used lens wasn't properly tested either.

To their credit they're taking responsibility for it no matter where it happened. That in itself is a great reason to deal with them. I've had other used gear sources refuse until either my credit card company or funding source threatened a chargeback.
02-16-2022, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
I recently ordered a used (grade 9) DFA 150-450 from B&H. Shipping was lightning fast to their credit.

Unfortunately, it arrived DOA. Not only was a chunk of the (metal) tripod foot broken off (noting it was packed separately in a ziploc bag), the aperture would only barely open from the fully closed position; the lever on the lens mount did not freely move to the wide open spot. I'm not sure if mounting this lens to a body would have damaged the body's aperture control mechanism, but I'm sure glad I didn't try.
Thank you for your order and this feedback. We regret your dissatisfaction. I found your original transaction and I am sharing this with the used dept manager. I see you and our customer service dept have already reached an accommodation. Nevertheless I am sorry for this situation and for your inconvenience.
02-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Henry - I think B&H did a pretty good job to sort things out.

If anybody is interested, I ended up fiddling with the aperture lever and rapidly flicked it back and forth and it eventually loosened up and now moves freely throughout the entire range. I tested it on my K100D first, and once I saw it worked, I tested it on my other newer bodies and everything looks in order.

Hard to say what happened, but maybe the spring was kept compressed for so long that it got sticky/gunky and just needed some movement to make it less sticky. Maybe it was prolonged exposure to cold temps in transit.

When mounted on a camera, the spring is expanded to keep the aperture open. I've been told to keep the aperture closed when storing lenses (the default behaviour when there is no aperture ring), but maybe this is one example of why that might not be a good idea? The understood risk of storing lenses wide open is that the spring stays stretched out and may eventually cause the aperture to close too slowly when the body tries to stop down the lens.