Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I hadn't really heard of the 4990 before, but I'll have a look to see if there are any available around the place.

cheers,
Jason
I don't think 4990 is available as new, maybe you can find used one somewhere.

V700 can be had for A$729 at CPL in Melbourne CPL Computers and Parts Land* . Maybe you can do price match in Perth?

05-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I added to Steve's thread an example of MF negative scan (645) between the Nikon LS-8000 and the V700.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...on-images.html

It is night and day in that specific example but as I explained the LS-8000 is just not reliable and will need to be serviced or sold for parts...

Cheers,

Luc
06-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
I don't think 4990 is available as new, maybe you can find used one somewhere.

V700 can be had for A$729 at CPL in Melbourne CPL Computers and Parts Land* . Maybe you can do price match in Perth?
Meant to reply to this earlier, thanks for the link and yes price matching may be possible.

Luc, thanks for the comparisons. Call me crazy, but I am still seriouslly considering the V700 at this stage. I think the results are 'good enough' for my usage, but we'll see. It's still really quite expensive. I'm aiming to check out some local shops on Saturday.

thanks for the help guys.
cheers,
06-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
*update*
I finally made a decision and purchased a V700 today. Will post some of my first scans sometime over the weekend.

cheers,

06-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
*update*
I finally made a decision and purchased a V700 today. Will post some of my first scans sometime over the weekend.

cheers,
OK so now all you need is to go MF 645, 67 and 500C are calling you!!!
I am not sure if for 35mm you can add an ANR glass on the holder that was provided. On the MF holder there is no problem and I can scan with perfectly flat negatives.
You might also spend some time reviewing various sharpening options in Photoshop as it makes a big difference on the finished product.

Cheers,

Luc
06-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would love to go MF! At this stage I am trying to tell myself to not buy another camera until next year, so I can try and save money (I say this after just buying a nice MX to play with!)
But at some stage I will get into it. I would also like to work on my composition and general photography skills first too Be embarrasing to shoot crappy photos with a nice 645!

In the mean time I do have my grandmothers kodak six-16 folder (from early '30s), which I have managed to fit 120 film in. Haven't finished the roll yet, but that will be my first roll of 120 film.

I will definitely have to look at methods to keep the negs flat soon, already I have noticed some considerable difference between curly negatives and flat ones.
Yeah, I will need to put aside a considerable amount of time finding the most effective sharpening and scanning options.
Thanks for the pointers!

cheers,
Jason
06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
If you go to my flickr page you'll find examples. Just about every pic there is scanned with the V700, there's both 35mm and MF. I have one 3200dpi scan at full resolution online here, I could upload another if you are interested.
Jimfear,
I hope you don't mind me doing this! If you take that image into photoshop, downsample using bicubic sharper to 2400 DPI. Then use bicubic smoother to re-upsize to 3200DPI. Then copy that image and paste it directly over your original 3200 DPI file, you'll notice that they are essentially identical, even at very high magnification.
Edit: However, I'll admit that this test isn't the best for judging resolution. A better way would be to do one scan at ~2400 and upsize it, then zoom into 400-800% and compare at the pixel level to your regular workflow's results. In my experience, the difference between 2400 and 3200 is actually pretty small and has more to do with micro-contrast and detail. Downsizing causes relatively little loss.

That 2200-2500 rating has been proven by more than one source... But that's not really a big deal, most photographers, myself included, have a hard time putting down more than 50lp/mm in all but the best of cases. Truth is, a good 2000 SPI scan of 6x7 or 6x9 is still as good or better than even the new 24mp 35mm cameras.

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 06-10-2010 at 07:25 AM.
06-10-2010, 01:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

ANR glass inserts for the V700 are available here and are a good investment.

As I have said in another thread, the V700/750 is, in my opinion, good enough for prints up to around A3, but you have to put the work in on each scan - capture sharpening, local-contrast enhancement, tonal correction. It's not a scanner for high-quality archiving of large collections. Also, you will only get the best from your scanner if you ditch the Epson software and use Silverfast or perhaps Vuescan. It's weird, but the Epson driver just seems incapable of giving decent results from this scanner.
06-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link artobest. Have you used the ANR glass inserts, and if so did you purchase from that site?
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
... It's weird, but the Epson driver just seems incapable of giving decent results from this scanner.
I haven't owned a V700, so I can't say for sure, but the biggest difference I noticed on my v500 and 2450 when I had them, was that the Epson software sets the input black and white points so that they cause lots of clipping and crushing. It then sets the output at something like 10-200 instead of 1-255. Once you set them where it's supposed to be, it wasn't much worse than Vuescan.

I just read this a few days ago comparing Silverfast and Epson Scan.

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 06-10-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: wrong values
06-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but there is a decent collection of scanners compared here. It's far from perfect, but it's a good collection and all of the same slide. The biggest flaw being the competency of the operator and not knowing the actual settings that were applied. The second being that the sharpening is not equal; some look over-sharpened and some under-sharpened. But it'll at least give an idea of what different scanners look like at 2400SPI.
06-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Jason, I haven't used the ANR glass since I do most of my 35mm with a film scanner, but since I've grown more fond of the Epson in recent times I will be buying the ANR insert quite soon.
06-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
...it wasn't much worse than Vuescan.
That is what I would expect. It is the driver that determines what features and tuning are available to expose to the end user. Epson Scan, Vuescan, and Silverfast all use the Epson driver if it is installed. Vuescan can use its own driver if the Epson driver is not present. I have read good reports regarding the Vuescan driver, but have not tried it because doing so will disable both Epson Scan and Silverfast.

Steve

P.S. Now there might be an interesting project. There is an Open Source SANE driver for the V700 and I can code up my own RCP GUI...<evil grin>

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-10-2010 at 09:24 AM.
06-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I don't know if you guys have seen this, but there is a decent collection of scanners compared here. It's far from perfect, but it's a good collection and all of the same slide. The biggest flaw being the competency of the operator and not knowing the actual settings that were applied. The second being that the sharpening is not equal; some look over-sharpened and some under-sharpened. But it'll at least give an idea of what different scanners look like at 2400SPI.
Those comparisons are pretty interesting. I agree with your comment regarding competence and settings. Some of the examples look way over-sharpened.

Steve
06-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those comparisons are pretty interesting. I agree with your comment regarding competence and settings. Some of the examples look way over-sharpened.

Steve
It's easy to see the effect the operator has on the scan because some scanners have multiple scans just by different people. The differences between the Tango scans are pretty big, for example. Also the differences between the Eversmart Supreme I vs II are pretty striking considering they are essentially identical scanners.

For what it's worth, I have an Eversmart Jazz+ which is pretty equal to the original Eversmart on that list. I'd say my results are a little bit better than what they got, but I haven't seen the slide, so it's hard to say.